WTC's Customs & Mods: ESB - FETT HELMET

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next up, WAMPA!!

I finally have the 1/4 body, and I’m just getting started. This thing is going to be HUGE!

Attachments

• 77E62BAD-C645-4544-BE83-C2F6055035CC.jpeg
    77E62BAD-C645-4544-BE83-C2F6055035CC.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 21
Half an hour (felt like half a day) of hand drilling later, and I got the hole made to fit the ankle socket onto the Wampa foot. It’s a very tight fit as well. I thought I would need super glue, but that socket isn’t budging. I was lucky enough to get the socket out of the stock foot without damaging it very much as well. Who knows, maybe I’ll need to make a Bigfoot custom one day. 😀

AD9EC081-D049-4D1D-B373-BD8D62BB16D6.jpeg

Firing up the 3D printer again for a project I have cooking on another burner. Can you all guess who this is going to be? I’m super stoked about this one, but it's going to be a lot of work to capture the look perfectly. I don’t expect Hot Toys to ever make this character.

D77CB097-DD8F-4C5B-A84A-F2F4AC536845.jpeg

Last edited:
OMG is that Zero from the Mandalorian?! Did you make the files yourself? Excellent work so far!

OMG is that Zero from the Mandalorian?! Did you make the files yourself? Excellent work so far!
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Yes it's Zero. His design is amazing, and original, while fitting perfectly within the established SW design convention. He's one of my favorite droids now, I have to make him. 😄

No, I didn't make the files. I don't have the skills for that yet. It's a costume that I'm scaling down and modifying. The costume is meant to be worn by a person of course, so the legs of the file are for placing over human legs, which impacts accuracy quite a bit, since "Z" has very droid-like legs. So I'm modifying parts from a K-2SO model, and parts from a custom "Black Series" Darktrooper model. I expect lots of swearing, and shaking my fists at the sky while figuring out how to do this, but it will be an excellent learning experience for me.

Stay tuned. If I can manage to pull this one off it's going to be great!

Man I want a Q-90 in the collection, big time. I always throw his name in those “figure wishlist” threads that pop up every year :lol
Will be follow this build with great interest!
Yeah, he's a great design. That costume was in the season 1 episode where Mando had to fight his way out of Navarro. There was a Zero type droid there and he was even using the same blaster, the only difference was in that he had different leather ammo pouches.

Lots of cool projects in the works, Kris!
I decided to do more than one at a time so that if I hit a wall trying to solve a problem on one project, or I get frustrated, I can switch to the other. I think toggling between two vastly different projects may also keep the creative juices flowing, so to speak. The bonus is that I'll have two figures when I'm done. Maybe when the Wampa snd Zero are done I'll revisit the ESB Fett project again. He's standing here at the bench watching me make these other customs like "WTF???" :ROFLMAO: I haven't touched him since this pandemic stuff started.

Finished printing all the head parts. All post processed and test fit great. The eyes and eye frames were very thin and flimsy. The eyes seem okay after a spin in the curing station, but I think I’m going to thicken them and the frames in Meshmixer and reprint to see if that makes them a little more sturdy. The antennae was a mess and fell apart in the ultrasonic cleaner. I think I’m going to have to make it out of wire and sculpt the small details onto it myself.

first pic is fresh out of the printer. The second is just a test fit of the primary head parts.

00BB287B-59D6-49E3-80A3-83A188B83133.jpeg

F92A27B8-18A9-490B-8C3E-10B68356D2C4.jpeg

Last edited:
I decided to do more than one at a time so that if I hit a wall trying to solve a problem on one project, or I get frustrated, I can switch to the other. I think toggling between two vastly different projects may also keep the creative juices flowing, so to speak. The bonus is that I'll have two figures when I'm done. Maybe when the Wampa snd Zero are done I'll revisit the ESB Fett project again. He's standing here at the bench watching me make these other customs like "WTF???" :ROFLMAO: I haven't touched him since this pandemic stuff started.
I've started a similar approach, where I try to always have a "main" custom going on, and do some less intense projects on the side in between.
I'm still working on Fett, he's definitely the most challenging custom I've ever worked on. Been going on since February now, I must've put 100+ hours into him now.
For now, everything is boxed up though. I'm renovating my collection room in September, and we're having a baby in October, so I most likely won't continue him until the end of the year.
If in the meantime you feel that your helmet print is good enough to sell though, I'm all in. :lol

I've started a similar approach, where I try to always have a "main" custom going on, and do some less intense projects on the side in between.
I'm still working on Fett, he's definitely the most challenging custom I've ever worked on. Been going on since February now, I must've put 100+ hours into him now.
For now, everything is boxed up though. I'm renovating my collection room in September, and we're having a baby in October, so I most likely won't continue him until the end of the year.
If in the meantime you feel that your helmet print is good enough to sell though, I'm all in. :lol
Congratulations on the baby!

I hear you on how challenging Fett is. Part of the reason mine is on the back burner is because of the amount of work involved. Painting the helmet alone will be a nightmare. I plan to use stencils to get the paint job perfect, which should be lots of fun in 1/6 scale lol.

I just realized that I can use the dud head that goes in the Hot Toys Fett helmet to build Zero’s head around. It works perfectly and the neck joint from the Stormtrooper body I’m using fits into it nice and snug but not overly tight, and the head fills out the interior of Zero's head quite nicely. As most of you know Hot Toys neck sockets and joints are not standardized, so I really feel lucky it worked. Take a look.

44F56500-25B3-4195-B7C9-91421BE40B00.jpeg

B0BFECEA-30E1-43C4-86A1-0F7332922E41.jpeg

Last edited:
Having a head to test fit the helmet around and attach to the neck also gave me an opportunity to see if the scalding looks correct.

At first the Zero parts looked slightly over-scaled, but after comparing him to another armored Hot Toys figure like my Mimban Stormtrooper, I can see that the scaling looks perfect.

Feeling so good about how this project is progressing!

91718A96-5697-4CF2-89EB-4CFB38A6CC38.jpeg

Back