1/6 Hot Toys - MMS298 - Star Wars: Episode IV - Princess Leia Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided to try the hood up.
View attachment 438403

applause 2.gif

Why? HT still has Bosch, Slave(please!) and Endor still to do. She’s still available at several shops and really has not appreciated to unbelievable 2nd market prices. Plus with all this said, now that she is deceased whatever could be done falls to an issue with her likeness in the future with her estate calling the shots.

Boushh? And what shops is it available at? You can't say it hasn't appreciated to the secondary marketplace prices when that's what people are paying for. Her estate obviously approved the TLJ figure, so I can't see that being an issue.

She was available for quite a while before it sold out from her unfortunate death. Also a quick look at eBay finished sales on Han solo, Luke, Chewbacca and Obi-wan she is right in line and less than those characters. I do not consider 25% increase a large appreciation especially for an iconic character piece like the ANH Leia. The sharp rise of her prices was purely scalpers obviously taking advantage of her death and it will go lower now as more versions of her slowly make their way into the collections.

I agree, we should get the newer versions long before there’s any chance of this going to a re-release.

I know we'll get newer versions and I do doubt there will be a re-release of this one; but this is definitely her iconic look. If people are going to buy 1 Leia, most will pick this over Hoth/Bespin or whatever else they make. And the first movie looks are all very iconic so they've all gone up in price accordingly with Leia. Plus for Han, Chewie, and Obi-Wan they're the only OT versions available at all.

Boushh? And what shops is it available at? You can't say it hasn't appreciated to the secondary marketplace prices when that's what people are paying for. Her estate obviously approved the TLJ figure, so I can't see that being an issue.

I know we'll get newer versions and I do doubt there will be a re-release of this one; but this is definitely her iconic look. If people are going to buy 1 Leia, most will pick this over Hoth/Bespin or whatever else they make.

iPhone auto-correct but glad you could still decipher it. I didn’t say it has NOT appreciated, just not something to the levels of Avengers Loki or recent figs like a Thor Roadworn or even Hela very lately as an example of over 50% appreciation. I’m sure her rights to the next trilogy was done in advance of her death, so it’s not in the bag what will be for the future. What’s out and coming is obviously a done deal.

And the first movie looks are all very iconic so they've all gone up in price accordingly with Leia. Plus for Han, Chewie, and Obi-Wan they're the only OT versions available at all.

You just restated my point, she is not carrying any special premium. Reading, its “FUN”damental.

And what shops is it available at?
Hmm.... let’s see....
https://www.blackopstoys.com/products/star-wars-princess-leia-mint-in-box

There are two other places I found as well.

Last edited:
She was available for quite a while before it sold out from her unfortunate death. Also a quick look at eBay finished sales on Han solo, Luke, Chewbacca and Obi-wan she is right in line and less than those characters. I do not consider 25% increase a large appreciation especially for an iconic character piece like the ANH Leia. The sharp rise of her prices was purely scalpers obviously taking advantage of her death and it will go lower now as more versions of her slowly make their way into the collections.

I agree, we should get the newer versions long before there’s any chance of this going to a re-release.

That was one single recent auction that was 25% above retail. Most were considerably more.
Hmm.... let’s see....

That's almost double retail. For most that's pretty high appreciation. And some of the ebay auctions are set much higher than that.

Anyway, not to labour the point, but aside from a few lucky bidding auctions, a lot of "collectors" would consider this one beyond their reach now. Especially those who are already starting to cut back based on the trajectory of prices.

Last edited:
That was one single recent auction that was 25% above retail. Most were considerably more.

Then they overpaid, Ebay is a speculator paradise. Patience pays and you can find desperation and deals all the time. I do not consider Ebay the end all be all for pricing a figure. Coupons, eBay bucks, hype/desperation and timing are all factors in that irrational speculative toy “market” if that’s what we want to identify Ebay as.:lol

Last edited:

That's almost double retail. For most that's pretty high appreciation. And some of the ebay auctions are set much higher than that.

Anyway, not to labour the point, but aside from a few lucky bidding auctions, a lot of "collectors" would consider this one beyond their reach now. Especially those who are already starting to cut back based on the trajectory of prices.

There’s a 30% off coupon. They raise all their prices with their coupons. It’s $280USD. I cannot speak on individual finances but if this is a piece someone wants in a collection they are going to figure out a way. If $75 bucks is breaking the bank to get a Leia then they are in the wrong hobby.

GYX7JdI.png

Then they over paid, Ebay is a speculator paradise. Patience pays and you can find desperation and deals all the time. I do not consider Ebay the end all be all for pricing a figure. Coupons, eBay bucks, hype/desperation and timing are all factors in that irrational speculative toy “market” if that’s what we want to identify Ebay as.:lol

Yes ebay (and amazon market place) are full of overpriced speculators, however completed sold auctions can be a good gauge of market price. And those ebay bucks and coupons only help Americans. The rest of us have to also deal with import taxes, duty and ridiculous shipping. I only bring up those things to counter the notion we can all get discounts on those prices. Even your own link was to a double retail price figure. For a lot, that's not a reasonable price and hence aside from the luck of a cheap listing, this is for a lot of collectors (moreso international collectors), out of reach.

For those that can get it at that price it's not a bad deal. It's $370USD with shipping and tax to me even with that coupon.

My point being, this figure is now expensive.

Last edited:
Yes ebay (and amazon market place) are full of overpriced speculators, however completed sold auctions can be a good gauge of market price. And those ebay bucks and coupons only help Americans. The rest of us have to also deal with import taxes, duty and ridiculous shipping. I only bring up those things to counter the notion we can all get discounts on those prices. Even your own link was to a double retail price figure. For a lot, that's not a reasonable price and hence aside from the luck of a cheap listing, this is for a lot of collectors (moreso international collectors), out of reach.

But you are now mixing drinks, a select population’s access and ability to pay for a figure doesn’t necessarily impact the average price for the figures. If anything, with global listings and shipping it shows how little impact global collectors have on eBay prices. The duties and taxes are on every figure and that is known going in the hobby for overseas collectors. US will soon have state tax on all figures, so that increase will be in place. Every collector could pay a premium above the retail in the secondary market once something sells out. Those fees and appreciated costs are on Leia, iron man, terminator or predator so that’s is not a relevant point. If someone wants a Leia they need to figure out the budget.

We are talking different issues here. That's ok. We don't have to agree. My only point is for a lot of collectors the price (total in your living room price) is now beyond what they are prepared to pay. Whether that's right or wrong or what people are willing to pay/able to pay or whether this is the hobby for them is something else. From a raw total $ perspective, this figure is now too much for most. And you are right it happens with a lot of other figures. There are many I missed and am not prepared to pay the aftermarket price on. Plenty of other things demanding my funds.

I understand your point as well. Not trying to flame just so you are aware. Glad to have a convo without attacks and blasts.
Thank you for the discussion. :duff

PS if anyone grabs that Leia how about a shout out.:lol

I understand your point as well. Not trying to flame just so you are aware. Glad to have a convo without attacks and blasts.
Thank you for the discussion. :duff

PS if anyone grabs that Leia how about a shout out.:lol

Oh no flaming at all. It's actually a very interesting topic. I've enjoyed discussing. :duff

So many factors affecting peoples ability to participate in this hobby.

iPhone auto-correct but glad you could still decipher it. I didn’t say it has NOT appreciated, just not something to the levels of Avengers Loki or recent figs like a Thor Roadworn or even Hela very lately as an example of over 50% appreciation. I’m sure her rights to the next trilogy was done in advance of her death, so it’s not in the bag what will be for the future. What’s out and coming is obviously a done deal.

You just restated my point, she is not carrying any special premium. Reading, its “FUN”damental.

Hmm.... let’s see....

Coupon or no coupon (how are we supposed to know there's a coupon? I've never heard of that store) she is still commanding at least what the other guys are getting, but if they release another Han or Chewie those prices would go down a bit. There's already been another well received Leia and another for preorder and the ANH one is still getting that price bump. Once Bespin Han is announced I bet you'll see a glut of ANH Han's hit eBay, but no one's selling ANH Leia.

The other examples you pointed at are Marvel properties. There's Iron Man's selling for $7-800 and they make 50 different IMs and there's STILL demand. Marvel is in another league above SW right now and we can't compare apples to oranges for demand. The only SW one that's pretty high is DX07 and it came with 2 figures and was released at already high price point.

You can't just be like 'oh all those auctions are people overpaying, that's not her true value' when sold auctions are the true value no matter what you think.

Coupon or no coupon (how are we supposed to know there's a coupon? I've never heard of that store) she is still commanding at least what the other guys are getting, but if they release another Han or Chewie those prices would go down a bit. There's already been another well received Leia and another for preorder and the ANH one is still getting that price bump. Once Bespin Han is announced I bet you'll see a glut of ANH Han's hit eBay, but no one's selling ANH Leia.

The other examples you pointed at are Marvel properties. There's Iron Man's selling for $7-800 and they make 50 different IMs and there's STILL demand. Marvel is in another league above SW right now and we can't compare apples to oranges for demand. The only SW one that's pretty high is DX07 and it came with 2 figures and was released at already high price point.

You can't just be like 'oh all those auctions are people overpaying, that's not her true value' when sold auctions are the true value no matter what you think.

You seem to be arguing for arguments sake but take a look at the Tarkin individual release that is now sold out and dried up everywhere. Shoretroopers and now the Death Troopers (Which are literally meat shield characters) for Marvel like comparisons of great appreciation that are not DX07 commanding Loki, Thor prices. Iron mans are $700-$800 cause the figures are $350-$400 dollars, still in line percentage wise with a figure going from $200 to $400.

Its exhaustive to see the ol' supply/demand argument on toys. Trying to make something that is a excessive disposable hobby into a formal market model is just ridiculous. Toys are the pure definition of possession utility. Most collectors cannot afford what they buy and dump things so irrationally cause they have troubles to make rent, mortgage or credit card/medical bills. This is a ultra luxury hobby and most won't sustain the spending habbits they set out to do. They head to ebay to dump used/"MIB" items which makes ebay complete trash as any type of intrinsic valuation.

I don't know if you were collecting back when the Star Wars line first came out but the big reason the original figs (Han, Chewie, Obi Wan in particular) are not going for large sums is that HT literally made two full waves (3 month wait after the first sellout wave) of those MMS series and completely over-saturated the e-tailers with them. I picked up multiples of those three for $140 each on clearance to have for diorama builds in my collection. I think I have 3 or 4 of each they were such good deals. Leia did not get nearly the release volume they did and she is still in the ballpark, again not much appreciation above the others given the relative volume.

Believe what you want with ebay. It's so tampered with fake value sales and outright fraud its ridiculous. Just because something sells for $10,000 and others are $100 are you saying it should be the average? mean? there's no logic to ebay outside of timing. A item was purchased for this amount at this time. Then there is also recency effect and its of no rhyme or reason to set anything of fact with ebay other than it was purchased for some price on some day. If someone sold an Electro figure for $1,000 in the sold lists and no other is sold on record for months, is Electro $1,000 dollars in market value? (Careful with your answer here cause your whole position will fall apart defining your market)

By all means if you want to draw up some TA on ebay market predictions knock yourself out. :lol

I can absolutely say people are overpaying especially if I can get it from a legit re-seller for a lower price.

Last edited:
I've tried to follow this argument but I got lost somewhere. Are people saying Leia is overpriced or that her price is not high enough?

In any event, the HT ANH Leia is nothing more than a head sculpt. You'd save money buying the knock-off head and building your own with a Cocoboloboy dress, and you'd have a much better Leia in the end.

I've tried to follow this argument but I got lost somewhere. Are people saying Leia is overpriced or that her price is not high enough?

In any event, the HT ANH Leia is nothing more than a head sculpt. You'd save money buying the knock-off head and building your own with a Cocoboloboy dress, and you'd have a much better Leia in the end.

Lol, I think the discussion started with the inevitable re-release of ANH Leia, then spiraled into she is commanding a heavy premium. Back and forth about ebay final sales and such.

Essentially the point is she can be had for relatively the same price as Obi-wan or others, just have to be patient. Oh and Ebay is not a fair market.(I'll soften my stance since it brings together buyers and sellers):lol

Definitely agree with your post. The dress is everything on her and both of those dresses (Coco's and Yunsil's) are miles better than the HT dress.

Last edited:
I’m just going to wait for the improved headsculpt/ dress ANH Leia is released and pay less than what the old one is going for. Too many problems reported with her outfit and HotToys know it. Just give it time...

I’m just going to wait for the improved headsculpt/ dress ANH Leia is released and pay less than what the old one is going for. Too many problems reported with her outfit and HotToys know it. Just give it time...

You’ll be waiting a long time. Maybe 50th anniversary.

Back