1/6 Hot Toys - Infinity War - Scarlet Witch

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Really appreciate the feedback. This is my first time encountering an issue like this after buying stuff on the aftermarket for years. I got it roughly 30% off the average going rate on Ebay these days. I contacted the seller and he did offer either a 10% refund or a AOU scarlet witch replacement head. Looking at the comparison pictures and youtube videos the AOU headsculpt doesn't look as accurate as the CW version so I'm not considering that option. I can continue to look for a loose CW headscult.

Very sorry to read this. Recently had a nasty go-round with a Chinese seller:mad: (and I've had outstanding service from many Chinese sellers, incredible communication and packing, so I considered this an anomaly. First time I was dealing with real BS.:()

Not an expert but there's lots of good painters on this forum. For me I'd approach it the same way a makeup artist would - Smooth, cover, and blur. E.g. get a mix of good quality matte acrylics - they don't have to be the pricey ones. Tans/flesh, sepia, clear red, white. For me I'd use eyeshadow applicators or microbrushes or cut-up make-up sponges. Smooth any scratched edges (fine nail file or finest grit sandpaper). Match the base skin tone (this may take time) and "pat" thin layers of paint to cover, even using fingers. I guess that's sort of a drybrush technique.

Build thin layers smudging in paint. Don't rush. Dab a bit of faint toning in e.g. faint, watered down speckling. It's kind of like repairing a hole in drywall - level the hole and smudge/pat paint over. Add very faint "speckles" or tones to fake skin more (like HT does.) Take your time and don't be in bad mood when working.

BTW your seller sucks. I've bought used - if u are kitbashing even a damaged piece can be useful, and sells, so BSing to make a sale is a **** move. Hope u can get it worked out. Having to buy repair supplies - even cheap - just added to the cost of the fig. I think you're looking at $15-20$ at least for supplies if you don't have the stuff on hand. Plus a trip to Michael's or other plus this isn't a horrible job but not a rush job either.

Very sorry to read this. Recently had a nasty go-round with a Chinese seller:mad: (and I've had outstanding service from many Chinese sellers, incredible communication and packing, so I considered this an anomaly. First time I was dealing with real BS.:()

Not an expert but there's lots of good painters on this forum. For me I'd approach it the same way a makeup artist would - Smooth, cover, and blur. E.g. get a mix of good quality matte acrylics - they don't have to be the pricey ones. Tans/flesh, sepia, clear red, white. For me I'd use eyeshadow applicators or microbrushes or cut-up make-up sponges. Smooth any scratched edges (fine nail file or finest grit sandpaper). Match the base skin tone (this may take time) and "pat" thin layers of paint to cover, even using fingers. I guess that's sort of a drybrush technique.

Build thin layers smudging in paint. Don't rush. Dab a bit of faint toning in e.g. faint, watered down speckling. It's kind of like repairing a hole in drywall - level the hole and smudge/pat paint over. Add very faint "speckles" or tones to fake skin more (like HT does.) Take your time and don't be in bad mood when working.

BTW your seller sucks. I've bought used - if u are kitbashing even a damaged piece can be useful, and sells, so BSing to make a sale is a **** move. Hope u can get it worked out. Having to buy repair supplies - even cheap - just added to the cost of the fig. I think you're looking at $15-20$ at least for supplies if you don't have the stuff on hand. Plus a trip to Michael's or other plus this isn't a horrible job but not a rush job either.

You sure sound like an expert to me! Great tips. For sure something I'd be interested in getting into when I have the time and the confidence. Good idea on finding someone in the forum experienced with restoring and repainting. I'll seriously consider that.
The seller claimed he thought the scrape is part of the stain and he was very cordial in his communication when I brought up the issue. He sold it to me for 250 including shipping/fees knowing about just the red stain, and then refunded me 40 later after I brought up the scrape.

Depending on how much of a deal you got, I'd but the aftermarket Red Eye sculpt and call it a day. It's a very good sculpt.

interesting idea. I got 40 bucks refunded to me so it's definitely an option now. Thanks!

You sure sound like an expert to me! Great tips. For sure something I'd be interested in getting into when I have the time and the confidence. Good idea on finding someone in the forum experienced with restoring and repainting. I'll seriously consider that.
The seller claimed he thought the scrape is part of the stain and he was very cordial in his communication when I brought up the issue. He sold it to me for 250 including shipping/fees knowing about just the red stain, and then refunded me 40 later after I brought up the scrape.

Thank u but really not expert:cool: just one of those who takes to futzing - done enough Photoshopping to pick up that a lot of stuff is *illusion* e.g. like when 1/4 statues look not-great up close (like an inch away) but then u step back and it looks amazing. IMO a real skill to do to-scale portraits. Talking to painters on forum is a great idea, or even hiring one. I like watching the YT painting vids from the pros.

At the price Civil War Wanda is going for I take back comments re seller,:cool: IMO not a bad deal at all - esp. fixable and location is a good area for touch ups. It's not in the middle of her face or anything. I have both HT Wandas and IMO both beautiful - stunning work on the eyes/portrait from HT. Happy things working out for you.:) I've been looking at the red eye portrait myself for a while, by way of having options.

Thank u but really not expert:cool: just one of those who takes to futzing - done enough Photoshopping to pick up that a lot of stuff is *illusion* e.g. like when 1/4 statues look not-great up close (like an inch away) but then u step back and it looks amazing. IMO a real skill to do to-scale portraits. Talking to painters on forum is a great idea, or even hiring one. I like watching the YT painting vids from the pros.

At the price Civil War Wanda is going for I take back comments re seller,:cool: IMO not a bad deal at all - esp. fixable and location is a good area for touch ups. It's not in the middle of her face or anything. I have both HT Wandas and IMO both beautiful - stunning work on the eyes/portrait from HT. Happy things working out for you.:) I've been looking at the red eye portrait myself for a while, by way of having options.

Thanks! good point. I didn't even notice the stains and scrape at first and had to look really closely to see it.

Back