XM Studios Darth Maul

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great news! David Giraud, the sculptor of the Darth Maul statue, will be interviewed and reviewing this statue on the Shelf Space live stream show this coming Sunday at 2pm EST. Check it out on FB or YouTube! It's rare to have the sculptor review a statue live so this is a really cool treat. Lots of prelim designs will be posted as well as news on past and upcoming projects!

avm0d4.jpg

Last edited:
Got mine unboxed yesterday evening and i am totally blown away! What a great statue! Painting on it is beautiful and the weight is insane! Really glad that i pulled the trigger! :)

We'll be reviewing this statue with the sculptor this afternoon at 2pm EST. Check it out. Find our Shelf Space live stream page on FB! See you guys at 2pm est! Look us up on FB!

I don't understand why people are still receiving this yet Andy at heroes-collectibles has been told by XM studios not to ship.

I don't understand why people are still receiving this yet Andy at heroes-collectibles has been told by XM studios not to ship.

My contact in Singapore was told the same thing by XM so it's just not Andy... There was a first batch that did go out I'm guessing risingstar was part of that first batch and just got lucky the outfit didn't break during shipping.

I imagine these will start shipping again within a week or so... once XM tweaks the box holding the part that seems to break during shipping.

Looks like a really cool eye catching statue that turned out well as expected. But does look like an accident waiting to happen, the flowing capes, the handle bars, the point where his foot attaches to the speeder...I would definitely display this in an enclosed very safe place. And I would never ship it again, if selling would have to be in person.

We'll be reviewing this statue with the sculptor this afternoon at 2pm EST. Check it out. Find our Shelf Space live stream page on FB! See you guys at 2pm est! Look us up on FB!

Great interview, it was good to see some of the preliminary drawings before the final design was approved. I think the final end product is the best version. But a shirtless switch out would have been incredible. Wasted opportunity there, and perhaps many more would have been preordered.

Shirtless switch out ? No thanks, and the fact it was capped at 270 pieces has already urged collectors rushing for their pre-orders already unless they're feeling Ok with secondary market price for this bad boy.

I didn’t watch the interview yet but I would have gone for a shirtless switch out as it would break up all of the black. It might have also helped with viewing angles. This piece is big so I have it displayed in a specific spot at a specific angle (too fit on a specific shelf) and you can only see Darth Maul’s face at just the right viewing angle. This probably has to do with his left arm as well. Maybe a switch out where the hood blew back would have been cool? Though I realize these challenges are specific to my set-up.

Anyway, count me among those who received a broken one. At least the break isn’t especially noticeable so that he can be on display while I wait for a replacement part.

Aside from these observations and the shipping/packing mishap, I’m thrilled with the statue. It is a very impressive piece.

IMG_0653.jpg

That's a great side by side wth Luke, gives you some scale on size. He's massive isn't he?

It takes up a lot of space for sure so keep that in mind for those of you who are thinking about picking him up. The more you rotate the statue to the right (to get an optimal angle) the deeper he gets.

Spoke to Andy again today from heroes-collectibles and he said XM studios as altering the packaging slightly so there's less chance of damage. This will be resolved soon and heroes-collectibles will be shipping maul very soon.

I wonder if statue companies drop test the finished boxed statue before mass production of all the packaging. If they don't they should.

It takes up a lot of space for sure so keep that in mind for those of you who are thinking about picking him up. The more you rotate the statue to the right (to get an optimal angle) the deeper he gets.

Thanks for the head up and very useful tip, I will keep this in mind when making a custom display case for this one.

Back