1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I admit i was a bit reluctant when pics started showing up. But i also know this game, and know that in hand and posing is everything. He really is beautiful! I had all these ideas of customizing and that all went out the window. Hes amazing stock.

Last edited:
4d258d2766e0e01793f130425c46db8e.jpg

I think the HT helmets look better proportioned on the size of a SS body. It is than a HUGE Vader. But the helmet looks properly sized.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SS Vader is too tall, but the anh/ro helmet you put on the body there does look better then the SS helmet :clap

:lol I think it should be somewhere in between the actual pic and your miniaturized "Beetlejuice" version.

Camera angles can change things dramatically, so this will never be an exact science. Vader's helmet would be huge next to a human head. But not exactly huge on the Vader costume. From some angles, it can even look smallish. I don't think anyone would be able to replicate the proportions seen below (from the actual movie Vader) with any of the 1/6 figures out there so far. The helmets are too big.

View attachment 425345

Vader's helmet should clearly be bigger than Boba Fett's, but it shouldn't dwarf Fett's by all that much.

View attachment 425346

The scale of everything on the vader figures are off in one way or another...suit,cape,armor,chest box etc...mask/helmet may be a tad off but a non issue for me...accuracy of the mask shape and detail are more important...

View attachment 425440

i cannot believe the amount of nit picking going on in here. i came in here to see peoples poses and instead there is a constant bickering about millimeters worth of inaccuracies. you people have lost perspective on life. the amount of sheer time wasted on this topic is mind numbing. its a toy. you people want a perfectly crafted figure at a perfect 1/6th scale for $250? It will never be perfect at that price. There is only so much a toy maker can do. get over it already. this figure is just fine.

I agree with most of what you say...the critique is all a little over the top and for a mass produced figure it does look good...but that's no excuse to how lazily put together it all looks..especially the mask/helmet which for me is the most important part of it..

There are so many reviews on YouTube of this version now..so collectors are still getting this despite the many issues.
Because it's new..and TESB is most fans favourite version of vader..

Nah, its just the best 1:6 Vader so far in my and apparently lots of others opinion. Easy as that! In hand it does not look lazily put together at all. Is it perfect? nope, no figure will be, is it a step up from previous ESB/Rotj options? Several.

i cannot believe the amount of nit picking going on in here. i came in here to see peoples poses and instead there is a constant bickering about millimeters worth of inaccuracies. you people have lost perspective on life. the amount of sheer time wasted on this topic is mind numbing. its a toy. you people want a perfectly crafted figure at a perfect 1/6th scale for $250? It will never be perfect at that price. There is only so much a toy maker can do. get over it already. this figure is just fine.

I don't know, to me it's strange that we're fine with nitpicking the likenesses of characters like Han, Luke, or Chewie for hundreds of pages, but for the most iconic villain in movie history people are just like "Eh, that's close enough."

It's like, really? I realize we sometimes have to make peace with what HT gives us, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't point out the obvious flaws that exist. Especially when we've seen how much better their stuff can look when they put the effort in.

I don't know, to me it's strange that we're fine with nitpicking the likenesses of characters like Han, Luke, or Chewie for hundreds of pages, but for the most iconic villain in movie history people are just like "Eh, that's close enough."

It's like, really? I realize we sometimes have to make peace with what HT gives us, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't point out the obvious flaws that exist. Especially when we've seen just how great they can be when they put the effort in.

True. But it doesn't really help pointing out the same flaws over and over again here.
Someone should start a petition or write Hot Toys an E-Mail, like what happend to Boba Fett ESB. Or this will happen again.

The scale of everything on the vader figures are off in one way or another...suit,cape,armor,chest box etc...mask/helmet may be a tad off but a non issue for me...accuracy of the mask shape and detail are more important...

Let me put it to you another way. Here's one of the HT promo pics of the ESB Vader. The version on the left is the original. The version on the right is after I reduced the helmet size by 10%. The white background "halo" is the outline of what the original helmet size was. The way I see it, the helmet reduction makes everything look better. The extended arm even looks less tiny compared to the original, just because the helmet is more properly scaled. A properly-scaled helmet goes a long way in overall figure presentation.

VaderHelmetSizeCompare01.jpg

If that's still not making my point clear, then maybe putting these images next to movie Vader might help.

VaderHelmetSizeCompare02.jpg

And for those who are griping about the nitpicks on these Vader figures, let me ask you this: what type of reputation do you think Hot Toys would have if they routinely screwed up head proportions on every figure the way they do with Vader? The reason Vader gets scrutinized so much is because he's the crown jewel in a lot of people's SW (or general movie) collections. At nearly $300 a pop, it'd be nice to have an HT Vader that looks as convincing as an HT Iron Man, or even a freakin' HT Count Dooku.

HT doesn't need to make a better Vader because every one of them sells out. And then if they came to forums like this one and pop into this thread, they'd see people laughing at the nitpicks and talking about how great their new $300 Vader looks. If I were HT, I probably wouldn't bother trying to make Vader figures more accurate either. What for? The people who raise the criticisms are the ones who get criticized for pointing things out.

With the latest Boba Fett figure, the helmet got changed from the proto - and for the better. Why? Because "minor" inaccuracies on the same level as this Vader were being pointed out instead of just happily accepting another "good enough for me" version. And everyone who bought that Fett is better off for it.

@ajp4mgs IF Hot toys really comes here, that is :wink1:

But joking aside, like I already said from the beginning: it is important to point out mistakes and flaws, or we won't progress.
And really, even if I have been defending this Vader all the time, I actually do agree with almost every flaws mentioned here. And believe it or not, I also want my Vader to be as accurate as possible for the price I am paying.
But to be honest, if you really want to change something, it's much more efficient to address this matter to Hot Toys directly than to discuss this over and over again in a forum, which Hot Toys maybe doesn't even know.
And even if they do come here, I don't think they come here to laugh at the nitpicking people because they got criticized. I don't even think they have been lazy on this figure. Many already pointed out there are indeed many improvements here.

You said "another good enough for me version" like it's a bad thing. I owned SS Deluxe Vader, sold it because I wasn't happy with it. I like this one a lot. It's not perfect by all means, but the upgrades to the old one are worth the money for me.
Am I really encouraging Hot Toys not to progress by doing this?

Honestly I don't pay close enough attention to catch a lot of the inaccuracies that are caught by some of the more detail oriented folks here. But I'm glad they do point the issues out. At least I know what I'm buying and occasionally they do nudge Hot Toys into making corrections.

It's like, really? I realize we sometimes have to make peace with what HT gives us, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't point out the obvious flaws that exist. Especially when we've seen how much better their stuff can look when they put the effort in.

and i disagree with all the nitpicking over all these figures. i complain my butt off when SS omitted the obi was saber from the Mythos statue. thats one type of complaint. this is different. this is a design they chose and Lucas approved, or Disney or whoever...

The figure is fine. not one person has come to my home asking me "who is this supposed to be?"

people say its inaccurate, but of course it will be. it always is, and this forum acts like every time there is an inaccuracy, its the first one they've seen.

its old and tired. if you dont like it dont buy it. say your peace, ONCE and get lost. this beating a dead horse is retarded. do you think HT is going to re issue this based on your concerns?

Let me put it to you another way. Here's one of the HT promo pics of the ESB Vader. The version on the left is the original. The version on the right is after I reduced the helmet size by 10%. The white background "halo" is the outline of what the original helmet size was. The way I see it, the helmet reduction makes everything look better. The extended arm even looks less tiny compared to the original, just because the helmet is more properly scaled. A properly-scaled helmet goes a long way in overall figure presentation.

View attachment 425462

If that's still not making my point clear, then maybe putting these images next to movie Vader might help.

View attachment 425463

And for those who are griping about the nitpicks on these Vader figures, let me ask you this: what type of reputation do you think Hot Toys would have if they routinely screwed up head proportions on every figure the way they do with Vader? The reason Vader gets scrutinized so much is because he's the crown jewel in a lot of people's SW (or general movie) collections. At nearly $300 a pop, it'd be nice to have an HT Vader that looks as convincing as an HT Iron Man, or even a freakin' HT Count Dooku.

HT doesn't need to make a better Vader because every one of them sells out. And then if they came to forums like this one and pop into this thread, they'd see people laughing at the nitpicks and talking about how great their new $300 Vader looks. If I were HT, I probably wouldn't bother trying to make Vader figures more accurate either. What for? The people who raise the criticisms are the ones who get criticized for pointing things out.

With the latest Boba Fett figure, the helmet got changed from the proto - and for the better. Why? Because "minor" inaccuracies on the same level as this Vader were being pointed out instead of just happily accepting another "good enough for me" version. And everyone who bought that Fett is better off for it.

I understand your point perfectly....i too want accuracy...but i'd rather a tad over scaled movie accurate face mask than the vice versa. Both would be wonderful but a perfectly scaled accurate 1/6 mass produced vader will never be made...again something will always be off in one way or another.

My main gripe with this Empire vader is the lazily put together inaccurate face mask...for me a huge eye sore and a step backwards from previous HT versions...
I'm hoping to have mine in a few weeks and looking forward to comparing the mask with the old Kaiyodo:)

In regards to the HT Empire fett...they did improve the helmet from the proto...but it's still way off and not very accurate.

Here's one of the best shots from D.R.37 which shows that when posed up properly the overall scale looks good and is a non issue.. View attachment 425468

I like how the vast majority of people still nitpicking this figure are people not yet having it in hand, or people justifying why they are not buying it because ye olde anh v1/v2/ro/SS/kaiyodo is vastly better in their eyes.

Justify it to yourselves sure, here once or twice is enough tho, no?

The infamous downward angles tusk issue - not bad in hand once you get it in a not as bad distorted photo. The mask seam is also clearly visible here, and in hand, barely visible and honestly, it does not bother me or catch my eye unless you are looking for it to. It kinda bridges into the masking scene in Episode III which is why I think they did it over the seamless screen accurate version (that I too would have preferred).
tusk.jpg

So far none of the people seeing the figure has commented on those tings or other nitpicks beaten in this thread, upwards of 20 people aged 8 to 70 have all expressed what a "cool", "accurate", "amazing" rendition of the character it is. And I agree, the figure is just fine.. the perfect Vader will never exist, 1:4 at almost $600 might get you close but for ~$270 in 1:6 this one is in my opinion the best one so far :horse :horse

Also the helmet is not too small or big, its just the right size for a 1:6 head to ear-numbingly fit inside. Take another figure's head next to it and compare..its fine..

I agree with you but I think it's just down to the difference between human faces and a dude wearing a big black helmet. It's much easier to look at a human likeness and instantly tell it doesn't look right.

I got this Vader and Jedi luke last Friday and couldn’t be happier. These are crappy phone pics until my wife and I move into our new house. I can’t wait to see more pictures when other collectors get Vader in. 16B5DDA1-3D69-4285-9F77-DE002724AA35.jpg9A479F0F-4673-4C48-878C-CA5ABC20DE09.jpgF5331ED9-EF3B-47E3-B6A4-158F514201AC.jpgD7B6EF50-0219-416A-8C9B-0C19EB7C30B3.jpgF562719C-3F3B-4497-9252-156EABCE9EF4.jpg

I agree with you but I think it's just down to the difference between human faces and a dude wearing a big black helmet. It's much easier to look at a human likeness and instantly tell it doesn't look right.

I suppose, but some of us have been studying the Vader helmet for years and can notice just as easily when something looks off or not quite right with it.

So have people successfully removed the whole head? Sideshow is supposed to send me a replacement one because mine's mask won't stay on.

I suppose, but some of us have been studying the Vader helmet for years and can notice just as easily when something looks off or not quite right with it.

I'm sure that is true, I'm just not one of those
guys. I'm way more amateur than expert, just a big fan:)

Honestly I don't mind the crazy nitpicking. I'm always amazed at the level of detailed knowledge people have on aspects of the OT costume and prop design when so many of the originals are lost to us. I'm a huge Vader fan but I don't have the level of knowledge found here and some things I admit I just don't see. But I get what some mean when they look at it and it's wrong and that frustrates them. Every time I look at that black series "prop replica" helmet in the shops it drives me crazy just how wrong it looks. But to the vast majority it just looks like Vader and they are happy with it.

I've only had a quick look at my ESB Vader figure but so far i'm liking it. I've already lent the base to my Rogue One version in my Vader shrine. This figure is earmarked to go with battle damaged Bespin Luke in the upcoming Jazzinc Gantry Diorama. This weekend I hope to spend some quality time with it and form a proper opinion.

Back