Statue Weta Workshop Smaug the Terrible Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...If you research, youll find a ton of different answers. Nothing definitive...

Nah, I don't care enough to do more research. I was too lazy to find the original thread discussing it :lol Also, since I only collect Sideshow and Weta stuff and according to them AP's are part of a regular production run (or at least they used to be) I don't typically want to spend the extra cost associated with buying AP's.

...Like I said, I think there will be low QC problems for this piece,with the way they packaged it. Only the black base plate is touching the styrofoam and Smaug screwed in securely...

If the AP you picked up is indeed not part of a regular production run, is it possible it's also packaged differently and more securely? I hope for everyone's sake the normal ones are packed as securely as yours was.

So one piece eh? I recall hearing it would be in four pieces, but that is obviously incorrect info. I like the fact it's all one big piece. :)

Thats what I heard too...get packing job by wetta then to get these safe to us...I hope :)

If the AP you picked up is indeed not part of a regular production run, is it possible it's also packaged differently and more securely? I hope for everyone's sake the normal ones are packed as securely as yours was.

I doubt they would package any differently. It makes sense for them to have the statue screwed securely to the bottom of the styrofoam and into a peg board. I dont think they can do it any other way. I actually thought it was a great idea. Its tightly fit. That baby will not move.

I doubt they would package any differently. It makes sense for them to have the statue screwed securely to the bottom of the styrofoam and into a peg board. I dont think they can do it any other way. I actually thought it was a great idea. Its tightly fit. That baby will not move.

Funny enough, it's not a new idea either, not even for Weta or for Smaug.

The Smaug FB from a few years ago had three bolts that hold the statue onto the base (yes, you can actually take the statue off and bolt it on to another base), and then for shipping, three bolt extenders are added to those, which then are bolted down onto a solid large back plate between the statue and the styrofoam.

As such, even tho the rest of the statue still had a mass of extra padding and all that, none of it held the statue in place and given the weight and size, it wouldn't have worked anyway. Even so, given the size and weight of it, it was still a huge job to unpack and try to carefully unscrew the bolts from underneath without letting it all tip over.

It's possible that the new Smaug is even bigger.

Here's a size comparison pic. I think he looks best above eye level where the black base plate isnt showing and you just see Smaug on top of the gold mound. I just have one complaint, and that I think they shouldve lowered his head just a tiny bit more, leveled between the top of his chest and neck height area. But all in all, Im in love with the piece. Its a gem. :love

10455571_673572502751816_7997783054100104481_n.jpg

10262094_673729476069452_1701464174300515218_n.jpg

Very nice :elf:galadriel:legolas:gandalf:aragorn:eowyn
Is this the only piece you own of the Hobbit or Lord of the ring?
It looks lonely ;)

Hmm I figured it would have been bigger.
It seems more or less as big as the Diablo Overthrown diorama

Very nice :elf:galadriel:legolas:gandalf:aragorn:eowyn
Is this the only piece you own of the Hobbit or Lord of the ring?
It looks lonely ;)

I sold mostly all of my LOTR save for SS Sauron pf. Im thinking about getting a few more Sideshow/Weta LOTR pieces though.

Hmm I figured it would have been bigger.
It seems more or less as big as the Diablo Overthrown diorama

How big would you want it to be? Any bigger and most people wouldnt be able to display it. This is bigger than that overthrown piece. Without wing expansion, from head to tail of Smaug and head to feet from King Hulk, Smaug is bigger

Overthrown dimensions: 18" H (457.2mm) x 12.5" W (317.5mm) x 13" D

Smaug dimensions 11.8" x 20.5" x 17.7"

Smaug is in crawl position. If he were to be standing upright on his hind legs, with his wings fully expanded up and out, he'd be bigger than that King Hulk and Skaar statue I got on display and just as big as that Conan diorama at the bottom of the shelf. .

On the fence with this. I'm a sucker for insane details on statues. Waiting to see more in hand photos before I decide taking the plunge or not.

Like already stated, this will in the future be kind of like having a Alien queen statue by Stan Winston.

I don't know. It's the possibly (IMHO) the best dragon we've ever seen created by those that created it for the movies. It has the potential to be something special for lots of collectors as time passes. For some of us it already is.

No chance in hell...unless Jackson makes a Film on the past adventures of Smaug it ain't gonna happen... I will never question the statue being great but it'll never reach statue God status like a 1/4 Alien Queen, never

Why not make more middle earth with Glorfindel and the Balrog.
There's so much more to tell....

No chance in hell...unless Jackson makes a Film on the past adventures of Smaug it ain't gonna happen... I will never question the statue being great but it'll never reach statue God status like a 1/4 Alien Queen, never

You know what they say. Opinions are like belly buttons we all have them. So ya never know. I'd say for a fair amount of people I know they'd rather have Smaug than an Alien I know I would. So for me that Alien statue and God of nothing. IMHO of course. :lol

I received today an e-mail from Weta requesting me to update my Card payment details. It means Smaug is coming soon! Although my excitement was cut abruptly when I saw the current Aussie $ exchange rate against the US$! It's a huge AU$200 difference! :slap:horror

Back