Will the global economic crisis affect your collecting habits?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puay

Super Freak
Reaction score
Now that the economic crisis has turned global. I guess everyone did be affected in a way or another. Some may have already felt the impact while others might take a while to see the difference. Where I live, the government has already warned of a coming recession. Are you guys buying less in anticipation for bad times ahead?:rolleyes:

Yes. I really haven't even really started collecting in the 1/6 biusness (though I do have a SS Part 6 Jason Voorhess figure) but I did/do collect horror movie masks but have had to cut back substancially on that among other things even before the economic crisis and now I have to be even more carefull on what I spend. As it stands there are a ton of figures/masks and other things out there I would love to have but will have pass them up for time being.

It has for me but that has a lot to deal with the rising cost of gas and the fact that my hubby goes through 2 tanks of premium per week.....

Now that gas is a little cheaper it doesn't hurt as much.....

Still I have wanted to cut back on some things I collect because I just don't have room.

2 tanks of premium, ouch. When Gas went up I parked my Mustang and bought a cheap economy car for a while.

I cut back collecting alot. It's tougher for me since I live by myself and everything (bills, etc.) is on my back. What makes things worse is that my paycheck fluctuates throughout the year because I'm in the construction field. There is a tremendous dropoff in windows, siding, and roofing between December-March. I could go from making a thousand or two a week during the summer to being lucky enough to even take in a $200 check during the winter.

Last winter was especially tough. I not only split from the wife in the midst of the slow period (luckily no kids or assets...she left the day after Christmas out of the blue), but there were a couple of weeks where I couldn't bring in a paycheck. That was the scariest time of my life. I had just enough to pay the bills & utilities for my household, but I had to turn in savings bonds and use credit cards to put food on my table. The economy scares the crap out of me. You just need to budget accordingly to plan ahead for the future. There were a few products that I really wanted but didn't have any choice but to cancel. I took what I learned from earlier this year to get myself back on my feet. It's going to be a tough time no matter what. My collectibles had to be minimal this year and the economic conditions absolutely had to do with the cutbacks.

For my situation, I was originally rather hopeful for a substantial amount for the year-end bonus as the company I work in, did very well in the past year. With the present situation, things could change. I might have to forget about catching up on some of the stuff I missed out earlier.:(

I cut back collecting alot. It's tougher for me since I live by myself and everything (bills, etc.) is on my back. What makes things worse is that my paycheck fluctuates throughout the year because I'm in the construction field. There is a tremendous dropoff in windows, siding, and roofing between December-March. I could go from making a thousand or two a week during the summer to being lucky enough to even take in a $200 check during the winter.

Last winter was especially tough. I not only split from the wife in the midst of the slow period (luckily no kids or assets...she left the day after Christmas out of the blue), but there were a couple of weeks where I couldn't bring in a paycheck. That was the scariest time of my life. I had just enough to pay the bills & utilities for my household, but I had to turn in savings bonds and use credit cards to put food on my table. The economy scares the crap out of me. You just need to budget accordingly to plan ahead for the future. There were a few products that I really wanted but didn't have any choice but to cancel. I took what I learned from earlier this year to get myself back on my feet. It's going to be a tough time no matter what. My collectibles had to be minimal this year and the economic conditions absolutely had to do with the cutbacks.

I can understand the kind of hardship you are going through, I had a failed investment some time back. It took me quite a while to get out of those bad time.

I continued with my collection but selectively, that pretty much is a distraction from the problems that I have to face constantly.:)

Last edited:
The down turn in the Asian markets will effect everyone. The yen is down 6% in Japan and there is a sell-off panic going on in Hong Kong. Prices on products from Asia will most certainly see an increase--from electronics to toys.

I would imagine (as Slade said) that prices of products will continue to to increase, which will hurt collectors even if they are not hurting already. This economic down-turn has come at a time when I've already started becoming more selective as my collection has reached critical mass. I'm not really into buying figures that I will leave in a box, so I've been more mindful of buying figures I intend to display... which usually means another figure is being sold off.

And as a for instance: A year or two ago I would have been all over that Aboyd clearance sale, but now even for a super-low price I'm passing on so-so figures.

My collection has been reduced by the dozens. I sold off my sideshow figures and other assorted figures. All I have left are my Hot Toys which is about 9 figures. Hopefully I won't have to sell them too. I have a BR Joker and Iron Man on preorder which I may have to cancel.
A Hot Toys DK Batman just got charged to my card today that I was not expecting till the middle of next month, really screwed my account up. This might be the last for a while for me.

I feel for anyone who has to sell off figures to stay afloat with monthly bills. That sux, but I would hope that you at least made back close to what you invested in something when you sell it off. Makes me very thankful to be in a position where I just hafta slow down the buying for a trip to Boston over Thanksgiving and the coming Xmas holidays.

It' OK, I have had to sacrifice quantity over quality. I have to be more selective. Ebay has helped me finance my prized possessions.

I've already sold off a lot of figures and cut down, but that was due more to my tastes changing than financial hardship - after buying Hot Toys figures, Sideshow figures have largely lost their appeal, though I'll get Indy. However, the fact that Sterling has plummeted will affect my collecting, as much of what I buy is in dollars, and my pound now buys much less.

Next year the crisis will get much worse, so downsizing my collection to its essentials through choice is preferable to being forced to sell next year. Ultimately I think I'll be left with Hot Toys Superman figures, HT Batman, a couple of Bond figures, Toys McCoy Indy and SSC Jedi Luke - not a huge collection but a nice little display cabinet worth of figures of iconic characters.

I've already necided not to buy the BR Joker; I'll get the SSC Indy and the Medicom Han next year.

Absolutely. I expect the prices of toys to skyrocket as materials,manufacturing and shipping costs rise and demand drops. Enjoy these salad days while we can boys and girls.

Yes, I have become much more selective. I have too many hobbies and this is one that requires the most attention when it comes to spending. That's mostly because each purchase just gets more and more $$$.

I hope not,here are my pre orders:

Conan PF
300 Leonidas PF
T 800 PF

Cobra Commander 12" WL

:horror$$$$$$$$$$$:horror

Back