Why doesn't Sideshow use other materials in their mixed material line-Premium Format?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so we've established that you don't read very well. Either that or your short-term memory is fried. The Wolverine PF was addressed in the very first sentence of my last post...cough... and you even quoted it. Also, I never said metal degraded quicker than cloth. I stated that it has a higher corrosion rate in environments where there's a higher salt content in the air. Having lived less than 3 blocks from the beach, I can assure you that even stainless steel corrodes. The thing you clearly keep ignoring which I've been reiterating from the very first post is DUST. Adding dust to rubber causes the rubber to degrade. Or are you blatantly ignoring the many threads in this very forum which back that fact up 100%? And last time I checked, it doesn't rain in people's homes, let alone inside bookshelves and detolfs. So your comparison of cloth getting wet is irrelevant.

Dust is not the only thing that degrades. Same as keeping your statues away from sunlight and water. Just keep your statues dusted same as keeping it away from light and water. If you think in an average environment stainless steel or metals degrades faster than cloth then :slap There are metal statues still standing today after many years in the weather, cloth would have rotted long ago. And there are other metals that don't rush or corrode as easily.

Dust is not the only thing that degrades. Same as keeping your statues away from sunlight and water. Just keep your statues dusted same as keeping it away from light and water. If you think in an average environment stainless steel or metals degrades faster than cloth then :slap There are metal statues still standing today after many years in the weather, cloth would have rotted long ago. And there are other metals that don't rush or corrode as easily.

For the cheap seats....

I never stated metal degrades faster than cloth. Just that it degrades faster (than it usually would) when exposed to environments with high salt content. :wave

And while this little chat has been oh, so charming, it doesn't address the main point of the initial post you quoted. Costs would go up. Both production and shipping. An increased cost in manufacturing is not something a company just eats. They pass it on to the consumer. And with something like an all metal Iron Man, not only would production costs skyrocket, but shipping would be considerably higher as well. Doubly so for international orders.

And while this little chat has been oh, so charming, it doesn't address the main point of the initial post you quoted. Costs would go up. Both production and shipping. An increased cost in manufacturing is not something a company just eats. They pass it on to the consumer. And with something like an all metal Iron Man, not only would production costs skyrocket, but shipping would be considerably higher as well. Doubly so for international orders.

Nah they already incorporate metal into Wolvie's claws and he didn't cost more than other PFs. It won't cost more than light up functions if you do it right. Just got to try to use the right mix in moderation and not go overboard.

For the cheap seats....

I never stated metal degrades faster than cloth. Just that it degrades faster (than it usually would) when exposed to environments with high salt content. :wave

I agree with you on the Production costs and consequently the final product cost but not with the shipping costs. As I said before metal doesn't need to be heavy. It can be much lighter than polystone and still very resistant.

Nah they already incorporate metal into Wolvie's claws and he didn't cost more than other PFs. It won't cost more than light up functions if you do it right. Just got to try to use the right mix in moderation and not go overboard.

I agree with you on the Production costs and consequently the final product cost but not with the shipping costs. As I said before metal doesn't need to be heavy. It can be much lighter than polystone and still very resistant.

Okay, since neither of you seem to get it, despite my quoting and mentioning it several times.... Let's look at an Iron Man Premium Format. For the base body you'll have polystone. That's how Sideshow does things (unless it's Boba Fett :nana:). Now add to that polystone sculpture, a base coat of primer and all the necessary paints. Next up, instead of the lightweight cloth wardrobe, you start putting on the metal parts of the armor, beit aluminum or even cheap pot metal. Now add paint to that and some clearcoat. Then, add any plastics, light-up functions, etc. You can both sit there still claiming that it won't weigh more than an IM comiquette completely sculpted out of polystone?! :lol

Okay, since neither of you seem to get it, despite my quoting and mentioning it several times.... Let's look at an Iron Man Premium Format. For the base body you'll have polystone. That's how Sideshow does things (unless it's Boba Fett :nana:). Now add to that polystone sculpture, a base coat of primer and all the necessary paints. Next up, instead of the lightweight cloth wardrobe, you start putting on the metal parts of the armor, beit aluminum or even cheap pot metal. Now add paint to that and some clearcoat. Then, add any plastics, light-up functions, etc. You can both sit there still claiming that it won't weigh more than an IM comiquette completely sculpted out of polystone?! :lol

..............................:lecture

For the record, Sideshow has used metal on more than just the Wolverine PF. The LOTR Uruk-Hai Berserker's sword is made entirely out of metal, and it weighs a ton. Similarly, the Blackbeard PF's sword is also made out of metal.

As for the rubber vs. cloth debate, there is no comparison. Rubber deteriorates MUCH faster than any cloth material, regardless of exposure. Someone mentioned digging up artifacts - there are NO rubber artifacts dating back hundreds of years; rubber either dries up and cracks, or liquifies over time. It's inescapable. And yet there are thousands of examples of period clothing in museums around the world; take care of your cloth and it can last for hundreds of years.

To sum up - metal, yes, cloth, yes, rubber, no.

For the record, Sideshow has used metal on more than just the Wolverine PF. The LOTR Uruk-Hai Berserker's sword is made entirely out of metal, and it weighs a ton. Similarly, the Blackbeard PF's sword is also made out of metal.

:goodpost::exactly: Would love the continued use of metal.

:goodpost::exactly: Would love the continued use of metal.

Funny how you ignored the rest of his post...

As for the rubber vs. cloth debate, there is no comparison. Rubber deteriorates MUCH faster than any cloth material, regardless of exposure. Someone mentioned digging up artifacts - there are NO rubber artifacts dating back hundreds of years; rubber either dries up and cracks, or liquifies over time. It's inescapable. And yet there are thousands of examples of period clothing in museums around the world; take care of your cloth and it can last for hundreds of years.

To sum up - metal, yes, cloth, yes, rubber, no.

I was wondering this same question in a bit of a different direction earlier today. A few Lord of the Rings fans have been discussing the possibility of a Cave Troll as a premium format, and it had been suggested that maybe Sideshow could pursue such a large figure using material other than polystone. They did so with the PF Boba Fett, using an plastic blend (that made a few people upset), but if people were aware that a larger figure might use a "cheaper" material, they might be okay with a change in their usual materials. Something that would be just as durable but might keep the materials or shipping costs down a little bit might be a way to go if Sideshow were to ever consider this figure.

I was wondering this same question in a bit of a different direction earlier today. A few Lord of the Rings fans have been discussing the possibility of a Cave Troll as a premium format, and it had been suggested that maybe Sideshow could pursue such a large figure using material other than polystone. They did so with the PF Boba Fett, using an plastic blend (that made a few people upset), but if people were aware that a larger figure might use a "cheaper" material, they might be okay with a change in their usual materials. Something that would be just as durable but might keep the materials or shipping costs down a little bit might be a way to go if Sideshow were to ever consider this figure.

Yeah, I don't get the naysaying over using rotocast PVC over polystone. By looks alone, you'd never guess the Boba PF wasn't polystone.

Some types of PVC discolour rather quickly, particularly white. And obviously, PVC is much more prone to wilting, sometimes when even out of direct sunlight or near a heat source.

I think a happy medium would be a hollow piece made out of something very rigid - either polystone or some other resin-based material - and cast in a two-part mold. That way, you avoid the problem of the figure wilting over time (I'm looking at you, Mort) and yet avoid the shipping costs that would be incurred by creating a solid piece. The drawback is that you'd have to clean the pieces after molding; removing excess material and sanding down the gaps, which means added costs.

Some types of PVC discolour rather quickly, particularly white. And obviously, PVC is much more prone to wilting, sometimes when even out of direct sunlight or near a heat source.

I think a happy medium would be a hollow piece made out of something very rigid - either polystone or some other resin-based material - and cast in a two-part mold. That way, you avoid the problem of the figure wilting over time (I'm looking at you, Mort) and yet avoid the shipping costs that would be incurred by creating a solid piece. The drawback is that you'd have to clean the pieces after molding; removing excess material and sanding down the gaps, which means added costs.

Wasn't Mort vinyl? :dunno

Back