Statue Weta - Azog the Defiler on Warg

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is called inflation!

If the Balrog was released today it would be in the $550 range!!

WRONG the Cave Troll had prices in the range of 3K!! Balrog I saw a few go for well over 4K close to the 5K range! So quit with the 1/6th is expensive stuff and NOTHING compares to them..... :cuckoo:

This guy is BIGGER then all of those, 2 feet long and 17" tall and coming in at 35lbs DAMN! NOTHING WETA has done comes close to this master piece! So no.................:lecture

Yes, that's exactly what i'm saying.... inflation. It costs more now than it did before. You were trying to make the point that it would have been expensive back in the SSW days, i was trying to say it would have cost $300, but of course, if the balrog was released today it would be more expensive. You're just confirming my line of thought.
I'm just trying to say that the price for this Azog statue feels like paying secondary market prices already. I'm not trying to argue with you, so please stop the 'cuckoo' nonsense and trying to provoke an argument.
So no....... what?

Edition Size of 300, Weta only have a few left in stock in NZ and trust me, the shipping is a killer if you don't live next door. Cheap then Azog tho, but I guess since it's not directly film related and not colour, most people seem to have decided to wait for a film Smaug.

Which is a little funny really, given that Azog is somewhat 'made-up' in relation to being in the Hobbit, yet people still want it. While this Smaug, not being the actual film Smaug, most gave it a miss.

I have never understood the apathy toward this line, and it was released when there was much less on the market it seems.

The FB Smaug and Eowyn and Morgul Lord are phenomenally beautiful pieces, rare at 300 ES and kind of expensive at $499. But it is a shame that their sales were less than stellar. I have no doubts that Smaug will be a complete sell out soon, but it sure took forever. I always liked the look of the Wood bases vs the black marble

Yes, that's exactly what i'm saying.... inflation. It costs more now than it did before. You were trying to make the point that it would have been expensive back in the SSW days, i was trying to say it would have cost $300, but of course, if the balrog was released today it would be more expensive. You're just confirming my line of thought.
I'm just trying to say that the price for this Azog statue feels like paying secondary market prices already. I'm not trying to argue with you, so please stop the 'cuckoo' nonsense and trying to provoke an argument.
So no....... what?

WRONG again, BUZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :cuckoo:

NOTHING in the day was close to this monster, little over 17" AND at 2 feet long, 35+lbs, even back in the day this would NOT have been priced at $300 :slap even you can see that :gah: $700 for Azog and for BD, yes bigger and better but expensive, open up your EYES as you are Frodo Eyes :horror ;)

Last edited:
The Smaug, Eowyn etc are one artists interpretation of the characters/ creatures from the book. If you don't go with that particular artists interpretation then it is always going to be a hard sell :dunno
The films help support a combined visualisation of a creature/ character with lots of input from different people leading to a PJ stamp of approval, this I believe leads to a more desirable representation of a character/ creature collectible :lecture

Azog is a major player in the lore of Middle Earth and fully deserves his place in the spotlight, far more than his upstart son, the soon to be seen Bolg :horror and waaay more than the truly made up Lurtz :wink1:

...I don't think they would..... the balrog and the cave troll were considered as grail items that few could afford on the secondary market..... and how much were they going for? $700?

As for the frenzy.... maybe not yet. It wasn't until the second movie was out on extended dvd that awareness and interest in the line started to rise. And by the 3rd film we got to the insane edition sizes.
Let's not forget the recent past so quickly!

Since you quoted me in your response I'm not sure I understand your point. All I'm saying is that back in the frenzy days of LOTR collecting this would have sold out very quickly. Not because everyone could afford it or would keep the order, but everyone would have ordered two only because there was no up front cost to do so. If a quick flip wasn't profitable, many of the orders would have been cancelled prior to shipment. That frenzy doesn't exist anymore and in my opinion won't after the second nor third films for various reasons. Sure there are still probably some flippers buying up this piece (and others) because there is no up front cost, but I think now more of the orders are from collectors genuinely interested in the statue. So although I'm pretty sure that like I said back in the frenzied days of LOTR collecting this would have crashed the Sideshow servers for the reasons I mentioned, in this day and age, I think this still sold out pretty quickly.

The Smaug, Eowyn etc are one artists interpretation of the characters/ creatures from the book. If you don't go with that particular artists interpretation then it is always going to be a hard sell :dunno
The films help support a combined visualisation of a creature/ character with lots of input from different people leading to a PJ stamp of approval, this I believe leads to a more desirable representation of a character/ creature collectible :lecture

Azog is a major player in the lore of Middle Earth and fully deserves his place in the spotlight, far more than his upstart son, the soon to be seen Bolg :horror and waaay more than the truly made up Lurtz :wink1:

:goodpost: :lecture :hi5:

But oh man that was a awesome made up bada$$

Sometimes I think he argues just to argue....???

I can't wait to have Azog he's one of the best 1:6 statues I've ever seen. He's in the upper half for sure. I do hope we see Bolg enough so that Weta can do a statue of him based off the design we've seen because that would be slick. I'd also like to see Weta tackle a Lurtz statue in their line of 1:6 LOTR. I have the SSW Bust but I would like to have a statue of him.

hobbitazogilrg3.jpg

hobbitazogjlrg2.jpg

hobbitazogblrg2.jpg

We need to keep our eye's on the prize!:ted

I normally collect ¼ scale pf’s but this Azog is to cool to pass on. Now I just need to figure out should I try and go for a Sauron PF or the Predator 2 Maquette?? I wish I could get them all but I don’t see how I can swing all three.:violin

This piece is definitely a game changer for me. There were items previewed at SDCC that I was really interested in, but with the price on this and potential furniture releases from Weta I'm holding off. If this is everything I want it to be once in hand, it'll really sway my collecting.

This piece is definitely a game changer for me. There were items previewed at SDCC that I was really interested in, but with the price on this and potential furniture releases from Weta I'm holding off. If this is everything I want it to be once in hand, it'll really sway my collecting.

Yea, this one should be pretty sick and it’s nice it’s such a low ES! I wish we could get more picks of it. There really aren't all that many out there that I've found. I would like to see some close up of his kilt and see if you can make out the faces in it.:ghost

NOTHING in the day was close to this monster, little over 17" AND at 2 feet long, 35+lbs, even back in the day this would NOT have been priced at $300 :slap even you can see that :gah: $700 for Azog and for BD, yes bigger and better but expensive, open up your EYES as you are Frodo Eyes :horror ;)

While I've not seen Azog in person, I have seen the old Weta Sauron statue in person from back in the day. From memory that was hardly small. It would have been almost 2 feet tall and while maybe not 17" wide, it was still pretty darn wide all round. At the time I'm fairly sure it was the biggest statue they had made and even by todays 1/6 standards, it's still pretty huge.

What was it's retail price at the time, $300?

If that Sauron was made today and had an ES of 1000 Weta would charge $699

Imagine what the Cave Troll or Balrog would be priced at today.

I can only assume that Weta along with SSC is only going to produce better examples of their product. Trying out new things and doing it better than 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... years ago. Price will only go up but hopefully not to much.

I figure the Balrog and Cave Troll would both be in the $500 range today. I really hope Weta will go back at somepoint and do another large Balrog. I will buy it no matter the cost.

The original Balrog is a great piece, but by the time I was looking at Weta the price on that was just getting higher and higher. I considered the smaller one a numbers of times but just didn't get it. Hopefully if they do they'll figure a way to do it without the problem of breakage. Like I said, better than before... AND more expensive! :lol

Imagine what the Cave Troll or Balrog would be priced at today.

I can only assume that Weta along with SSC is only going to produce better examples of their product. Trying out new things and doing it better than 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... years ago. Price will only go up but hopefully not to much.

Meanwhile Sideshow recently came out with a Snow Troll the same size as the Weta Cave Troll, ES of only 500 and for only $325 .....the deal of the century and it took many months to sell out

Back