What Are You Reading Lately ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Dragons of Autumn Twilight. And the Fables TPB as soon as I get them in the mail.

carbo-fation said:
That's a huge list! Which one of these would you recommend? And could you also mention what kind of genre these books belong to? Thanks.:)
Yeah I love to read and I burn through books like crazy, that's just last two weeks (except Karamazov because that took me two weeks by itself). Anyways The Brother Karamazov is a Russian novel, and I would recommend it if you like classic literature. Great book, a little slow to start though.

Jack DuBrul's Charon's Landing is the second book in a series, Vulcan's Forge is the first. These books are sorta like Indiana Jones as a geologist who gets sucked up into a plot from James Bond with a former KGB agent as the bad guy. Alot of improbable action with the hero going from one place to another adding to a collection of injuries that never seem to slow him down. But an entertaining read if you are looking for something fun and can totally suspend reality.

Jasper Fforde's The Fourth Bear: A Nursury Crime is also second in a series, The Big Overeasy comes first and is about the murder of one Mr. Humpty Dumpty (a womanizing philanthropist) while he was sitting on his wall. Jack Spratt and his partner Mary Mary investigate. Very funny, especially if you like nursery rhymes and such. Fforde also wrote the Thursday Next series which is a comical series featuring alot of classic literature. For instance in one the plot of Anna Kerenina is told as if two Russian phone operators are gossipping about the unfolding drama.

Eagle Strike by Anthony Horowitz is fourth in the Alex Rider series. Basically a teenage James Bond series written for middle schoolers. Not great reads, but they're fun.

Storm Front by Jim Butcher is the first Dresden Files book. I think it was a movie on Sci Fi or something because it said "as seen on Sci Fi" on the cover of the book. Anyways its a wizard P.I. who is a cosultant for the Chicago Police Department investigating a rogue wizard who murders by tearing people's hearts out. If you like magic and Harry Potter I think this is a great book. I throughly enjoyed it and can't wait to read the next one Fool Moon.

Raising Atlantis by Thomas Greanias is another improbable adventure novel that dabbles in ancient history and mythology/conspiracy theory (aliens built the pyramids). Ties into the pyramids of egypt and their function and relation to the stars as well as well the story of Atlantis. Also combines some Mayan mythology in the form of the time recycling itself. Also has some Bible references and a former nun for a main character. It was a good adventure, but I think the Jack Du Brul books were a little more entertaining. If you like ancient myths/conspiracy theory you'll prolly enjoy it.

Tomb of the Golden Bird by Elizabeth Peters is the 18th book in the Amelia Peabody series. I would start with The Curse of the Pharohs Tomb or The Mummy Case first. Excellent series though, one of my favorites by far. One of the few book series that make me literally laugh out loud. They're kinda mysteries set in Egypt around the turn of the century with archaelogy as a backdrop.

I'm always hesitant to recommend books on my own because everyone has such different taste. I've hated books others loved and loved others ahve hated. I would recommend checking them out on Amazon, read the synopsis and some of the reviews (watch out for spoilers though!) to get a better idea of if you think you will like them or not.

Just started reading my way through the star wars novels! currently on Rogue Planet at the moment.

KrisSolo said:
Dude, I'm blind, literally. If I can still manage to read (albeit a little slower than most... :)) you have no excuses... :D

Dyslexia isn't an eye thing. It's a letters equals words thing. It's in the brain. It's how information is processed. But, I appreciate the spirit. In fact, by profession I'm a writer, believe it or not. :D

JABBATHERIDGE said:
I really feel sorry for people who can't or choose not to read and I'm not saying that in a condescending way.

You should! :lol Speaking for all dyslexics everywhere, it really sucks.

I'm lucky in that I'm highly functional which means I can read and enjoy things like graphic novels and the first couple Harry Potter books and this board. But forget about number four on up. I mean I could force myself to slog through but it would be embarassingly slow and a pure misery. So instead I got the book on tape and loved the experience fully. (And then I got the Stephen Fry audio and enjoyed it even more.)

When I was younger and reading short books with easy to follow chapters on small pages next to the occational illustration, I loved it. I really loved it. But now that's gone. Unless I want to start reading Judy Blume again. :lol At least I have Brian Michael Bendis and Garth Ennis and the like.

Last edited:
Yeah comic books have really become much more engrossing and the plots are far better than they were even ten years ago.

Writers like Brian Bendis and Mark Millar and some of the movie or tv writers that are now involved are really turning out quality stuff.

I think finally comics are being recognised as something for more than just kids.

Agent0028 said:
Yeah I love to read and I burn through books like crazy, that's just last two weeks (except Karamazov because that took me two weeks by itself). Anyways The Brother Karamazov is a Russian novel, and I would recommend it if you like classic literature. Great book, a little slow to start though.

Jack DuBrul's Charon's Landing is the second book in a series, Vulcan's Forge is the first. These books are sorta like Indiana Jones as a geologist who gets sucked up into a plot from James Bond with a former KGB agent as the bad guy. Alot of improbable action with the hero going from one place to another adding to a collection of injuries that never seem to slow him down. But an entertaining read if you are looking for something fun and can totally suspend reality.

Jasper Fforde's The Fourth Bear: A Nursury Crime is also second in a series, The Big Overeasy comes first and is about the murder of one Mr. Humpty Dumpty (a womanizing philanthropist) while he was sitting on his wall. Jack Spratt and his partner Mary Mary investigate. Very funny, especially if you like nursery rhymes and such. Fforde also wrote the Thursday Next series which is a comical series featuring alot of classic literature. For instance in one the plot of Anna Kerenina is told as if two Russian phone operators are gossipping about the unfolding drama.

Eagle Strike by Anthony Horowitz is fourth in the Alex Rider series. Basically a teenage James Bond series written for middle schoolers. Not great reads, but they're fun.

Storm Front by Jim Butcher is the first Dresden Files book. I think it was a movie on Sci Fi or something because it said "as seen on Sci Fi" on the cover of the book. Anyways its a wizard P.I. who is a cosultant for the Chicago Police Department investigating a rogue wizard who murders by tearing people's hearts out. If you like magic and Harry Potter I think this is a great book. I throughly enjoyed it and can't wait to read the next one Fool Moon.

Raising Atlantis by Thomas Greanias is another improbable adventure novel that dabbles in ancient history and mythology/conspiracy theory (aliens built the pyramids). Ties into the pyramids of egypt and their function and relation to the stars as well as well the story of Atlantis. Also combines some Mayan mythology in the form of the time recycling itself. Also has some Bible references and a former nun for a main character. It was a good adventure, but I think the Jack Du Brul books were a little more entertaining. If you like ancient myths/conspiracy theory you'll prolly enjoy it.

Tomb of the Golden Bird by Elizabeth Peters is the 18th book in the Amelia Peabody series. I would start with The Curse of the Pharohs Tomb or The Mummy Case first. Excellent series though, one of my favorites by far. One of the few book series that make me literally laugh out loud. They're kinda mysteries set in Egypt around the turn of the century with archaelogy as a backdrop.

I'm always hesitant to recommend books on my own because everyone has such different taste. I've hated books others loved and loved others ahve hated. I would recommend checking them out on Amazon, read the synopsis and some of the reviews (watch out for spoilers though!) to get a better idea of if you think you will like them or not.
Thanks a lot for the reviews. I'll check some of them out over the break!:)

I've been thinking of getting into the Dresden books, the series on SciFi isn't too bad and it's an interesting concept.

My older brother was dyslexic and, funnily enough, also was a writer. Wrote a bunch of plays and although his spelling wasn't so hot - the writing wasn't bad.

Back