1/6 Asmus Toys - The Hateful Eight Collectible Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't be so modest. You're a huge complainer. You pick companies apart so bad it's pathetic.

Of course I am. But I also can back up what I say, if I don't like what's offered I fix it with mods, I paint myself and taught myself to be pretty good at it etc. I always have high standards and an eye for detail, I do it for a living so it's natural it spills into my hobby and I make no apologies over it.

When you've got as many figures as I do you have to spend wisely, there's no room for anything better than a solid good at the very least and anything less than a great will naturally leave a lot to be desired.

It doesn't mean that I don't still want the characters that become wasted opportunities because lesser companies are doing them and dropping the ball. And I don't want to have to spend more money than I have to to make them better or on custom versions and replacement portraits etc. I mean it's fun but nothing is more satisfying to me than opening a figure and changing nothing. Honestly I think the last time that happened for me was maybe days of the future past wolverine.which I just loved straight out of box.

It's not just the small companies that get critisism from me. Like when hot toys drops the ball on a figure like the crow and I have to mod the hell out of it they get my harsh feedback too. The difference is that there's enough there to work with to get it great. I had to put money into another body but the rest of it was all just what came in the box and my time and the result I was happy with.

With the asmus Aragorn not only did I have to replace the body and mod a bunch on the outfit for accuracy even after removing the head and rooting the hair I just can't get the figure looking good because of the portrait which is s little soft in detail painted way too dark and undersized.

What I will give credit to these guys for is going after these Lisences. I mean hot toys sure as hell isnt. The last time they did a cult favorite or whatever was probably the aforementioned crow figure. The rest of the time it's just the 6th black widow who looks like she just came fresh off of the electric chair or something.

It makes me sad enterbay is out of the game. They sure as hell knew how to nail a human portrait and they went for the lesser properties like Leon and Django (RIP).

criticizing Asmus' human portraits is absolutely justifiable, as is doing the same for threezero. With so much product out there, and prices always creeping up, there is no excuse for a horrible likeness, cheap undetailed hair, crappy flimsy body, or sub par paint jobs. Thus far, asmus has yet to offer a human sculpt/ figure that didnt suffer from at least one, if not all three of those ailments.

if these come out looking good, no one will be more excited than me, or more quick to give them credit, but based on their track record, I am very skeptical.

criticizing Asmus' human portraits is absolutely justifiable, as is doing the same for threezero. With so much product out there, and prices always creeping up, there is no excuse for a horrible likeness, cheap undetailed hair, crappy flimsy body, or sub par paint jobs. Thus far, asmus has yet to offer a human sculpt/ figure that didnt suffer from at least one, if not all three of those ailments.

if these come out looking good, no one will be more excited than me, or more quick to give them credit, but based on their track record, I am very skeptical.

have you seen saruman yet?

Can someone please post a pic of this Kurt Russell sculpt by Caine?

13381118_229269870798834_755325386_n.jpg

Or merry and pippin, sturdy bodies, good paintjobs and the heads are spot on

Nice looking sculpt... let's hope it doesn't suffer like the John Connor figure...

Dunno what you think about the hair on their Saruman but I'd argue that's a great head - their best, easily.

Asmus has improved with just about every figure release. The Saruman set is their best work yet.

But these hobbits (Pip and Merry) look more like the "little people" doubles than Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan. The figures, from the neck down are great and in true "Hobbit scale", compared to the Sideshow Sam and Frodo figures. But the sculpts are far from capturing the actors. Yeah, you know who they are supposed to be, but they definitely are not, "Holy crap! It's Billy and Dominic in 1/6th scale."

Asmus does listen to their fans/collectors and that is something to be commended, as well.

I dig the Hangman. Wish he had his hat. One thing to worry about Asmus is that the production heads often look worse than the protos, and not just because of paint. If the Hangman looks that good upon release I will probably pick one up.

Last edited:
looks good to me, I'm sure there will be complaints though that his nose is off or eyes to big or mouth to sad or something else ridiculous.

Back