1/6 Hot Toys - MMS745/745B - Episode III: Revenge of The Sith - Darth Sidious

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I read through the comments and the Emperor doesn't seem to be well received? Sorry, I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I would still like to have an Emperor in my collection. Is this emperor really that bad? Which of the 3 Hot Toys Imperator collectible figures would you recommend to me? Of course it is also a matter of opinion and taste. By the way, if my dentist would see the Emperor's teeth... Well, goodnight. 🫣

He looks fantastic. I would prefer he had a second neutral sculpt too but he spent the entire third act cackling so it's not a deal dealbreaker.

Hey, I read through the comments and the Emperor doesn't seem to be well received? Sorry, I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I would still like to have an Emperor in my collection. Is this emperor really that bad? Which of the 3 Hot Toys Imperator collectible figures would you recommend to me? Of course it is also a matter of opinion and taste. By the way, if my dentist would see the Emperor's teeth... Well, goodnight. 🫣
If you want only one disfigured Palps, I'd say this one looks more premium than the old ROTJ release. People saying otherwise are either A) OT purists, or B) under the impression this is an inaccurate sculpt because it doesn't match screenshots with context-specific lighting or facial expressions.

My personal opinion is that the makeup design in ROTS has always been superior to/creepier than ROTJ, but it was sadly underserved by the cinematography and direction for a few major scenes.

Last edited:
If you want only one disfigured Palps, I'd say this one looks more premium than the old ROTJ release. People saying otherwise are either A) OT purists, or B) under the impression this is an inaccurate sculpt because it doesn't match screenshots with context-specific lighting or facial expressions.

My personal opinion is that the makeup design in ROTS has always been superior to/creepier than ROTJ, but it was sadly underserved by the cinematography and direction for a few major scenes.
First of all, thank you very much for your opinion. I looked at all three versions of the Emperor that were announced or published by Hot Tos. I actually think this version is pretty damn good. Yes, I think I've seen all the Star Wars films and sorry, I'm actually not a fan. But I only have villains in my collection and an Emperor is a must have.

I’m getting both. I was going to use the CW version for my ROTS display but when I saw this I had to pick it up. The colors seem a bit more saturated on the CW version which will make it different on display.

As far as the ROTS colors go it does look a bit more purple than the Sideshow version. Although with the right lighting or flash photography it shows as purple as well.

IMG_8610.jpeg
IMG_8609.jpeg

You can see it looks more grey towards the bottom but more purple at the top where the light hits it directly.

Yes it really is that bad….cartoon style face….the grinning expression is way off….
Pay up and get the original emperor release imo…

Yes it really is that bad….cartoon style face….the grinning expression is way off….
How is it a cartoonish embellishment when it's nearly 1:1 with an actual expression made by the actor in the role? It's not "off," you just don't like it.

I think Emperor's grin is creepy in a good way and the head sculpt is fantastic. I'm writing this as not a fan of Stars Wars and completely objective. In fact, it's also a matter of taste. I asked you in the “hardcore” community of Star Wars fans and collectors whether you could/would recommend this Emperor to me. I only have villains in my collection and unfortunately none from Star Wars. I almost had the Tarkin but that didn't work out.

I think Emperor's grin is creepy in a good way and the head sculpt is fantastic. I'm writing this as not a fan of Stars Wars and completely objective. In fact, it's also a matter of taste. I asked you in the “hardcore” community of Star Wars fans and collectors whether you could/would recommend this Emperor to me. I only have villains in my collection and unfortunately none from Star Wars. I almost had the Tarkin but that didn't work out.
The photo the sculpt is based off may be a reference photo but the figure doesn't get much better than this in my opinion.

Comparison shot courtesy of @Darth Meda

Attachments

• 511470-IMG-3373.jpeg
    511470-IMG-3373.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 0
The sculpt is great, personally I prefer the RotJ version, nothing wrong with the new one, the rolling sith eyes is a big upgrade

The photo the sculpt is based off may be a reference photo but the figure doesn't get much better than this in my opinion.

Comparison shot courtesy of @Darth Meda
I actually don't think this version of Imperator is bad. However, Hot Toys quality has declined in recent years - see Tobey Maguire Spider-Man NWH and many other collectible figures. But I personally think this one is pretty neat. As I wrote, I'm not a Star Wars fan but I'll probably buy these for my villain collection. Maybe this version of the Emperor isn't 100% the same as in Stars Wars: Episode III? I watched the film yesterday. But that honestly wouldn't bother me. Unfortunately, this is the case with Tobey Maguire Spider-Man NWH and Whiplash 2.0!

Of course you can expect more for these prices, that may be the case, but unfortunately I think those days are over... #Quantity 🤔🤷‍♂️

I actually don't think this version of Imperator is bad. However, Hot Toys quality has declined in recent years - see Tobey Maguire Spider-Man NWH and many other collectible figures. But I personally think this one is pretty neat. As I wrote, I'm not a Star Wars fan but I'll probably buy these for my villain collection. Maybe this version of the Emperor isn't 100% the same as in Stars Wars: Episode III? I watched the film yesterday. But that honestly wouldn't bother me. Unfortunately, this is the case with Tobey Maguire Spider-Man NWH and Whiplash 2.0!

Of course you can expect more for these prices, that may be the case, but unfortunately I think those days are over... #Quantity 🤔🤷‍♂️
How do you mean with not 100% the same? I think it is.

Tobey was definitely a downgrade, and probably Whiplash too (I've distanced myself from Marvel since Endgame), but I don't think this guy will be. For a villain shelf, this guy would definitely pop, or a ROTJ Emperor if that's your preference. This Sidious is going on my villain shelf, the villains always get put on top of Detolfs to prevent my cats from jumping up on them, so he'll stand next to Thanos and an eventual Sauron.

How do you mean with not 100% the same? I think it is.

Tobey was definitely a downgrade, and probably Whiplash too (I've distanced myself from Marvel since Endgame), but I don't think this guy will be. For a villain shelf, this guy would definitely pop, or a ROTJ Emperor if that's your preference. This Sidious is going on my villain shelf, the villains always get put on top of Detolfs to prevent my cats from jumping up on them, so he'll stand next to Thanos and an eventual Sauron.
I'm not sure about the hooded robe to be honest, even though I watched Star Wars: Episode III last night. This version of the Emperor will be in the display case next to Gorr the God Slayer. 🔥🤟

How is it a cartoonish embellishment when it's nearly 1:1 with an actual expression made by the actor in the role? It's not "off," you just don't like it.
Rise of Skywalker enjoyer's opinions are void to me.

@freddykrueger is right. The sculpt is poor. And you can't judge a likeness based off a single shot in obscure lighting.

Is it less spot on then the Rotj sculpt and more idolized? Very much so in my opinion, but there is no timeline where this sculpt is bad.

Back