1/6 Hot Toys - MMS298 - Star Wars: Episode IV - Princess Leia Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS298 - Star Wars: Episode IV - Leia Organa Collectible Figure

Based on the pic TaliBane posted I'm thinking the optimal screen size would be at least 10 x 12. The one above is 8 x 10, and it might be close to perfect for the Hoth screens, which seemed smaller and I think had more of a blueish tint (shockingly)--but getting that console made would be tricky.

I agree on the screen size. The color you have there might not be perfect but it's looking pretty good. What isn't very good is the weathering and color on that red five helmet. I have the figure now too and it bothers me every time I look closely at it. Not sure I am up to the task of modding it though. Chakaman and ZE I think both did some work on theirs that looked very much improved.

Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS298 - Star Wars: Episode IV - Leia Organa Collectible Figure

Based on the pic TaliBane posted I'm thinking the optimal screen size would be at least 10 x 12. The one above is 8 x 10, and it might be close to perfect for the Hoth screens, which seemed smaller and I think had more of a blueish tint (shockingly)--but getting that console made would be tricky.

Yeah, the actual glass part I scaled out as a bit over 5' high by exactly 7' wide. My guess is the plexi sheet they used was 6' high by 7' wide but 6" to 9" of height was embedded in the top bar and lower base for support.

In 1/6 that would make the actual glass part 10 1/4" high by around 14" wide and overall height of the whole unit about 13" including a 3/8" top bar and about a 2 1/2" high base unit.

I think the Hoth ones are the exact same screens, but because of the lower Hoth base ceiling they raised the base unit to waist height and embedded far more.

I agree on the screen size. The color you have there might not be perfect but it's looking pretty good. What isn't very good is the weathering and color on that red five helmet. I have the figure now too and it bothers me every time I look closely at it. Not sure I am up to the task of modding it though. Chakaman and ZE I think both did some work on theirs that looked very much improved.

Yeah the weathering on the helmet looks like Sideshow left it above a smoky tailpipe on the old Sideshow van for a few weeks. It has a more "smog" vibe than "battle damage" vibe.

Yeah the weathering on the helmet looks like Sideshow left it above a smoky tailpipe on the old Sideshow van for a few weeks. It has a more "smog" vibe than "battle damage" vibe.

00bbb5d8840d54e13887cc60c97e9ac0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

00bbb5d8840d54e13887cc60c97e9ac0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yup... that's the Sideshow guy all right. I think he moved to San Francisco though.

Looks like the glory days of Sideshow are over. You can't even make out the logo on their van anymore, though I see the guy who did the paint apps and eyes on the Hoth figs left his mark between the wheels there.:(

melvanpic.jpg

Has anybody done any water/steam treatment to Leia's robe yet or would that utterly wreck it?
Mine is in the post! Looking forward to unpacking day.

Has anybody done any water/steam treatment to Leia's robe yet or would that utterly wreck it?

I did a spray water treatment and had 0 issues and it helped a lot with the arms and chest parts.

The dress had 0 issues after, just be careful about coloring

I definitely recommend modding it. I am halfway through doing it, and after looking at a lot of screen caps I realised that firstly, the SS paint job and weathering looks nothing like the one in the film; and second, the one in the film is so rough in its execution that even a novice like me can't go far wrong. I took off the weathering with isopropyl, which improved it immediately; this can affect some decals, like the stripe down the top, ut not others, like the rebel insignia. I've since painted the red parts a deeper red (citadel paints mephiston red) and the rest of it white, going around the decals with a cocktail stick dipped in the paint. When that's done, sanded etc I'll put a light gloss over it then dry brush some black weathering onto it... and if it looks good I'll post a photo then.

I've got no talent, no experience and no idea what I'm doing, and I reckon it still looks better than the factory paint job!

No problems. What worked for me is pose the figure and then mist with a water bottle. Futz Fabric. It will look like a wet t-shirt contest until it dries.

Two or three days later I repeated the process. The fabric loses a bit more memory the second time and starts to drape a bit.

No problems. What worked for me is pose the figure and then mist with a water bottle. Futz Fabric. It will look like a wet t-shirt contest until it dries.

Two or three days later I repeated the process. The fabric loses a bit more memory the second time and starts to drape a bit.

Do you have any pics, Kamandi?

I definitely recommend modding it. I am halfway through doing it, and after looking at a lot of screen caps I realised that firstly, the SS paint job and weathering looks nothing like the one in the film; and second, the one in the film is so rough in its execution that even a novice like me can't go far wrong. I took off the weathering with isopropyl, which improved it immediately; this can affect some decals, like the stripe down the top, ut not others, like the rebel insignia. I've since painted the red parts a deeper red (citadel paints mephiston red) and the rest of it white, going around the decals with a cocktail stick dipped in the paint. When that's done, sanded etc I'll put a light gloss over it then dry brush some black weathering onto it... and if it looks good I'll post a photo then.

I've got no talent, no experience and no idea what I'm doing, and I reckon it still looks better than the factory paint job!

Please post a picture when you are finished if possible, it sounds like our modding skill sets are similar:)

Updated Tactical Screen Photos:
IMG_4427.JPG
IMG_4425.JPG
IMG_4424.JPG
IMG_4421.JPG

That's a stunner

Hi Guys,
I've been reading through this thread looking for "futzing tips" for this figure's dress...and especially that hood.

What are people doing with that hood? How to manage the wire? remove the wire? bend it in a certain way?
The hood itself looks stitched into the collar, so I am not thinking of complete hood removal at this point....

I simply pinned the hood between Leia and the waist grabber.

The hood is just barely long enough to tuck into her belt

Back