What is a "Low Edition Number"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What does "Low Edition Number" Mean to You?

• First 5%

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • First 8%

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • First 10%

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • First 12%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First 15%

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • First 10% But Not more than 200

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • First 10% But Not more than 500

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • First 100 regardless of Edition Size

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • First 200 regardless of Edition Size

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • First 100 regardless of Edition Size

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters

spaceman

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm interested in getting some consensus on what collectors would consider a "low edition number". Is it the bottom 10-15% percent? Is it just the first 50 or 100 pieces? Is it the first 10% unless the edition size is huge, and then you cap it at 500? :confused:

I know there's no cut-and-dried single answer, and I also know many don't care about such things at all. I usually don't pay it much heed either, but if I ever catch a super low number (bottom 10 for Aragorn/Brego) I do still get excited despite myself. At the end of the day it is a variable that many collectors put some stock in, and that therefore effects trading habits to a degree. So -- I'd like to run a poll and sample various opinions on what "Low Edition Number" would or would not indicate to you.

Comments Appreciated! :cool:

Well, I'd say anything 250 or under for anything with an ES of 1k. Less than 1k I'd say the first 100-150. 1500 or more I'd say the first 500 or so.

Wow Josh, You're Fast!

Hadn't even gotten the poll options up. :lol

Definitely appreciate the response. :wave

For the Voting: It's not possible to list every imaginable scenario, so pick one you think is closest to your opinion, and then additional comments like the above are perfect to supplement.

Ooops, that last poll option should have been "First 500, regardless of Edition Size". :D

I never really followed the edition number I had on any piece, save one. My Swamp thing statue was number three. I never had much preference otherwise though, as I never thought there would be much difference between Statue X number 55 or Statue X number 555, regardless of the edition size.

I always considered any two digit number a low edition number and a single digit a very low number... of course, if the edition size is very small, say 300 or less, then a low number doesn't mean quite the same thing. For instance, on the Grey Hulk, I think most all the edition numbers would be considered low, but definitely at least the first 25 or so which is 50% of the run. On the SSE Ardeth Bey bust, all the single digits must be considered low but that is 66% of the run, and I certainly wouldn't think of numbers 10 through 15 as "high"! So the edition numbers are relative to the edition size, but I will still stick with my original thought of any two digit or smaller number as "low" which means I voted for the first 100 regardless of the edition size. :D

I chose first 10% not more than 500.

That seems a reasonable measure of low, with a cap on the higher end.
Sauron at 9,500 ES should still be capped at 500 to be considered "low"
in my opinion, so that was my benchmark on a high ES item.

I don't normally care about numbers at this point, unless I get an AP or a
low number by some chance - I don't go out of my way for them though.

#4 is a pretty low number................ :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

JS :D

Speaking of low numbers... Tom, I got another single digit! Reign of Fire bust #7!!!! And the Graboid wasn't too shabby at #18 either! :rotfl

That is great Lonnie! :monkey5
I've just received my RoF bust #6! :chew

JS :)

Does it make a difference of low edition no? Am curious whether the statues once painted, and some dude in China just randomly pick the lot and write the no down. Then the APs fit no where/ some where?!

Cool All,

Great feedback -- keep it coming! :cool:

The motivation for the question is that I've started flagging auctions with special conditions such as AP, Autograph, Free Shipping, Mint/New, Damaged and/or Low Edition in my reports at ToyTracker.

Since "Low Edition" is the most subjective, I'm definitely interested in gathering collector opinion to develop some consistent guidelines of when that flag should be applied.

Thanks to all for the input! :cool:

Personally, it doesn't matter. But since you're looking for opinions. Below 10% not more than 100.

Thanks all for the replies! :wave

It looks like as a percentage basis, 10% has a good consensus if you include those who say 10% plus a cap. There are also a fair number who voted bottom 100 pieces flat, which reinforces the idea that you don't like this label thrown around too loosely.

All considered, I think I'll go with "First 10% but not more than 200" as my "official" definition.

Thanks for the help thinking this through! :cool:

lcummins said:
Speaking of low numbers... Tom, I got another single digit! Reign of Fire bust #7!!!! And the Graboid wasn't too shabby at #18 either! :rotfl

You and your single digits...

I have a single digit of my own extended in your honor!!!

Just kidding--congratulations!!

Any time I get a number that starts with zero, I am happy. Two zeroes is even better. Double digits are rare but beloved in my collection. And one day I myself will receive a single digit Sideshow piece. And if it is Boba Fett, I will be the happiest man on the face of the planet. But forget I said that, I don't want to jinx myself...

tomandshell said:
You and your single digits...

I have a single digit of my own extended in your honor!!!

Just kidding--congratulations!!

Any time I get a number that starts with zero, I am happy. Two zeroes is even better. Double digits are rare but beloved in my collection. And one day I myself will receive a single digit Sideshow piece. And if it is Boba Fett, I will be the happiest man on the face of the planet. But forget I said that, I don't want to jinx myself...

Well, I may have spoke too soon!! The Reign bust had a broken tooth and some broken spikes and had to go back... I'm not holding my breath that I will get #7 back! :(

Back