Statue Weta Workshop Smaug the Terrible Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The initial concept that didn't make it. How awesome would that be.............

Smaug concept.jpg

and the wings would have been harder to ship without lots of breakages. In the design blog they released it seems like that was a major concern and deciding factor in the ultimate design they went with.

I would have jumped on that concept art, but I see why they trashed it, it would have been a shipping nightmare.

And it would also have made the statue like 55-60 cm high. Adding that to the already substantial footprint = behemoth piece.

At these price points, I'm all in for behemot pieces. To be fair, all my pieces are/are going to have quite the size... Fury of the Beast, Rage of the Undying, new Balrog, Big Chap Maquette, XM Magneto, PCS 1:3 Scorpion. I prefer to have fewer, more iconic and bigger pieces, than lots and lots of smaller/redundant pieces, but that's just my take on the hobby.

At these price points, I'm all in for behemot pieces. To be fair, all my pieces are/are going to have quite the size... Fury of the Beast, Rage of the Undying, new Balrog, Big Chap Maquette, XM Magneto, PCS 1:3 Scorpion. I prefer to have fewer, more iconic and bigger pieces, than lots and lots of smaller/redundant pieces, but that's just my take on the hobby.

I get where you are coming from. But that concept in statue form would be more expensive, bordering on 1K perhaps.
With dimensions of 30 x 52 x 45 cm (11.8" x 20.5" x 17.7") Smaug is already a huge piece. Just imagine him being 60 x 52 x 45 (23.7" x 20.5" x 17.7"), that would be overkill IMO.

I applaud Weta for not making him too big/expensive and therefore more available to collectors.

That concept is bad ass! :rock I definitely would have preferred that over what was made but I understand why it wasn't.

That would've been an amazing statue. Like HOLY ****-amoli

Sent from the Cockpit of the Millenium Falcon

Now I am a little sad because the concept didn't make it. I really hope that structural strength was the reason to sack it since it is the only reason I would forgive.

They usually have their reasons. It may have been too complex to sculpt or to ship safely, or the pillar may have added weight and made it more expensive.

Back