1:6 Cobra Viper Glider

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I taped together 4 pieces of paper to build my template/pattern.

3.jpg

Cut it out.

4.jpg

Draw the pattern onto the Foam Core. (sorry it's a bit hard to see the pencil marks, but you get the idea)

5.jpg

A close-up for about where I wanted my glider to "end" on the bottom, so my guy could stand and it wouldn't drag the ground. That middle tail part is also the height of the ends of the wings, so they all clear the ground (barely).

6.jpg

Cut out the Foam Core with your Exacto blade. GO SLOWLY, as Foam Core can definitely kink and knot. You will likely need lots of blades to get all the way around the glider. If your lines waver a little bit, don't worry- spraypaint and distance will likely cover any minor mistakes.

7.jpg

Next up, repeat the process for your vertical stabilizers. I cut an opening into them just big enough to allow them to slide onto the glider. It's a tight fit, but it also allows for "break away" if you accidentally drop it.

8.jpg

Cut-outs with the template:

9.jpg

10.jpg

Ready to paint? I am too.

I used Montana Black brand spray paints

BLK400-9001 BLACK

BLK400-5030 LIGHT BLUE

(Use only in a well-ventilated area. Kids, get your parents permission.... etc etc etc)

11.jpg

11a.jpg

11b.jpg

Base coat of LIGHT BLUE spray paint finished. Paint it one more time for even coating.

12.jpg

After this, you can do a couple of things for adding the BLACK camouflage:

First time, I actually cut out stencils of camo. However, as I applied the black spray paint, the edges kinked up and it bled pretty badly.

So, I re-spraypainted the glider with a new can of LIGHT BLUE (yeah, you'll pretty much use the whole can on a glider this size) and then created camouflage patterns out of 2-INCH WIDE MASKING TAPE. I then taped off the entire top of the glider, leaving only the areas I wanted to be painted black exposed, and spraypainted black.

However, even this didn't work 100%. Some areas slightly smudged, ran, bled and splattered.

Rather than figure out yet ANOTHER way to correct this, I instead opted for taking off ALL the 2-INCH WIDE MASKING TAPE, and from a distance of about 2 feet above the glider, I partially depressed the button on the spray paint can, which "sputtered" out spraypaint over the entire body, giving it a bit of a darker, "dotted" look on the blue area, which I think looks just fine, creating depth and almost a secondary camo pattern.

13.jpg

I painted some balsa wood pieces and glued them on to the glider.

The top side was to look kinda "technical" (in a Kirby way?), without adding "machine guns" like the original glider, which I thought was a tad silly.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406881821.868540.jpg

The large thin piece of balsa wood was for holding the straps/harness.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406881851.365355.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406881916.304566.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406881924.243855.jpg

A final pic, just a close-up of the "splatter" spray paint.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406882025.584821.jpg

Cool I have one too. I got stuck way back making the harness and handles. I'll be interested to see how you solve it. You can see I had a bunch of broken plastic bits that I glued together then spray painted to represent the electromechanical bits.

Attachments

• viper 1.jpg
    viper 1.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 99
  • viper 4.jpg
    viper 4.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Cool I have one too. I got stuck way back making the harness and handles. I'll be interested to see how you solve it. You can see I had a bunch of broken plastic bits that I glued together then spray painted to represent the electromechanical bits.

That looks great!!! A lot more accurate to the original than mine.

Back