1/6 Hot Toys - POTC5 - Jack Sparrow Figure (Artisan Edition + Regular) Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The DX15 is one of HT best releases personally and my favorite release from the company. So it pissed me off to know end when the kids let the dog get into my stuff and poor Jack Sparrow was the victim and the box was destroyed and teeth marks are present on the second head sculpt.....

The only thing I really wanted was the wheel base from the previous release and well given its present here and the condition of my DX15, I may need to upgrade. 😆

Woof -- this is a tough one
I am still SUPER happy with my DX06, its still one of the best Hot Toys figures ever and a cracking representation of our beloved Captain Jack...
BUT there are parts of this figure I really like and I do wonder if its time to update [but is this an upgrade or not I can't tell!]
Agreed. With the dreads being sculpted as well as they are, a fabric bandana would go a long way on the non-artisan version. But that's probably why HT didn't include it for that version as the only reason remaining to go for the Artisan version would be the "real" dreads. Ironically, one could get the non-artisan and a real fabric bandana from Dino and most likely still come out cheaper than going all in for the Artisan.

I mean, even if you didn't want to pay for a the full figure and have 2 of the same character, this will get parted at at the typical places like Toy Anxiety and MonkeyDepot along with eBay, so plenty of opportunity to grab the parts you desire. At first, they'll be hard to get most likely, just like the DX Luke Skywalker heads were, but after a little bit, it'll be easily attainable.
This may well be the path I go - I imagine it will be pretty hard at first to get those particular pieces like the leather belts and boots, but with those upgrades also being part of the standard release hopefully enough of them will be parted out.

@Gipetto0812 - you really are the man with the plan when it comes to these Pirates figures - help this old [in spirit] indecisive git make a decision, is this significantly better than the DX06?
Looks great, but I already have DX06 and don't really see the need to upgrade as it is one of HT's best figures ever in my opinion.
Now... that is the question isn't it?
I may be in the same boat

The DX15 is one of HT best releases personally and my favorite release from the company. So it pissed me off to know end when the kids let the dog get into my stuff and poor Jack Sparrow was the victim and the box was destroyed and teeth marks are present on the second head sculpt.....

The only thing I really wanted was the wheel base from the previous release and well given its present here and the condition of my DX15, I may need to upgrade. 😆

images

OSK has the regular and deluxe up for PO. I will most likely just go for the standard. Hopefully it goes up soon as I have some SSC rewards expiring soon.

So I’m correct in that there is a standard, a deluxe and then a separate artisan version? Thank you

OSK has the regular and deluxe up for PO. I will most likely just go for the standard. Hopefully it goes up soon as I have some SSC rewards expiring soon.

Thank you for the heads up on Kit. I thought I was going to go for the deluxe, but when I really thought about it I decided I didn't need the elaborate display base (especially since the regular still gets a wheel, just without the rest). I PO'd the standard.

I don't have a Capt. Jack in my collection so I'm very excited for this!

So I’m correct in that there is a standard, a deluxe and then a separate artisan version? Thank you
Looks like!
Interestingly the standard still comes with the Ship's Wheel - the difference between the standard and the deluxe seems to be the watery/rock base with the treasure chest
Which is probably why the costs are so close.
I might have preferred an "even more standard" option :ROFLMAO: with no wheel to save some money - I already have a wheel from the DX06

is this significantly better than the DX06?

I think a lot depends on your level of investment in the character and the value of a Jack Sparrow figure in your collection.

For folks like Gipetto0812, Rzeznikk and myself, our Jack Sparrow figures hold a great value to us personally and we've invested a lot of ourselves into making the "perfect" Jack for our collections.

I had the DX06 and heavily customized it, but unfortunately had to sell it. By the time I could buy it again, DX15 was being released so I went with the cheaper, more updated figure.

As far as stock figures go, I actually consider the DX06 the overall better figure, I think the materials were overall better. However, the size of heads and hands on DX06 are a little off, hands a tad too large, heads a tad too small. DX15 resolved both with smaller hands and larger heads, but the trade off was less variety of hands and the hands are specific to Pirates 5 with extra wraps and finger tattoos. I bought DX06 hands for my custom. Despite the size issue, the variety and look suit me more.

These latest Jacks look to have small upgrades. The hand variety looks great, but again, you're getting ones specific to a single movie that don't represent any other in the series.

If you're on a budget and better served saving money for totally new figures, I think staying with the DX06 is just fine. A compromise could be keeping that figure and trying to buy a piece or two sold loose to upgrade it. Depending on how much you want to upgrade though, you'd be better off buying an entire figure because the prices on parts can run high.

Okay so from the product description it seems like the baldrick, crocodile belt and hat are all still pleather

I think a lot depends on your level of investment in the character and the value of a Jack Sparrow figure in your collection.

For folks like Gipetto0812, Rzeznikk and myself, our Jack Sparrow figures hold a great value to us personally and we've invested a lot of ourselves into making the "perfect" Jack for our collections.

I had the DX06 and heavily customized it, but unfortunately had to sell it. By the time I could buy it again, DX15 was being released so I went with the cheaper, more updated figure.

As far as stock figures go, I actually consider the DX06 the overall better figure, I think the materials were overall better. However, the size of heads and hands on DX06 are a little off, hands a tad too large, heads a tad too small. DX15 resolved both with smaller hands and larger heads, but the trade off was less variety of hands and the hands are specific to Pirates 5 with extra wraps and finger tattoos. I bought DX06 hands for my custom. Despite the size issue, the variety and look suit me more.

These latest Jacks look to have small upgrades. The hand variety looks great, but again, you're getting ones specific to a single movie that don't represent any other in the series.

If you're on a budget and better served saving money for totally new figures, I think staying with the DX06 is just fine. A compromise could be keeping that figure and trying to buy a piece or two sold loose to upgrade it. Depending on how much you want to upgrade though, you'd be better off buying an entire figure because the prices on parts can run high.
Awesome advice mate,
I think that may well be the way I go - funds are pretty limited RN and I do really LOVE my DX06.
Gonna have a think re: parts - if ALL the belts and leather elements were genuine leather I think I would have caved but seeing as its only the two "normal" brown belts its not as exciting + the suede like material of the DX06 boots are under no threat of deteriorating so while it would be nice to upgrade them to leather its not essential.
If I had more funds available I would go for it, but honestly I think you have the right of it.
I'll sit on it and have a proper think but my gut says go ahead as you say and just find the pieces to upgrade my DX06

the suede like material of the DX06 boots are under no threat of deteriorating so while it would be nice to upgrade them to leather its not essential.

I actually prefer the DX06 boots, the soft material lets them look more floppy and loose like Jack's boots, the DX15 boots are quite stiff. I don't know what the material used for them is, it's not pleather and doesn't feel like anything that would ever deteriorate, and these new figures look to be made of the same material.

Looks like!
Interestingly the standard still comes with the Ship's Wheel - the difference between the standard and the deluxe seems to be the watery/rock base with the treasure chest
Which is probably why the costs are so close.
I might have preferred an "even more standard" option :ROFLMAO: with no wheel to save some money - I already have a wheel from the DX06

Thanks! That confirms my understanding.

I actually prefer the DX06 boots, the soft material lets them look more floppy and loose like Jack's boots, the DX15 boots are quite stiff. I don't know what the material used for them is, it's not pleather and doesn't feel like anything that would ever deteriorate, and these new figures look to be made of the same material.
They are great boots - plus I actually like the slight contrast in colour a little more

The irony here may well be that rather than updating my DX06 with the newest figure's portrait, its possible that this new release will just make DX15 parts more affordable and accessible! :ROFLMAO:
I don't anticipate many Artisan figures being parted out, but that still leaves 2 separate releases coming to be parted out, one would hope that with 4 different Jacks, parts might not be so expensive to get, as DX06 figures can still be found parted out on eBay.

The trouble with parted out figures is that the seller's a trying to make a profit after dropping $250+ on the figure.

I don't anticipate many Artisan figures being parted out, but that still leaves 2 separate releases coming to be parted out, one would hope that with 4 different Jacks, parts might not be so expensive to get, as DX06 figures can still be found parted out on eBay.

The trouble with parted out figures is that the seller's a trying to make a profit after dropping $250+ on the figure.
Absolutely true and sometimes the prices they ask are insane - for example I want a Sandman base from the latest Tobey Spidey figure and the prices of them on eBay have been as much as half the original figure itself - or even equal to it.
I prefer to use Monkeydepot, Toy Anxiety or Machinegunfigures if I can - they tend to sell the parted pieces at a decent price [though sometimes the shipping makes small orders from them financially unfeasible to a UK collector]
From these varying Jacks I think I would like a head from the DX15 or the new one and just pick up some of the more impressive face plates from the DX15 if they are compatible, the belts [and god help me even the crocodile belt - its garish in an awesome way, I just need to try and prevent it being too busy] and maybe the LED lamp
I like the watery/rock base and would get it if I saw it for cheap - though I would probably use it for a different figure I have in mind, but its not a driving factor here.
I also think I like the richer brown of the baldrick on this one - but that may be just the lighting.

Back