1/6 Hot Toys - DX26 - Obi-Wan Kenobi Series : Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. I actually really enjoyed the series.

Do I feel it was a little bloated in areas? Sure. But the stuff I liked- I REALLY liked. It was a far better show than BOBF or Mando Season 3. I liked it better than 2/3's of both the prequels and the sequels.

And that last lightsaber battle? Most emotional one since ROTJ.
Well said, it had its moments and was overall entertaining. I look forward to Season 2 (if that’s a thing?).

I liked Kenobi too.

I know it's cool to hate on Disney Star Wars, and much of it is justified, but the Kenobi shows gets a bad wrap. Yes, every scene with Flea was terrible. Yes, every scene with Reva was terrible. Reva's story was stupid, and terrible.

There were a lot of cool moments too. Even if they didn't de-age him, seeing Hayden as Anakin again made me giddy. The Vader-Kenobi lightsaber fight was excellent, even knowing how it would end. Rubert Friend did a very good job as the Grand Inquisitor. Ewan did a great job as a broken Obi-Wan who found his way back. And seeing Neeson again was just icing on the cake.

I dislike a lot of stuff Disney has done with Star Wars, and that's ok. I also like a lot of what they've done. With exception to Book of Boba, I think the TV shows have been much better than the movies, Rogue One not included. Rogue One/Andor is some of the best Star Wars for me, outside of Empire Strikes Back and the Siege of Mandalore that finished The Clone Wars.

I'm not going to get this figure because I already have Old Ben and the ROTS figure, but I'd grab it for my shelf if not for those two.

I liked Kenobi too.

I know it's cool to hate on Disney Star Wars, and much of it is justified, but the Kenobi shows gets a bad wrap. Yes, every scene with Flea was terrible. Yes, every scene with Reva was terrible. Reva's story was stupid, and terrible.

There were a lot of cool moments too. Even if they didn't de-age him, seeing Hayden as Anakin again made me giddy. The Vader-Kenobi lightsaber fight was excellent, even knowing how it would end. Rubert Friend did a very good job as the Grand Inquisitor. Ewan did a great job as a broken Obi-Wan who found his way back. And seeing Neeson again was just icing on the cake.

I dislike a lot of stuff Disney has done with Star Wars, and that's ok. I also like a lot of what they've done. With exception to Book of Boba, I think the TV shows have been much better than the movies, Rogue One not included. Rogue One/Andor is some of the best Star Wars for me, outside of Empire Strikes Back and the Siege of Mandalore that finished The Clone Wars.

I'm not going to get this figure because I already have Old Ben and the ROTS figure, but I'd grab it for my shelf if not for those two.
Well said!, stellar acting by Ewan and Hayden, especially that final fight scene when Obi says "I'm Sorry" to Ani after seeing what he became underneath the mask. Gut wrenching, that scene really made me emotional.

Having said that I am only getting Vader from this line, still on the fence for Obi cuz I want the final outfit he wore when he met Qui Gon.

Not going to sit here and allow you to praise Book of Boba like that
Definitely. I would take 10 more series like Obi-Wan over 1 BoBF any day. At least a good edit fixes most of OB1's problems. There is no saving the steaming pile a filth that is BoBF.

I found both shows equally awful and disappointing.

But I’m glad they are updating this figure’s head. Good choice, Howard.

Edit: sorry, gotta get in to specifics.

How do you not introduce Cad Bane until the second to last episode? How do you decide not to show him scheming and working against Boba in the shadows and build up to a confrontation in the end? How do you screw that up?

How do you not show Reva’s entire flashback and background up front? She’s Leo in “Gangs Of New York”, that’s her story and that’s your template. Just do THAT. How do you screw that up?

And so on.

Also: lightsaber fights looked terrible in Obi-Wan. I dont mean the choreography, I mean the hideous digital cinematography combined with the on-set effect they are using.

Last edited:
At this point we'd probably be better to go to AI written scripts for Star Wars. Can't get any worse with the stuff we've gotten recently......

Please list these, erm, "redeeming qualities". I would love to hear them. (y)
I love what they did with the tuskens and the entire story of boba being a captive and slowly becoming part of the clan and how he adopted some of there culture (and that we explored more of the tusken culture) and the other way around how he also teached them some of his ways. I like that they honor him with the black robes and the gaffi stick that he returned from the tree branch on that religious journey they send him on. It gave a new meaning to the look he had in the mandalorian which I did not care about at first (and it made me get that figure when I saw the context and the relevance of it in the story

I think theres a big influence from laurence of arabia and it added so much to the lore. I like the idea that he is trying to rule the criminal underworld of tattooine. I think its a logical step for his character. I like cad bane. I like the return of the mandalorian episode even if it has no business being in the show. It was still a great episode

There are many redeeming qualities

But yes I hate how they made him soft and that he walks without his helmet and seems like he doesn't know how to fight most of the time. I hate how they removed focus from the character to introduce the mandalorian. I hate how late they introduced cad bane and wasted him too quickly. I hate the cosplay power rangers biker squad.

But it was still 10 times better then obi wan. Don't get me started on that show 😱 It should have easily been the best Star Wars we got since revenge of the sith. But instead of the dark tragic story that it needed to be about overcoming grief it was a super safe and unfocused story full of wasted potential. It completely removed the focus from the character to focus on stupid characters like reva who vader tried to kill twice and failed. And its not like he pushed her off a cliff or something indirect like that. He stabbed her twice and one of those times she was just a kid and she lived. Maybe vader swings like a ***** I don't know. Maybe lightsabers are like ice cream bars.

Why do they even think we need another order 66 survivor jedi running around? Don't we have 20 of them already that I don't know the names of or where they were in the original trilogy? Just keep pumping these out like the MCU keeps pumping characters and changing the story. And thats another thing. I hate how the show tip toes around the established canon in so many ways that it breaks the canon and hurts the story they want to tell. And its full of so many plot holes. Dont make me go into all of them. I hated that show so much and just because they used cheap tricks like the prequel flashbacks and making obi wan and vader fight and added a dumb qui gon cameo it doesn't mean it should get a pass. Because that is what disney thinks is enough to make a show good

Andor is the only live action D+ show they’ve gotten remotely right (Since Mando S1.)
Everything else just feelings like a personal attack.

But maybe the thing we can agree on is that andor was the best show between all of them

I dont know why kathleen kennedy still did not get replaced. It shows how they don't care at all. I think Star Wars can not be in a worse place then it is now 🤮🤮

Last edited:
I pretty much agree with your entire take, especially-

I hated that show so much and just because they used cheap tricks like the prequel flashbacks and making obi wan and vader fight and added a dumb qui gon cameo it doesn't mean it should get a pass. Because that is what disney thinks is enough to make a show good

This was exactly their mentality. Just throw Hayden on screen again, looking like a geriatric version of his Padawan self and people will cheer because they love those prequel memes. I feel pity for anyone so easily manipulated into thinking they’re receiving quality entertainment via these cheap tricks- and cheap they were- along with the rest of the show.

The biggest sin for me was actually having Vader and Kenobi come face to face at all- and then they took it to another level by showing a washed up Kenobi go full Rey Skywalker on a pique-powers Vader to absolutely mash him just like in ROTS and yet still fail to recognise that by letting him live again, he’ll be indirectly responsible for a further decade of atrocities committed across the galaxy. What message is that?! Just because me and space Hitler were bros back in the day, I guess I’m absolved from the burden of having to kill him…

I liked the thought of Vader pursuing Kenobi but there should always have been some barrier between them to prevent an actual showdown. Vader’s physical superiority and power (as Obi Wan would witness throughout the show- from a distance) should have been terrifying to Obi Wan, so the last thing he’d want to do is take him on one on one when he still needs to stay alive watch over Luke.

I think this would have added to the New Hope duel where Kenobi seeks out Vader on his home turf, unafraid because, despite knowing he can’t best Vader in a duel, he has become the most ‘spiritually enlightened’ and knows his connection with the force will transcend his mortal existence. Giving Vader the vengeance he’s craved for decades only to find it has a completely unsatisfactory conclusion and has in fact put him at a disadvantage.
That good ol’ OT message of inner tranquility, focus, emotional control, and trust in the will of the force being the true source of a Jedi’s power. That’s the stuff that always spoke to me.

Vader’s unconquerable, hate fuelled, darkside power should have been a driving factor for Kenobi to focus specifically on his spiritual training with Qui Gon. They could have had an brief chat like-
‘I failed you, master. He’s too powerful, now. I can’t beat him!’
‘My young padawan, when next you meet, you won’t have to beat him. Come now. You have much to learn.’

Vader should have been the Terminator to Obi Wan’s Sarah Connor (T1,) relentlessly coming for him, and Obi Wan should have had to use his wits, resourcefulness and his environment to damage and delay Vader just enough to slip away.
They still could have had the cracked helmet moment and perhaps Vader would be trapped by some magnetic field or machinery in a factory holding him in place for Obi Wan to deliver his line about his friend truly being dead- then he ignites his sabre to reluctantly but necessarily put Vader down, but troopers or an inquisitor burst out just in time to force Obi Wan away.
If a duel was absolutely necessary so people feel like they got a cool finale, just have Obi Wan take on a pair of inquisitors.

I pretty much agree with your entire take, especially-

This was exactly their mentality. Just throw Hayden on screen again, looking like a geriatric version of his Padawan self and people will cheer because they love those prequel memes. I feel pity for anyone so easily manipulated into thinking they’re receiving quality entertainment via these cheap tricks- and cheap they were- along with the rest of the show.

The biggest sin for me was actually having Vader and Kenobi come face to face at all- and then they took it to another level by showing a washed up Kenobi go full Rey Skywalker on a pique-powers Vader to absolutely mash him just like in ROTS and yet still fail to recognise that by letting him live again, he’ll be indirectly responsible for a further decade of atrocities committed across the galaxy. What message is that?! Just because me and space Hitler were bros back in the day, I guess I’m absolved from the burden of having to kill him…

I liked the thought of Vader pursuing Kenobi but there should always have been some barrier between them to prevent an actual showdown. Vader’s physical superiority and power (as Obi Wan would witness throughout the show- from a distance) should have been terrifying to Obi Wan, so the last thing he’d want to do is take him on one on one when he still needs to stay alive watch over Luke.

I think this would have added to the New Hope duel where Kenobi seeks out Vader on his home turf, unafraid because, despite knowing he can’t best Vader in a duel, he has become the most ‘spiritually enlightened’ and knows his connection with the force will transcend his mortal existence. Giving Vader the vengeance he’s craved for decades only to find it has a completely unsatisfactory conclusion and has in fact put him at a disadvantage.
That good ol’ OT message of inner tranquility, focus, emotional control, and trust in the will of the force being the true source of a Jedi’s power. That’s the stuff that always spoke to me.

Vader’s unconquerable, hate fuelled, darkside power should have been a driving factor for Kenobi to focus specifically on his spiritual training with Qui Gon. They could have had an brief chat like-
‘I failed you, master. He’s too powerful, now. I can’t beat him!’
‘My young padawan, when next you meet, you won’t have to beat him. Come now. You have much to learn.’

Vader should have been the Terminator to Obi Wan’s Sarah Connor (T1,) relentlessly coming for him, and Obi Wan should have had to use his wits, resourcefulness and his environment to damage and delay Vader just enough to slip away.
They still could have had the cracked helmet moment and perhaps Vader would be trapped by some magnetic field or machinery in a factory holding him in place for Obi Wan to deliver his line about his friend truly being dead- then he ignites his sabre to reluctantly but necessarily put Vader down, but troopers or an inquisitor burst out just in time to force Obi Wan away.
If a duel was absolutely necessary so people feel like they got a cool finale, just have Obi Wan take on a pair of inquisitors.
You said it very well. I agree especially that it made zero sense for obi wan to walk away from that fight and the result of that choice is damaging to the character and the overall story. And like I said I feel this way about many things like with leia for example. Even if she didn't explicitly say in the original trilogy that she didn't know who obi wan was outside from what she was told from her father.. its still very clear that they never established this close connection with each other. They tip toe around details like this like they don't have any consequences outside of this one story that they are telling. I think I even read that the writer never watched revenge of the sith (you can't make this **** up 😮‍💨

I think that theres an important duality that is shared between vader and obi wan that it makes sense to tell both these stories in the same show but without any physical confrontation (or atleast it should be considered very carefully) because the connection between them is much bigger then the physical presence they have with each other

But I would also have been ok if vader was not included at all and the show only focused on obi wan and him healing and finding purpose again with gui gon having an actual role in the story

Many of the problems that I have with this show are with the things it "failed" or "didn't" do. But even with the things that it "did" and how little it "said" there is still so much fat on the story that can easily be trimmed away. With book of boba I can say that I was able to take something away atleast

It looks like james mangold had a different idea for boba fett that maybe was more aligned to what we wanted to see but kathleen said no. Kathleen also said they had a darker story for obi wan but decided not to do it. And it looks like mandalorian season 3 was also changed on the last minute too. I think disney only wants to tell one type of stories in all the movies and shows and different brands they have. And at this point I have to make peace with myself that star wars is dead.. and I should only take away what I can find with value like Andor and try to hold on to what I loved about star wars from the past even when they continue to butcher it more as it continues. Its only a matter of time until they introduce time travel and the multiverse in star wars. I saw the trailer for ahsoka and I don't even care to watch that **** 🤮

Screen Shot 2023-08-24 at 4.32.59 PM.png

Welp. I decided to jump on this. I know the show wasn't very good but I think Obi-Wan will compliment Vader nicely.

Back