Statue Weta Workshop Smaug the Terrible Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a pure sculpt level, Smaug seemingly lacks a lot of what Azog had to offer. He should be priced accordingly on that basis which means less or the same price, certainly not more.
As for the Balrog as a sculpt, I have long said that a solid form Balrog is against the description of Balrog's in general and the sculpts are just winged demons aka Disneys Gargoyles :dunno

On a pure sculpt level, Smaug seemingly lacks a lot of what Azog had to offer. He should be priced accordingly on that basis which means less or the same price, certainly not more.
As for the Balrog as a sculpt, I have long said that a solid form Balrog is against the description of Balrog's in general and the sculpts are just winged demons aka Disneys Gargoyles :dunno

So would you prefer Weta just burn a tire, capture the black smoke in a jar, stick it on a shelf and call it a Balrog? :)

I can only speak to what I think the photos show and what I saw at Comic-Con but I think Smaug is every bit as detailed as Azog. There is a lot of tiny little bits of detail going on and I think the pictures show that as well as I think when people have it they will see. That of course is on top of how big this piece is and the paint job that we will be getting. This IMO is every bit as good as Azog. Not to mention I expect he is going to maybe be more fragile than Azog. Depending on ES and all that I think the $700-750 is the high end of the ballpark. If he hits like $800 I'd be a little surprised just because that's as high as anything I've seen for a statue in a line of this scale.

I totally disagree about the Balrogs. Tolkien never said they did not have a solid form just that they were like what we saw in the movie covered in shadow. You can't do that with these statues so the wings become solid instead of the smokey nature we saw in FOTR.

Last edited:
I totally disagree about the Balrogs. Tolkien never said they did not have a solid form just that they were like what we saw in the movie covered in shadow. You can't do that with these statues so the wings become solid instead of the smokey nature we saw in FOTR.

I agree. The Balrogs were creatures that could be fought against and be killed with a sword. IMO the Weta and SS Balrog representations are awesome.

The Balrogs are kind of different every time they are mentioned. The Fellowship mention is different than others. Jackson's Balrog represents the Fellowship writing well.

So would you prefer Weta just burn a tire, capture the black smoke in a jar, stick it on a shelf and call it a Balrog? :)

I can only speak to what I think the photos show and what I saw at Comic-Con but I think Smaug is every bit as detailed as Azog. There is a lot of tiny little bits of detail going on and I think the pictures show that as well as I think when people have it they will see. That of course is on top of how big this piece is and the paint job that we will be getting. This IMO is every bit as good as Azog. Not to mention I expect he is going to maybe be more fragile than Azog. Depending on ES and all that I think the $700-750 is the high end of the ballpark. If he hits like $800 I'd be a little surprised just because that's as high as anything I've seen for a statue in a line of this scale.

I agree. The Balrogs were creatures that could be fought against and be killed with a sword. IMO the Weta and SS Balrog representations are awesome.

The Balrogs are kind of different every time they are mentioned. The Fellowship mention is different than others. Jackson's Balrog represents the Fellowship writing well.

For me this was always the best Balrog...from 1977..wish I still had the game

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting choice... all I can see is this in shadow with wings and a whip.

Troll-Doll-troll-dolls-1353646-302-450.jpg

:exactly: When I saw the Balrog on screen the first time, I really felt the power when he exhaled/howled and lit up like a candle. Enormously tough creatures but still able to be killed. I would even venture to guess they weren't necessarily all identical. The one in FOTR was the only one present at all in the Hobbit & LOTR, all others are long dead or as Gandalf said "There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world."

How bout that Smaug. :D

I agree. The Balrogs were creatures that could be fought against and be killed with a sword.

Well, sword, in the hands of a Wizard, with a ring of power......... not like some little Hobbit with a letter opener could just poke it and now your dead :lol

Sorry, had to throw this in since I saw Glaurung mentioned...while he is the most important, and Smaug awesome...there was one greater than both!

Ancalagon the Black
Ancalagon: (Sindarin: rushing jaws from anc 'jaw', alag 'impetuous'[2])

Morgoth bred Ancalagon during the First Age to be the greatest and mightiest of all dragons, and the first of the winged ‘fire-drakes’. He arose from the inferno pits of Angband like a storm of wind and fire as a last defence of the realm of Dor Daedeloth. Near the end of the War of Wrath that pitted Morgoth’s hosts against the Host of the Valar, Morgoth sent Ancalagon leading a fleet of winged dragons from the fortress of Angband to destroy the Dark Lord’s enemies. So powerful was the assault of the dragon flight that the Host of the Valar was driven back from the gates of Angband onto the ashy plain of Anfauglith.

From the west, Eärendil 'The Blessed' in his powerfully hallowed Elven airborne ship Vingilot, aided by Thorondor and the great Eagles, dueled with Ancalagon and the dragon fleet for an entire day. At length Eärendil prevailed, casting Ancalagon upon the triple-peaked towers of Thangorodrim and destroying both dragon and towers. With his last and mightiest defender slain, Morgoth was soon utterly defeated and made captive, ending the War of Wrath.

Ancalagon the Black is considered to have been the greatest dragon of Middle-earth, undoubtedly the largest, and is often referred to as the ‘father of the winged-drakes’. He was so large his body was able to crush the volcanic Thangorodrim, the highest peaks in Beleriand. Like all other Urulóki, Ancalagon breathed fire, which was said to be hotter than any other known flame.

Sorry, had to throw this in since I saw Glaurung mentioned...while he is the most important, and Smaug awesome...there was one greater than both!

Ancalagon the Black
Ancalagon: (Sindarin: rushing jaws from anc 'jaw', alag 'impetuous'[2])

Morgoth bred Ancalagon during the First Age to be the greatest and mightiest of all dragons, and the first of the winged ‘fire-drakes’. He arose from the inferno pits of Angband like a storm of wind and fire as a last defence of the realm of Dor Daedeloth. Near the end of the War of Wrath that pitted Morgoth’s hosts against the Host of the Valar, Morgoth sent Ancalagon leading a fleet of winged dragons from the fortress of Angband to destroy the Dark Lord’s enemies. So powerful was the assault of the dragon flight that the Host of the Valar was driven back from the gates of Angband onto the ashy plain of Anfauglith.

From the west, Eärendil 'The Blessed' in his powerfully hallowed Elven airborne ship Vingilot, aided by Thorondor and the great Eagles, dueled with Ancalagon and the dragon fleet for an entire day. At length Eärendil prevailed, casting Ancalagon upon the triple-peaked towers of Thangorodrim and destroying both dragon and towers. With his last and mightiest defender slain, Morgoth was soon utterly defeated and made captive, ending the War of Wrath.

Ancalagon the Black is considered to have been the greatest dragon of Middle-earth, undoubtedly the largest, and is often referred to as the ‘father of the winged-drakes’. He was so large his body was able to crush the volcanic Thangorodrim, the highest peaks in Beleriand. Like all other Urulóki, Ancalagon breathed fire, which was said to be hotter than any other known flame.

Nice!

Back