XM Studios Thanos

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the new tactic is to sell the Ex direct with Open Edition and sell the Regulars via Authorised Dealers.

"This item is a limited edtion, we do not know if it will have an edition size just yet If it does, it will be updated at a later date, but it may not end up being an item with an edition size
The Exclusivity of the piece is that it offers the little extra the regular will not"

308l1jb.png

But from a business standpoint Sideshow has nothing to worry about.

Hopefully XM inspires them artistically to take more chances with their designs.

Agreed. The main reasons I will buy XM pieces will be for nicer sculpts (i.e. Thanos, Wolverine and presumable Emma Frost), and to get characters that SS hasn't made (i.e. Magneto and probably Phoenix). I don't really care about edition sizes because even at the larger ESs, numerous SS pieces increase substantially in value. I have no great desire to pay 50%-100% more for a statue and then pay close to $200 in shipping, so the case needs to be pretty strong.

I really like XM's Cap, but from all the pics I've seen I still think the SS PF is better, and I think the EXs go for around $2K these days. I liked all the options on the XM Black Widow, but again can't justify paying 2X plus shipping vs. SS's Widow (I also prefer SS's portrait, but I think XM still has another to reveal). I prefer SS's green Hulk. Thor is still too early to tell but I already have the original PF and the modern on order. I'll probably end up with the SS Iron Man based on price and since it will fit in with the other maquettes. There is a good chance I will pick up XM's Hawkeye. My SS Hawkeye is still in the box, but folks have complained about it being too large in scale, and the pose was only so-so IMO. Ant Man looks cool, but that's not a character I'm interested in at 1:4. If they make the small Ant Man on ants companion piece available separately I might try to get that.

Thanos is a definite because I much prefer that one vs. SS's, which I also believe was 1:5 scale. Wolverine is a 90% only waiting to see the prototype. Even if SS were to announce a Magneto I can't imagine them topping XM's, but at half the price they might not have to. I'm really looking forward to XM's Phoenix, but if Sideshow surprises us with one that I can get for half the price not to mention an inevitable Dark variant, I'll likely go that route unless the sculpt is terrible. I'm also looking forward to seeing how Ms. Marvel and Emma turn out. I have the Ms. Marvel PF but XM's design might justify a pick up. XM could improve on SS's White Queen PF with one eye closed and on hand tied behind their back. However supposedly there is a new Emma coming from SS, but we've heard that song and dance before.

I do like XM's commitment to quality and the extra bells and whistles. New entrants need to bring new things to the table, and they are showing they can do that. If all things were equal it would be more of a horse race I'm sure, but Sideshow is still in a pretty comfortable position business-wise. But yes, hopefully XM will make them step up their creative game.

I's like to see XM touch on more new characters as opposed to SS redos, but realistically SS has hit 75% of the A-listers (except character like Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider on Hellcycle in PF, and Dr. Strange).

Last edited:
Looks like the new tactic is to sell the Ex direct with Open Edition and sell the Regulars via Authorised Dealers.

308l1jb.png

Damn. I hope they keep that shyte out of their Marvel and DC merch. I can deal with a large ES but I can't stand open ES pieces.

This happens but it is far from the norm. I get it, you are disgruntled with SSC but to deny the wealth of amazing releases from them is absurd. Just the fact that XM is putting their statues side by side with SSC statues is proof enough that the industry highly respects SSC as they have set the bar. Wanting to match them is what others in the industry are trying to do.

But why am I telling you this? You don't even believe your own post. Otherwise why would you hang on this forum and be active in threads involving plenty of SSC pieces.

As I've said many times before SS has exclusive rights to DC and Star Wars so there's ZERO choices out there in regards to those franchise other then dealing with SS. I've sold most of my SS Marvel PF's and other then Campbell's line I have no plans on buying Marvel statues from SS now that we have an option... people are disgruntle with SS and as more companies start offering options SS is going to see their customer base shrink. Even Igo has admitted they have QC issues.

As for this site, whatever it started out as has turned into a general statue forum. If it was purely SS statues only, we wouldn't be having this discussion given this is a thread for XM statues...

As for the wealth of amazing releases from SS that's purely subjective. I've never been a fan of fabric/doll outfits on statues, Sure I've bought a few like Harley due to having no other options, and as far as fabric outfits goes it was well done, but IMO it would fall well short when compared to a full sculpt version, so again it comes down to things be subjective to each person...

BTW, you should maybe go through all these XM threads, I think you'll find most of these arguments were started by SS fanboys coming into these threads trying to trash XM statues weather it be price or sculpts... My post you replied to was a reply to another user who was stating in a XM Thread that SS products were superior to XM... So your pretty much jumping into the middle an argument I was having with another person.. The reason I mentioned this is because the tone of your post seems to imply I just stated these issues about SS out of the blue for no reason.

Last edited:
As I've said many times before SS has exclusive rights to DC and Star Wars so there's ZERO choices out there in regards to those franchise other then dealing with SS. I've sold most of my SS Marvel PF's and other then Campbell's line I have no plans on buying Marvel statues from SS now that we have an option... people are disgruntle with SS and as more companies start offering options SS is going to see their customer base shrink. Even Igo has admitted they have QC issues.

As for this site, whatever it started out as has turned into a general statue forum. If it was purely SS statues only, we wouldn't be having this discussion given this is a thread for XM statues...

As for the wealth of amazing releases from SS that's purely subjective. I've never been a fan of fabric/doll outfits on statues, Sure I've bought a few like Harley due to having no other options, and as far as fabric outfits goes it was well done, but IMO it would fall well short when compared to a full sculpt version, so again it comes down to things be subjective to each person...

BTW, you should maybe go through all these XM threads, I think you'll find most of these arguments were started by SS fanboys coming into these threads trying to trash XM statues weather it be price or sculpts... My post you replied to was a reply to another user who was stating in a XM Thread that SS products were superior to XM... So your pretty much jumping into the middle an argument I was having with another person.. The reason I mentioned this is because the tone of your post seems to imply I just stated these issues about SS out of the blue for no reason.

I think you made a lot of good point. I only collected SS because they were the only ones making Marvel and DC 1:4 statues. Now with XM as an option, i think I am lucky. Especially since I live in Asia and can save a lot of $, as compared to buy exc from SS. I guess, for you guys to buy XM piece is like the collectors outside of US buYing SS exc items. :).

XM is good for SS in a way.

Yeah I would consider some seriously crazy XM **** if I wasn't about to get a-raped every time I ordered a piece

Sent from the **** Pit of the Millenium Falcon

Yeah I would consider some seriously crazy XM **** if I wasn't about to get a-raped every time I ordered a piece

HAHA. So true. I love sideshow, but if I would have to pay the comparable xm price for sideshow pieces... I probably wouldn't be in the hobby haha

HAHA. So true. I love sideshow, but if I would have to pay the comparable xm price for sideshow pieces... I probably wouldn't be in the hobby haha

For real lmao. I wouldn't have even gotten INTO the hobby. Like Batman made me push it at $400. when I used to say no to SS's releases as far back as '04 when i discovered them. I regret missing so many great pieces. Now I try to pick up everything I really like. To be honest I like low ES's as much as any other guy too but I won't skip on a piece I love because of a number. I prefer EXs cause if I sell em, I can get back more or close to. I love this hobby

For real lmao. I wouldn't have even gotten INTO the hobby. Like Batman made me push it at $400. when I used to say no to SS's releases as far back as '04 when i discovered them. I regret missing so many great pieces. Now I try to pick up everything I really like. To be honest I like low ES's as much as any other guy too but I won't skip on a piece I love because of a number. I prefer EXs cause if I sell em, I can get back more or close to. I love this hobby

Yeah. Money is right for me right now, but even when it isn't, I'll never buy anything I don't plan on keeping forever. Now there might be times when I get a statue, and a better version of that character comes out, then I upgrade. But I won't be buying statues like lobo or dead pool or anything xmen...

Yeah. Money is right for me right now, but even when it isn't, I'll never buy anything I don't plan on keeping forever. Now there might be times when I get a statue, and a better version of that character comes out, then I upgrade. But I won't be buying statues like lobo or dead pool or anything xmen...

Damn bro, that Lobo is mad tempting lol. Have you seen the video? So sick

A new Thanos 1/4 statue? My bowen museum thanos is one of my most prized pieces and I will never get rid of it, but color me interested!

Lobo lobo lobo, you sure you don't want him? :rotfl

A new Thanos 1/4 statue? My bowen museum thanos is one of my most prized pieces and I will never get rid of it, but color me interested!

Hadn't thought about this. I could sell my Bowen museum Thanos to help pay for this one and get back some space in the process. I've still got the Thanos on throne so the character is well represented in the collection. Then again the BD Thanos is quite nice and it does have the Infinity Gauntlet. Oh well I've got a while to go before making that decision.

Hadn't thought about this. I could sell my Bowen museum Thanos to help pay for this one and get back some space in the process. I've still got the Thanos on throne so the character is well represented in the collection. Then again the BD Thanos is quite nice and it does have the Infinity Gauntlet. Oh well I've got a while to go before making that decision.

This Thanos has the Infinity Gauntlet and the Cosmic Cube!!

The BD Thanos comes with a cosmic cube too :)

I love my BD Thanos. It was my first "expensive' statue and my fiancé surprised me with it for christmas a few years ago, so it is one of, if not my most cherished piece. I could never sell it.

That said, I pose it with my 1/6 figures. Looks amazing with HT Iron Man figs, Thor and Cap America. If this new statue is 1/4, he will go with my premium formats and I will happily break my general rule of not having two versions of one character for my favorite marvel villain.

Back