1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Doctor Strange Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I'm thinking! It's take a lot to get me to buy a new strange. Like severe changes to costume (which I don't see happening) or some crazy cool new effects pieces or diorama stands.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Same here. I heard from someone who attended a Warner Brothers (DC) studio tour that movie costumes are only used once and are re-done in future films to give the characters a different look. I don't think that Marvel will change the costume of Doctor Strange that much so the yellow gloves make sense to me. If so, I'll also wait for the new pair of gloves. I love this costume and the sculpt and paint on this release is so good that it will be very difficult to get better that this. Also, who knows how much Hot Toys will charge for new releases by the time another one comes out?

Same here. I heard from someone who attended a Warner Brothers (DC) studio tour that movie costumes are only used once and are re-done in future films to give the characters a different look. I don't think that Marvel will change the costume of Doctor Strange that much so the yellow gloves make sense to me. If so, I'll also wait for the new pair of gloves. I love this costume and the sculpt and paint on this release is so good that it will be very difficult to get better that this. Also, who knows how much Hot Toys will charge for new releases by the time another one comes out?

Those new yellow gloves will cost $70 and people will buy it because...Hot Toys! :lol

Anyone else using figurarts flame effects for their strange display? Absolutely loving them.
030b4b6548f0d6e59beef5a07702f69a.jpg
f363ea4f987bb257719b576577c624a3.jpg

I was just posting on Facebook about the fact that, when Strange arrives on my doorstep in a couple months, I'm not sure how to utilize him.

I suck at indoor photography, but he'd be an ill fit against my usual backdrops of rocks and trees and grassy hills.

I don't want to invest the time and money into creating light tents and experimenting with lights and creating or commissioning dioramas all the time, but I'm at a loss as to how to do right by this toy.

I was just posting on Facebook about the fact that, when Strange arrives on my doorstep in a couple months, I'm not sure how to utilize him.

I suck at indoor photography, but he'd be an ill fit against my usual backdrops of rocks and trees and grassy hills.

I don't want to invest the time and money into creating light tents and experimenting with lights and creating or commissioning dioramas all the time, but I'm at a loss as to how to do right by this toy.
Honestly, for a quick dio the sanctum Santorum back drop that comes with him can make for a pretty good set up right out of the box. The only issue is that once you get strange in the flight stand he becomes taller than it pretty quickly. But for standing poses it works well enough.

Thanks. I do favor larger backdrops, but it's good to know he comes with something.

Still, one of my biggest advantages is that I'm willing to take these things outside; I like my photos to stand out.

Am I the only one who really dislikes the base?

I love the figure, absolutely one of 2017's best. But I really hate it that I can't give him a decent standing pose, because then the cape drapes over the huge clear rod. I don't want to put him on the shelf unsupported by it, but it's pretty much the only thing I can do if I don't want him floating or standing at a weird angle. They should've included a regular crotchgrabbing base IMO.

I love the figure, absolutely one of 2017's best. But I really hate it that I can't give him a decent standing pose, because then the cape drapes over the huge clear rod. I don't want to put him on the shelf unsupported by it, but it's pretty much the only thing I can do if I don't want him floating or standing at a weird angle. They should've included a regular crotchgrabbing base IMO.

I'm happy to take that base if you dislike it :)

Anyone else using figurarts flame effects for their strange display? Absolutely loving them.

Yeah, I love 'em too. Got the orange, purple, and blue sets off the 'bay. Use them with lots of figs - XD Davy Jones, IM, SW, WS - anywhere I want a bit of flame or *mystical flame* for more *magic* characters like DS.

DS_Thor.jpg

Well with the snow storm we got up here in the North East I have a chance to pose Doctor Strange on a huge mound of snow.
I want to recreate the Mt. Everest scene. I know his outfit won’t match but it’ll be fun trying to recapture that moment. I just wish that the Xensation Master One (Ancient One) figure was out to add to it.

Finally got my free Dr. Strange from Sideshow’s Spooktacular soul collecting contest. What an awesome figure!

Attachments

• A1F565F6-16A1-441A-8CA8-453AA3914BBD.jpg
    A1F565F6-16A1-441A-8CA8-453AA3914BBD.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 232

I wonder if there is a way to create or retrofit a "crotchgrabbing" post onto the base instead of the flexible arm?

I wonder if there is a way to create or retrofit a "crotchgrabbing" post onto the base instead of the flexible arm?
You can get the crotch grabbing hooks that Hot Toys use on other figures, like the Bank Robber Joker 2.0 had one, that fits onto the pole, but in my experience it doesn't hold the figure steady

I would ditch the pole and use some Blutack to hold him to the base. Also it you place a clear circular piece of plastic atop the pole you can use it to hold the cape which appears to float behind strange. Here's a gif of someone(the_collection_92) doing that from Instagram:
kPhfl7r.gif

You are not alone. I hate that stand for all of the reasons you mentioned. I luckily had a spare dynamic flight stand I bought loose, the one Falcon came with. Using that I can get him in a pretty good floating pose without his cloak looking akward. I just had to cut a piece of black felt to cover the SHIELD logo. I just bought a couple of crotch grabbers one for my 3A Judge Dredd and one for Strange, in case I feel like putting him in a standing pose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back