WATCHMEN Movie Discussion (SPOILERS allowed)!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, if you think about it, I don't think they f-ed up the ending at all. It's not going to be 100% the same, but the spirit of the book was still in the film. I actually liked what they changed.

If the spirit of the book was of concern, the movie would not even exist, but I digress. :lol

I still don't get all the complaining about Manhattan's ^^^^. The way people have been talking I was expecting that thing to be in every shot and him swinging it around at everybody just to let them know he had a big blue ^^^^.:lol:lol:lol

The way people have been talking, I'm expecting him to be doing helicopters every time he's on screen...

Has anyone here bought or seen these books? I want to buy one, but not sure how big the differences would be. Can anyone recommend one over the other?

Watchmen: The Art of the Film

WMArt.jpg

Watchmen: The Official Film Companion

WMCOmpanion.jpg

Saw it last night, I thought Snyder did a great job adapting the book. I was fine with the change of the ending. I thought it only added to Dr. Manhattan's character, and by deleting the squid, he got to skip all the scientists and artists abductions and with a book of this length, you have to trim where you can. I really can't think of anything to nitpick. Maybe the fact that Rorschach's hood wasn't explained in the film, though I'm sure Snyder shot it and will end up on the DVD. I'm going to reserve full judgment until the DVD comes out to see everything that was shot and just deleted to help the running time.

All in all, I give it 4 out of 5. He did the best he could given the source material, and that's not a slam on the book. Just some things work in a long comic book, but to condense it to a 3 hour movie is tricky.

Watched it today and must say I liked it, but felt a little disappointed. For me the biggest problem with those faithfull adaptations is the fact that everything seems to be happening faster on screen than it did in the book - like Rorschach's story which takes a whole chapter in the book, but only few minutes of the screentime here. Obviously, reading a book takes longer than watching a film and I'm sure everything will be fixed in the extended version just like with LotR.
The casting was spot on, everybody fitted their parts perfectly. The two standouts for me were Patrick Wilson and Jackie Earle Haley.
I also think the fighting scenes were great fun, although maybe a little over the top. But it was cool watching Malin Akerman in her sexy outfit kicking a$$, and the scene where she first puts her costume on in Night Owl's hideout and walks down the stairs is unforgettable :drool
The one thing that I didn't like was how Rorschach killed the guy who kiddnaped a little girl and fed her to the dogs. I thought the way they did it in the film took away from the character.
Also all of the little side stories, like the news stand guy, were cut, but that was to be expected, so didn't really bother me.
So genarally the film is worth seing imho and I'm sure it will be much imroved upon in the extended cut.
4 out of 5 until I see the extended cut.

By the way, today's metro had a false New Frontiersman cover. Pretty cool, don't have a scanner so just took pics with my camera:
Front
Picture090.jpg

Back
Picture091.jpg

awesome movie. even better than i was expecting.
i've been a fan of the comic for years and the different ending didn't bother me at all.
it's too bad Moore doesn't see it that way. but, that's his prerogative as a creator.
at least Gibbons and Wein have supported the movie throughout the production.

and i predict that all you adolescent pukes who dressed up as Joker for halloween last year are gonna be Rorschach this year.
way to teen-angst.

and i predict that all you adolescent pukes who dressed up as Joker for halloween last year are gonna be Rorschach this year.
way to teen-angst.

:rotfl I said the same exact thing. Just another classic character waiting to be raped by bandwagoners wanting to play dress up for parties and Halloween.

Has anyone here bought or seen these books? I want to buy one, but not sure how big the differences would be. Can anyone recommend one over the other?

I got the Art book first and then the Companion, and I felt like the Companion was really just a shorter version of the art book with text. The art one was a lot more than just art, with production stills, etc. The companion had more behind the scenes style pictures. There was some crossover, but if I had to just get one, I guess it would be the art book.

I got the Art book first and then the Companion, and I felt like the Companion was really just a shorter version of the art book with text. The art one was a lot more than just art, with production stills, etc. The companion had more behind the scenes style pictures. There was some crossover, but if I had to just get one, I guess it would be the art book.
Thank you kind sir, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear, you are a gentleman and a scholar! :D Decision made and book ordered on your recommendation. :rock

Thank you kind sir, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear, you are a gentleman and a scholar! :D Decision made and book ordered on your recommendation. :rock

Yeah, I got the companion...which was really nice... I still want the art book though, only skimmed through that one so far. But they both are really nice. :rock

:rotfl I said the same exact thing. Just another classic character waiting to be raped by bandwagoners wanting to play dress up for parties and Halloween.

Meh. The Joker is a fun character to be for a night. It was a good last halloween, and was worth it. So suck it Trebek! :lol

And no, I have no intention of going as Ror for Halloween.

Most of the nit-picks people are having with certain scenes, back-story and pacing should be fixed with the extended edition, so I'm not going to fully judge until I've seen that.

That's just a cop out, in my opinion. This is the movie. If this isn't what they wanted to make, they would have made something different. It's Synder's job to make the theatrical cut work.

I saw the film again this morning, and it sadly doesn't hold up to repeated viewings for me. Some good moments, and most of it is very pleasant to look at, but it's just all so ... lifeless. And I don't know how you make a Watchmen movie where Dan and Laurie are wanton killers and Adrian doesn't get the same final scene he has in the book.

Back