1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. It's not too bad, for now, just a bit demoralizing. We'll see how it develops, if it does at all or whether it just goes back to dormant state. Crossing fingers.

Am currently printing the main chest armor to see if the supports I added and orientation is good enough. I'll let you know once I get it out of the machine in about 1-2 hours from now... have already printed for a few hours.

Also went through all the models I could prep for printing and made print ready models with supports. The remaining will need to have some test prints done to see which orientation is best, as well as finishing out the face mask models so they don't trap resin inside. I've hollowed them out, but need to add drain holes or openings. I may just trim away the whole closed back, but that may make it too flimsy when printing, so I'll probably leave some areas running across the back connecting each side for support, which people can then trim away.

Have also considered how I could do the dome position so it sits perfect every time... though... I really don't feel up to doing that right now. Now I just want to make sure things print properly and start getting things in motion.

Failure. I guess the angle was too steep, as there are displacement lines horizontally across the front of the armor in several places. Will try to angle it down more, so it isn't so vertical. Will try another print another day, as I'm test printing something else tonight and may print some endoskeleton parts tomorrow.

At least these test prints came out okay. The orientation on these work without issues, though, the grills are prone to capturing and keeping water and excess resin in the spaces, so I need to invest in a better connector between my compressor and airbrush, as for some reason, just screwing the airbrush directly onto it doesn't give a tight enough fit, so the air can't keep the pressure up. I'll try with one of my other airbrushes to see if one of those work for now.

You can actually see the knurling pattern on the six metal studs on the belt box in pictures. Hard to tell just by looking at it, as it's just too small.

2023-08-25-121117.jpg

Last edited:
At least these test prints came out okay. The orientation on these work without issues, though, the grills are prone to capturing and keeping water and excess resin in the spaces, so I need to invest in a better connector between my compressor and airbrush, as for some reason, just screwing the airbrush directly onto it doesn't give a tight enough fit, so the air can't keep the pressure up. I'll try with one of my other airbrushes to see if one of those work for now.

You can actually see the knurling pattern on the six metal studs on the belt box in pictures. Hard to tell just by looking at it, as it's just too small.

View attachment 658556
Keep up the great work. Admire your abilities 👍🏼

Thanks. I may have to experiment a little with the orientation of the belt box, as it seems the bottom got a little messed up - maybe some supports failed and it was pulled off, resulting in a curved bottom. Maybe I can fix that by angling it towards one of the bottom corners?

Got sick again. Had planned to try doing more tests to see if the prepared models printed well enough... but that sadly didn't go anywhere... I hope I'll better enough soon, so I can get back to it.

This has been such a labor of love for years, while you’ve been battling health issues. I’m always sorry to see your posts when you’re not feeling well. Take good care of yourself. Best wishes!

It’s been a joy watching your passion for this project unfold in your updates. Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery. :duff

Thanks guys. Have had some new input on possible ways to reduce warping in the first few layers of the prints, so I will try those out once I get to feeling better. Hopefully working on it sometime next week.

Really, really sorry for the lack of updates lately. I need a few new things to try start printing again, but money is scarce these days - the Terminator Endoskeleton project drained it all - so it may take some time before I can acquire the parts. Will prepare the models for printing with the advice I was given to improve and try to prevent warping when printing - adding stronger supports or an additional support structure for added stability and strength.

I'll keep you posted on when things start up again...

I was checking out a company selling protective masks, as the one I had wasn't sealed so couldn't be used for what I needed it for, but the place didn't sell to anything but companies, so that was a bust. There's another place in town, but I haven't been able to go there to see if they can help me get the right filters too.

I've been working on sculpting pants on the bodies. Got to the point where I have baked the ANH legs, so now I'm working on the ESB ones, while also working on the arms. Going to start the RotJ arms soon, but am not settled on a pose for that statue yet. Considering doing the "There is no conflict" or "Obi-Wan trained you well" pose. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Working with someone new to handle the printing, since I can't seem to get that happening myself, so hopefully there'll be an update on that soon.

Went through my models and found there are more that needs fixing than I thought. 16 in total needing from minor to major repairs. It is going to take some serious effort. And I curse at myself as I could and should have done all this work months ago.

Starting with all the ANH stuff first, so we can get a sizing test print made.

We offered 2 versions previously - true 1:6 scale and HT scale, but I've heard that the "HT scale" may be too big. We only offered that because the stormtrooper helmet needed to be enlarged to fit with HT and Sideshow armor. This may not be required at all for Vader, as people have often paired HT stuff with the Kaiyodo/Screamin' armor parts and helmet and that looked to scale compared to the oversized HT helmet... and my project in true 1:6 scale is on par with or a little bigger than the Kaiyodo sculpt. We'll keep people posted on our findings.

Working on the last ANH model before we can do some test prints. While working those out I will trudge through fixing the last 9 models... the face masks are going to be the worst as the connection points where the grills were merged into the face mask model has to be gone through on the polygon level to clean things up. I cannot simply use the optimizing tool as it works on the whole piece and risks making areas I do not need fixed broken and in need of fixing. Each tooth section on each face mask will likely take 1-2 days of concentrated work. Not looking forward to it. But... when it's done... they are fixed.

FaceMaskFixes.png

This will be the most epic custom project in the history of 1/6 Star Wars.

Many years in the making, but seems like the finish line is in sight. :horror :yess:

Finally, I was able to get a respiratory mask that was sealed and had the right kind of filters, so now I'm print ready. Since it's been a while I may have to update the firmware on the printer and update and re-acquaint myself with the slicer software.

Still working on fixing the models. Had to take a break from 3D models for a few days, though, as I felt like I was going insane.

Back