Statue Weta: The Hobbit - Bilbo Baggins

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the only one who thinks his face and pose is not-that-good? I would rather like to have a normal, standing Bilbo with a walking stick, pretty much like these;

Well if you read the rest of the thread you'd see you're not alone..... but that many people also love this statue and i'm sure we'll see some more Bilbo statues, so patience young one...
Also, i wouldn't say his face is bad, he does look like Martin Freeman after all.

I'd say the likeness is okay, and I'd also rather have a more rustic pose. Then again, I've got the old SSW Bilbo statue for that. All in all, I'm very happy with this new Bilbo statue.

Yeah it's not bad at all, just not there to make you say wow like Gandalf does. I know there will be more Bilbo's that's why can't decide if I should get this or not :dunno

The battle worn or adventure worn look is a great choice for Bilbo :)

Battle of the 5 Armies Dwarf Armor look for Bilbo and 13 others...IMHO will be next Bilbo by Weta...coming 10/2014...LOL

IMG_6394_zps806518e4.jpg

IMG_6400_zps50cfbdbe.jpg

IMG_6409_zps2dc1ffdb.jpg

IMG_6490_zps6beaf9ba.jpg

IMG_6501_zpsff82d84e.jpg

IMG_6511_zps00aaa88a.jpg

What if they do a statue of him riding on a barrel?..hmmm...or one with him in armor holding the Arkenstone....its funny when I think of the Arkenstone and it's description in the book I think of one of the lost Silmarils from the first age...hmmm

Last edited:
Actually, Tolkien was playing with the idea of the Arkenstone being one of the lost Silmarils but eventually decided against it.

Actually, Tolkien was playing with the idea of the Arkenstone being one of the lost Silmarils but eventually decided against it.

I thought I read that somewhere myself a few years ago...Hey if a Balrog, Dragon, Ungoliant's daughter can escape and survive from the first age so can a shiny rock...lol...

When you compare this statue line from weta with the maquette line from sideshow specialy the frodo and Sam in orcs ( also the others) there's so much more details... cloth, hair, rocks ground, dynamic pose, paint job...

I hope sideshow will release Hobbits statue pretty soon and not in 5 years. I don't say the weta ones are bad, but much better with sideshow for the price that you pay.

I feel a great deal of warmth and nostalgia seeing pictures of new statues with old. It was great following the SSW statue line all those years ago on the LOTRG forum.

I feel that same buzz now, albeit a little older...

So excited for the hobbit and spending the next three years in middle earth again.

When you compare this statue line from weta with the maquette line from sideshow specialy the frodo and Sam in orcs ( also the others) there's so much more details... cloth, hair, rocks ground, dynamic pose, paint job...

I hope sideshow will release Hobbits statue pretty soon and not in 5 years. I don't say the weta ones are bad, but much better with sideshow for the price that you pay.

In my opinion there's just as much detail in Weta's work as Sideshows. Judge when you see the items in person.
The base debate has raged on, and some people prefer the classical black base.

As for the 'dynamic' pose.... too many of Sideshows statues look like super-heroes. It's as if people on these forums can only be impressed by that sort of thing. Case in hand - Sideshows Gandalf the Grey maquette compared to Weta's GTG statue - the likeness is just as good on the new as the old, but the pose is also dramatic but not overly so.... i think weta's statue is an example of how to sculpt sweeping robes properly, and with detail, whereas the Sideshow version is really over the top and there doesn't seem to be much detail in the robes.... infact they look a bit plain and shiny.

I think if they do any other Bilbo it will either be him holding the ring, or him on a barrel, or maybe him with webbing from a spider or 5 armies battle gear(mithril coat, fancy belt with Elven helm like in the novel)......If they do not make another anybody I would still be happy just to have this one...nice review Josh

Last edited:
Back