"What an incredible new smell you've discovered..."

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSD

Super Freak
Reaction score
So my Medicom Darth Vader arrived today, bought from eBay. Seller described as being "As new" and that it had been displayed in a glass cabinet for two years.

And it's in great condition. Except that it absolutely REEKS of fried food, smoke, and a hint of musty, damp garage.

Apart from ripping into the seller, is there anything I can do to deodorize him? Any well known techniques amongst collectors?

Eeeew! :(

I have heard putting something that smells in a Zip-Lock bag with baking soda helps to get rid of smells.

I also found out about a product that helped get rid of the smell of smoke on a Mike Myers mask. It's called atmosklear

Time is the healer of all wounds... The incredible smell you've discovered will go away in time.
I'm just a bit paranoid using solutions on my pieces.

It's amazing how pungeant cigarette smoke is. It actually does get into everything.
Thankfully, they've compelled most UPS and FedEx drivers not to smoke in the trucks. It could be worse.

Cheers for the suggestions guys.

Apart from anything else, I feel cheated out of that "new toy smell" I so enjoy.

Be thankful it wasn't displayed in the bathroom.
Given how the seller apparently eats, it could have been worse.

:D

Do you think I should say something to him? It's kind of embarrassing...

I thought I heard somewhere that putting some charcoal next to a stinky item will suck the stink off of it. maby put a bowl of broken charcoal next to him..

sounds crazy, I'm not sure but it just popped into my head when I saw this thread

Cool, I'll leave him be then.

Even the spare hands stink. What on earth was this guy doing in his house?

Honestly, unless you got a really good deal, dispute it and send it back. Dont accept someone else's garbage. Money is too hard to come by these days to just sit back and put up with this kind of mess..

I did get a pretty good deal, but more importantly these rarely come up in the UK. It's irritating, but I'm sure the smell will go.

Do you think I should say something to him? It's kind of embarrassing...

Hell yes I would say something to him. You as a buyer should be protected and you got something which is not what the seller said it was. I would definitely say something, maybe you can get a a percentage of you money back.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Leave it out in your display room, and all previous smells will go away- then it will take on your odors :lol

Seriously - I used to get upset when this would happen, but now it doesn't bother me because experience has taught me that it will go away with time.

it should fade over time but it is disgusting though. i'd much rather be hit in the face with that new paint smell. i find when i buy 1/6 clothes and parts on ebay from hong hong sellers, that they smell like smoke a lot. they must like their cigarettes over there in the east.

Back