YouTube and Google gaming fiasco

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In reality, on a day, I record 2-3 hours of gameplay which is about 4 to 6 videos. Each video takes roughly 9 hours to edit, process and upload. Those are quite long days, considering it's 7 days a week. It's easy to nag towards Youtubers, while in reality, editors for movies and television do the exact same thing. They sit there all day clicking buttons. People have no idea how hard it can be to make proper quality videos on a daily basis. Add to that all the legal crap from things like copyright, it's a tough business and it's very hard to make more than minimum. There have been weeks where I've only managed to earn a good €50. I've had a lot of trouble finding a "real" job because of health issues. Youtube allowed me to work in a calm area with people I really like to work with and do what I've always liked to do. If they take that away from the Youtubers, it's gonna ruin gaming on a big scale. People tend to buy games based on what they see and they know most of the "official" footage is just pre-rendered stuff that you'll never see in the game.
Yeah, it's a job that people do at home, so people only see a guy playing a game or doing a vlog and think "man, what easy money this is". They don't know what it takes to make the content or how little money (if any) is really generated for most of these channels.

Anyways, I hope for your sake and those like you that this does indeed prove to be a temporary misstep and nothing more.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35P2-kVuHKI[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIh6t0d_MuA[/ame]

There is actually a difference between copyright and fair use. Fair use includes things like commentary and parodies which is what I'm protected by. Most claims put against me or people with the same network are usually safe because we go with the fair use law. They're mainly targetting people directly under Google's programs even though they're within the boundaries of fair use.

I don't belive fair use can come in to play here, as your profiting and it's my understanding that use can't profit of the use of the copyrighted material.

Something tells me this is not only about gaming ,but because games are copywriten material they are included.

No, youre right. A lot of the problem stems from people who post up complete albums and movies, game playthroughs that show full cut scenes etc..That's where the most noise comes from, but this new system is automated, so any infraction that's in the system will cause a strike on the video. That's why gaming has been hit so hard by it. It's hard to make a review or even a preview of a game without showing something that's been listed as an infraction.

I always understood that stuff like reviews were allowed to show some footage and sound though..I don't know. It depends on the companies that are working with this system. I know some record labels have been involved so if you show a clip of GTA V and there's a piece of a sing playing on the radio, the vid can be striked even though Rockstar has no problem with it.

ever since google wanted to put its *** on youtube everything went downhill

In reality, on a day, I record 2-3 hours of gameplay which is about 4 to 6 videos. Each video takes roughly 9 hours to edit, process and upload. Those are quite long days, considering it's 7 days a week. It's easy to nag towards Youtubers, while in reality, editors for movies and television do the exact same thing. They sit there all day clicking buttons. People have no idea how hard it can be to make proper quality videos on a daily basis. Add to that all the legal crap from things like copyright, it's a tough business and it's very hard to make more than minimum. There have been weeks where I've only managed to earn a good €50. I've had a lot of trouble finding a "real" job because of health issues. Youtube allowed me to work in a calm area with people I really like to work with and do what I've always liked to do. If they take that away from the Youtubers, it's gonna ruin gaming on a big scale. People tend to buy games based on what they see and they know most of the "official" footage is just pre-rendered stuff that you'll never see in the game.

:exactly::goodpost:

I don't belive fair use can come in to play here, as your profiting and it's my understanding that use can't profit of the use of the copyrighted material.

Look up the law. What you just said is outright stupid.

First line from wikipedia:

Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders.

We're not literally copying. We're altering it by adding commentary, that makes it fair use. We make it our experience to share. We don't upload movies, or footage captured by someone else. This is our recording and our commentary, which is fair use.

Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders.

We're not literally copying. We're altering it by adding commentary, that makes it fair use. We make it our experience to share. We don't upload movies, or footage captured by someone else. This is our recording and our commentary, which is fair use.

Plus a game is different from music or film since it's going to be played differently by everyone. It's a fine line perhaps, but if I watch a movie on youtube, I now have no reason to buy it, but watching someone play a game often makes me want to go buy it and play it myself. That's the biggest distinction for gaming IMO. Reviews, playthroughs etc are great ( and free) advertising for gaming publishers which is why they're not pushing for this to happen.

Don't the new systems even have a "share" feature hardwired into the controller?

The gaming eco-system is based on YouTube videos showing gaming content. Google didn't think this through.

First anyone who uses Wikipedia for reference must be right. Second if your going to call someone stupid you best be able to back it up, which you have failed to do. All you posted says limited use, which I didn't say was illegal. But what it doesn't say is you can profit from the use of copyrighted material.

What we make are basically tech demos. I often don't finish a game. I play the first hour or two, make a video, post it and snap, done. I turn off in-game radios, cut out things that might be copyrighted. Thing is, people have been getting copyright claims from even magazines because there's an article of a game in it. It's also not only gamers that have this, movie reviewers have had it, movie mistakes have had it, ... It indeed is a fine line, but 80% of the Youtubers post videos that are completely fine.

Hell, I even go to Kevin MacLeod if I need music for something.

Don't the new systems even have a "share" feature hardwired into the controller?

The gaming eco-system is based on YouTube videos showing gaming content. Google didn't think this through.

Hehe, good point.

First anyone who uses Wikipedia for reference must be right. Second if your going to call someone stupid you best be able to back it up, which you have failed to do. All you posted says limited use, which I didn't say was illegal. But what it doesn't say is you can profit from the use of copyrighted material.

What you fail to understand is that my commentary isn't copyrighted by anyone but me. Allow me to link you to the website I'm partnered with. It has plenty of info.

https://www.makerstudios.com/

Didn't it say you can still have the video just no revenue will be generated for the poster? So it doesn't effect the share system.

Didn't it say you can still have the video just no revenue will be generated for the poster? So it doesn't effect the share system.

It actually does. Twitch also works with revenue. Everyone's going to Twitch now that Youtube has royally ****ed people over.

It actually does. Twitch also works with revenue. Everyone's going to Twitch now that Youtube has royally ****ed people over.

Ok and you point is what? Show me where you can't share on google anymore. The point of the share button was to share not profit.

I don't fail to understand that at all unless you saying you show ZERO copyrighted material.

Hmm I'll pass on making you money :lol

Here's the whole explanation by Youtube:

What is fair use?

In many countries, certain uses of copyright-protected works do not infringe the copyright owner’s rights. For example, in the United States, copyright rights are limited by the doctrine of “fair use,” under which certain uses of copyrighted material for criticism, commentary, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research may be considered fair. U.S. judges determine whether a fair use defense is valid according to four factors, which we’ve listed below for educational purposes. In some other countries, there is a similar concept called "fair dealing" that may be applied differently.

Remember, it is your responsibility to understand the relevant law and whether it protects the use you have in mind. If you plan to use copyrighted material you didn’t create, we'd strongly advise you to take legal advice first. YouTube cannot provide legal advice or make legal determinations.
The four factors of fair use:
1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes

Courts typically focus on whether the use is “transformative.” That is, whether it adds new expression or meaning to the original, or whether it merely copies from the original.
2. The nature of the copyrighted work

Using material from primarily factual works is more likely to be fair than using purely fictional works.
3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole

Borrowing small bits of material from an original work is more likely to be considered fair use than borrowing large portions. However, even a small taking may weigh against fair use in some situations if it constitutes the “heart” of the work.
4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work

Uses that harm the copyright owner’s ability to profit from his or her original work are less likely to be fair uses. Courts have sometimes made an exception under this factor in cases involving parodies.

This is true, but I don't believe the sharing community would even exist without those people who do it for a living.

You so your taking legal advice from YouTube even though they tell you not to?

I get it you think your in the right, but clearly it's not definite or google would not be taking the steps they are.

This is true, but I don't believe the sharing community would even exist without those people who do it for a living.

Maybe but today's society is very much look at me one so I think the sharing would have taken off without it.

Back