What's the deal with "The Dead"?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maglor

Super Freak
Reaction score
WTF is this thing?

e23742bc3c5164349dd52aaf2919a311.jpg

Kthanksby.

Last edited:
Re: WTF is this thing?

Gonna ask a new question. One that I've had for years now:

What is the source material for Sideshow's "The Dead" line?

Is it just made up, like some random "zombies are neat" kind of thing?

So no source material, no story, just random figures pulled out of thin air?

Kind of.

They created teaser vids that were all connected creating the outbreak.

Those vids made the most exciting times to be a SS fan. Not like the teases they do now.

So no source material, no story, just random figures pulled out of thin air?

They are thematically connected.

I don't think this line is directly related to The Dead. It's similar, on account of the morbid subject matter, but not exclusive to zombies. In fact, I don't think zombies figure into it at all. I believe the templar PF was the last real entry from the original line. Starting with Death's General (or maybe Jack the Ripper; not sure who came first), the new line is titled Court of the Dead.

The source material is Sideshow's imagination. The theme is death personified.

I'd be collecting this line if I were rich, for sure. Their sense of horror puts Hollywood to shame.

I can't wait to see what else they have in store, especially if they keep to the literary/historical guideposts.

I may get this because of it's relevance to Poe's Masque of the Red Death.

Although I wont be getting it, it definitely appeals to me because of the Poe connection. I love that story, and the character is badass. Putting that visual into the reading is diabolically awesome.

Can you imagine a film based on this design? Insane! I'm hoping they continue with the literary/historical figure based Dead pieces. I like these more than the random zombies even though those were cool too.

Yeah, I don't get the appeal of the line without some kind of connection to existing media.

Although I wont be getting it, it definitely appeals to me because of the Poe connection. I love that story, and the character is badass. Putting that visual into the reading is diabolically awesome.

Yeah, I don't get the appeal of the line without some kind of connection to existing media.

I dig horror in almost all it's forms, either from someone's outrageous imagination or some existing media. But I do agree, taking people/myths from different time periods and creating these terror inducing characters is pretty amazing, and it makes me want them even more.

Gonna repost this here [Regarding the Jack the Ripper PF]:

Actually they had more than that at one point, including fake letters done in a "From Hell"esque fashion. Guess they took it down. Too bad.

EDIT: here it is, on the Sideshow Experience website https://www.sideshowtoy.com/experie...mation-of-jack-the-ripper-inside-look-part-1/

Thanks for the link.

For the Jack the Ripper project I wanted to create a trifecta delivery; figural art in the form of a Premium Format figure, a painted piece, and further story development with a graphic account. Both would portray the idea of his transformation, symbolizing the Madness of Undeath pushing its way out from within.

Some details were decided right away. I wanted the face to open up into a vulgar mouth — an exaggeration that would play to the atrocity Jack the Ripper represents. His midsection would open up into a cavity of Cthulhu-esque tentacles, portraying a twisted physical manifestation of the madness.

So at least I'm not crazy about the Cthulhu connection.

I guess the way to look at this is like one mans conceptual artwork.

There's really nothing else out there like that. All other mass produced collectables are based on some kind of pre-existing media that others can relate to. This is more like a copy of someones original art. Similar to buying a print of Van Gogh's Starry Night.

Am I getting it yet?

[Copied from the Court of the Dead thread]

Gonna repost this here [Regarding the Jack the Ripper PF]:

Thanks for the link.

So at least I'm not crazy about the Cthulhu connection.

I guess the way to look at this is like one mans conceptual artwork.

There's really nothing else out there like that. All other mass produced collectables are based on some kind of pre-existing media that others can relate to. This is more like a copy of someones original art. Similar to buying a print of Van Gogh's Starry Night.

Am I getting it yet?

[Copied from the Court of the Dead thread]

Pretty much, I mean the guy took a few ideas that float around and made them one piece of new art. You'd be buying a something new and different that is based on a few concepts of existing horror.

Pretty neat, in my opinion.

I would love a big behind-the-scenes story like this for both the Red Death and the Queen of the Dead. They are just awesome pieces.

Back