Why doesn't Sideshow use other materials in their mixed material line-Premium Format?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricardofeitoza

Super Freak
Reaction score
Good afternoon

I would like to know why Sideshow doesn't use other materials(Rubber, Metal and wood as examples) in their mixed material line(Premium Format)?
It would be so great seeing Captain America`s shield made of metal, Thor`s hammer or some of lord of the rings weapons, shields, Helms. Imagine an Iron Man with its armor made of metal!! Nowadays we have aluminum alloys that are very resistent and still much lighter than polystone. I know it would increase the price but It is a Premium Format line isn't it? It would be a great way to separate it from the regular polystone line.

The Captain America Movie PF has everything to be the greatest of all PF if made right! Give us a metal shield with it Sideshow!!!

chrisevansnaew13012011.jpg

Just an idea guys! :cuckoo:

Ricardo

Last edited:
Metal that's a remote possibility,if it isn't heavy,but wood ? forget it,you can't mold wood has to be done by hand 1 by 1,unless it's a base or something could be done.

Can you imagine the Jack Sparrow's PF old barrel made of wood with metal rings ? Too much work.

Well unless they come up with Premium Format "PLUS" with everything real.

Probably we will see happening with Hot Toys before SideShow.

Sometimes I wonder if you guys really think things through before starting threads and/or posting. If Sideshow made PFs out of metal, there'd be threads here with freaks pissing and moaning about price and shipping costs. :monkey1 :lol

Sometimes I wonder if you guys really think things through before starting threads and/or posting. If Sideshow made PFs out of metal, there'd be threads here with freaks pissing and moaning about price and shipping costs. :monkey1 :lol

Ya know, if I wasn't so new here, I probably would have said the same thing. :rotfl

Al :)

MySpace
Kitbuilders Magazine

You have been here for a while by your post count and i respect that but Metal doesn't need to be heavy. Some aluminum alloys can be very resistant(More than steel sometimes) and still be very light. They also are not expensive as you can find cheap $100 bicycles made with that kind of aluminum. The other issue you brought up was price. Sideshow is raising the prices and they are not improving the quality of it's products(Iron Man Maquette as an example!). We are all paying a lot already for just polystone. Optimus Prime is a good example as it costs $1200 and Sideshow did not even bother giving us a light up feature.
They could have used rubber for the Tires and some metal parts and of course give us a light up feature. I do not think people would bother paying $1500(just $300 more) if they do these improvements.
But that's just my opinion and you and other fellow freaks have all the rights to think differently.

Last edited:
You have been here for a while by your post count and i respect that but Metal doesn't need to be heavy. Some aluminum alloys can be very resistant(More than steel sometimes) and still be very light. They also are not expensive as you can find cheap $100 bicycles made with that kind of aluminum. The other issue you brought up was price. Sideshow is raising the prices and they are not improving the quality of it's products(Iron Man Maquette as an example!). We are all paying a lot already for just polystone. Optimus Prime is a good example as it costs $1200 and Sideshow did not even bother giving us a light up feature.
They could have use rubber for the Tires and some metal parts and of course give us a light up feature. I do not think people would bother paying $1500(just $300 more) if they do these improvements.
But that's just my opinion and you and other fellow freaks have all the rights to think differently.

Good post bro, Wolverine PF had metal claws, I believe so that's a start and so has been implemented to some degree already. Hope they do more of other mixed media in the future and maybe less thick cloth. :hi5:

You have been here for a while by your post count and i respect that but Metal doesn't need to be heavy. Some aluminum alloys can be very resistant(More than steel sometimes) and still be very light. They also are not expensive as you can find cheap $100 bicycles made with that kind of aluminum.

But you mentioned Iron Man being made out of metal pieces. The amount of R&D and forge needed to pull that off would make him VERY expensive. And if you don't go the forge method, you'd need to stamp it. Still looking at very pricey manufacturing for a limited edition collectible. Which leads to...

The other issue you brought up was price. Sideshow is raising the prices and they are not improving the quality of it's products(Iron Man Maquette as an example!). We are all paying a lot already for just polystone. Optimus Prime is a good example as it costs $1200 and Sideshow did not even bother giving us a light up feature.
They could have used rubber for the Tires and some metal parts and of course give us a light up feature. I do not think people would bother paying $1500(just $300 more) if they do these improvements.

If light-up features can't be put in without compromising the integrity of the piece, that's understandable. But rubber, :lol. Rubber rots. Imagine paying $1200 for Prime and in 5 years, the rubber used for the tires starts to deteriorate because being mostly of other materials, you left him in in an area where he can gather dust. Or the metal parts have started to corrode because you live near the beach and the salt in the air has started eating away at it because with good weather you leave the windows open. Maybe with hot/cold expansion and the metal pieces being more susceptible to temperature changes, the paint begins to blister and flake with the constant flexing and retracting. You email Sideshow and they're helpless as you're having QC issues with a product that's been out of production for half a decade. Assuming your proposal would only cost $300 more is naive. While actual product materials might, the R&D, development and production would not. And that's something that you have to factor into overall price as that's a cost that's passed onto the customer. Remember, these things don't just make themselves.

A more reasonable argument would be discussing SSC making these things out of PVC and potentially dropping the price while increasing the durability of the product. As they've shown with Boba Fett's PF, it can look just as awesome not being made out of polystone. And being made from PVC, shipping both nationally and abroad would be a considerable load off of customers' wallets. Another plus is that PVC is a lot more forgiving in the durability area so more pieces would reach more collectors without breakage. The only hurdle would be collectors overcoming the mental hurdle of "just because it's light doesn't mean it's cheap."

Last edited:
One word: Cost. We've seen them incorporate other materials when they can but Sideshow knows that both in shipping and in initial price of a piece if it costs too much people cancel out especially international buyers who bear the brunt of a lot of the shipping. When they can they will, when it isn't cost effective or collector friendly they won't. Not to mention there are already QC issues out of their Chinese factories can you imagine adding more cooks to the kitchen with various materials and really getting multiple variables if they can't get cloth and polystone correct 100% of the time?

One word: Cost. We've seen them incorporate other materials when they can but Sideshow knows that both in shipping and in initial price of a piece if it costs too much people cancel out especially international buyers who bear the brunt of a lot of the shipping. When they can they will, when it isn't cost effective or collector friendly they won't. Not to mention there are already QC issues out of their Chinese factories can you imagine adding more cooks to the kitchen with various materials and really getting multiple variables if they can't get cloth and polystone correct 100% of the time?

I'm about to tap on this thread. :lol You really can't explain production costs to people who can't see past the store counter. :huh

I totally agree with the bold area! :lecture

Or how about some sort of rubberized material? I always pictured a lot of xmen costumes made of that....Like the one in the Xmen movies that wolverine wears...its definitely not made of cloth, maybe more of a faux leather or something. For example on the PF sabretooth, I love the statue but I think something other than cloth would have made it that much better.

It was done with the Wolverine PF so all you guys going on about costs and how it never happend is out the window because there is a precedence. If done with moderation and taste it can go a long way.

As for rubber degrading, cloth degrades as well so there goes that argument......

Or how about some sort of rubberized material? I always pictured a lot of xmen costumes made of that....Like the one in the Xmen movies that wolverine wears...its definitely not made of cloth, maybe more of a faux leather or something. For example on the PF sabretooth, I love the statue but I think something other than cloth would have made it that much better.

:exactly:

If light-up features can't be put in without compromising the integrity of the piece, that's understandable. But rubber, :lol. Rubber rots. Imagine paying $1200 for Prime and in 5 years, the rubber used for the tires starts to deteriorate because being mostly of other materials, you left him in in an area where he can gather dust. Or the metal parts have started to corrode because you live near the beach and the salt in the air has started eating away at it because with good weather you leave the windows open. Maybe with hot/cold expansion and the metal pieces being more susceptible to temperature changes, the paint begins to blister and flake with the constant flexing and retracting. You email Sideshow and they're helpless as you're having QC issues with a product that's been out of production for half a decade.

Cloth used in PFs and 1:6 scale sideshow figures degrades just as fast or faster than rubber or metal and is probably harder to maintain and clean.....:rotfl You can see metal artifacts still being dug up from the ground where the cloth around it has degraded and rubber is more resiliant than cloth which rots faster. Don't see them having any worse QC issues than that of 1:6 figures with cloth on them since both rubber and metal is better at handling wear and tear. :monkey1

You're comparing itty bitty Wolverine claws to a suggested completely metal Iron Man. :monkey1

Cloth used in PFs and 1:6 scale sideshow figures degrades just as fast or faster than rubber or metal and is probably harder to maintain and clean.....:rotfl

Cloth can withstand dust. Rubber cannot.

You can see metal artifacts still being dug up from the ground where the cloth around it has degraded and rubber is more resiliant than cloth which rots faster.

After thousands of years, yes. And no, rubber is not more resilient to dust.

Don't see them having any worse QC issues than that of 1:6 figures with cloth on them since both rubber and metal is better at handling wear and tear. :monkey1

See first reply in this post. There are several pictures of collections in this very forum where the figures are literally saturated in dust. However, rubber bodies, suits, etc, that are left in the same condition, crack, rip apart and straight-up decompose. We could start with the most popular, the ED-209, or Rambo, or Hellboy, or Krauser or even Sarah Connor. Cloth even lasts longer than faux leather. Just look at the pleather "rubberized material" the Hasbro and Medi Vader suits are made from and how they're not standing up to the cloth wardrobes. So again, the evidence contained in this very forum, goes against your "claim."

You're comparing itty bitty Wolverine claws to a suggested completely metal Iron Man. :monkey1

Cloth can withstand dust. Rubber cannot.

After thousands of years, yes. And no, rubber is not more resilient to dust.

Cloth can't withstand water, you put any form of moisture or humidity and it will rot as well. Cloth stains more easily and can't be washed when stuck on a PF. How about metal you said metal degraded faster than cloth. And by the way everything with light up features already have metal and possibly even rubber in them. So they pretty much implemented the mixed media aside from cloth already.

And what about the Wolverine PF you have not commented on that yet. :dunno

Last edited:
Cloth can't withstand water, you put any form of moisture or humidity and it will rot as well. Cloth stains more easily and can't be washed when stuck on a PF. How about metal you said metal degraded faster than cloth. And by the way everything with light up features already have metal and possibly even rubber in them. So they pretty much implemented the mixed media aside from cloth already.

And what about the Wolverine PF you have not commented on that yet. :dunno

Okay, so we've established that you don't read very well. Either that or your short-term memory is fried. The Wolverine PF was addressed in the very first sentence of my last post...cough... and you even quoted it. Also, I never said metal degraded quicker than cloth. I stated that it has a higher corrosion rate in environments where there's a higher salt content in the air. Having lived less than 3 blocks from the beach, I can assure you that even stainless steel corrodes. The thing you clearly keep ignoring which I've been reiterating from the very first post is DUST. Adding dust to rubber causes the rubber to degrade. Or are you blatantly ignoring the many threads in this very forum which back that fact up 100%? And last time I checked, it doesn't rain in people's homes, let alone inside bookshelves and detolfs. So your comparison of cloth getting wet is irrelevant.

Back