Your personal favorite Film Decade

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abake

Rex Tremendae Majestatis
Reaction score
We all have had that couple of years that define our tastes, be it in music, literature, fashion, political views or movies.
Those precious years that leave an indelible mark on our psyche and that we revert to every time we think about our influences. We might grow up and out of certain tastes, or grow into others; we might admire and recognize "better" entertainment, but we never let go of the things that shaped our tastes.

So, which are those ten years in film-making that still accompany you?

For me, it has to be the decade between 1977 and 1987. No other ten years have put out movies that keep such a grip on my mind.

The entire Star Wars OT, Alien & Aliens, Predator, Excalibur, Midnight Express, Apocalypse Now, Blade Runner, Angel Heart, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Saturday Night Fever, Nosferatu, The Deer Hunter, Evil Dead, Full Metal Jacket, Hellraiser, Less Than Zero, Conan, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Wall...

Oh well, the list is endless.

My years are pretty much the same as yours but might move to 79-89 for Batman. All the movies you listed are in my favorites as well. Throw in Robocop, the Thing, Tron, Halloween, Terminator, Black Hole, Dune and many others as well. I will be 45 this october

My years are pretty much the same as yours but might move to 79-89 for Batman. All the movies you listed are in my favorites as well. Throw in Robocop, the Thing, Tron, Halloween, Terminator, Black Hole, Dune and many others as well. I will be 45 this october

Damn, how could I have forgotten The Thing and Terminator!

You guys both cheated by selecting 11 years. ;)

So abake gets 77-86 (no Predator for you) and punisher gets 79-88 (bye Batman.)

:D

Did I mention that maths was not my forte? :lol

Damn it Khev you party pooper. :gah:

:lol :lol

"Knock knock."

500full.jpg

I'd be inclined to go straight 80's; 1980-89.

I lose the original SW and ALIEN but keep ESB and ALIENS (both superior IMO) as well as RoboCop, Predator, AKIRA, Totoro, Die Hard, Batman, 80's John Woo (A Better Tomorrow I and II, The Killer), etc.

Interesting. I thought this was going to be rigidly - the 70s, the 80s, the 90s and so on. So it's any period of 10 years.

Do you have to have been of a movie-going age for your favourite 10 year period? I mean The Terminator came out in 1984 but I was only 2 and would have had no awareness of it at the time.

Assuming I can choose a period in which I would have been too young to actually see some of the movies when they were new I'll go with 1983-1993.

In no particular order

-Return of the Jedi (not my favourite one now but as a child it might have been)
-The Terminator, Terminator 2
-Back to the Future (I get the whole trilogy in fact)
-Aliens, Alien 3
-Predator, Predator 2
-Die Hard, Die Hard 2
-Lethal Weapon (the first 3 films)
-Indiana Jones TOD & TLC
-Jurassic Park
-Rocky IV
-Robocop
-Batman, Batman Returns
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
-Star Trek IV and VI (miss Wrath of Khan though)

I'm sure there's plenty more plus many non-sci-fi/fantasy non-action classics from that time.

Last edited:
I would have loved to catch as far back as 1975 for Jaws. That would also have obviously allowed for A New Hope, Empire, Alien, Bladerunner (granted I've only really liked this since Bladerunner 2049), Raiders of the Lost Ark, ET, The Thing.

Just there was no way I couldn't include 1991. And I decided to push to '93 for Jurassic Park.

80-86 is my cinematic sweet spot. My 10 has to include those years. But then it gets tougher trying to decide on the three years before or after. ANH and ALIEN vs. the latter 80's stuff. No single film from 87-89 has impacted me as much as ANH but there are way more films in that period than 77-79 for me.

Back