WATCHMEN Movie Discussion (SPOILERS allowed)!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved it. so much. it felt like it was made for me, my only complaint is that the fight scenes feel too superhero- if that makes any sense.

im on such a high!

goodnight

Yeah, that review was hilariously idiotic. She talked about it like she knew absolutely NOTHING about the comic itself or anything about Watchmen at all besides what she saw in the previews.

Not that i don't think that woman has her own set of issues, but you do realize that the vast majority of people that the studio is marketing this movie to know NOTHING about the comic itself or anything at all about the Watchmen besides what they saw in the previews?

I could see this coming from a mile away - this film is destined to go down as a flop even though *we* that know the story will love it (or maybe not, depending on your attachment to the source material).

Be prepared for a lot more of these types of comments from the 'general public'... which I'm glad we are not a part of :lol

Not that i don't think that woman has her own set of issues, but you do realize that the vast majority of people that the studio is marketing this movie to know NOTHING about the comic itself or anything at all about the Watchmen besides what they saw in the previews?

I could see this coming from a mile away - this film is destined to go down as a flop even though *we* that know the story will love it (or maybe not, depending on your attachment to the source material).

Be prepared for a lot more of these types of comments from the 'general public'... which I'm glad we are not a part of :lol

You think Watchmen will flop? Hasn't the graphic novel sold millions of copies and even recently had a resurgence in sales?

I'm pretty sure it'll take the first 2 weekends, at the very least.

Say what you want about the uninitiated, but I'm sure there are a lot of people out there unaware of Watchmen mania that have less conservative preconceptions about this film, unlike that overly angry lady.

You are right Dusty... I think that is what I look forward to the most tomorrow... Seeing what my Wife thinks of the story itself. She loves superhero movies, and action epics and stuff like that... But she has no idea what she is getting herself into with this movie, besides what I have told her.

So it will be very interesting conversation on the ride home, to be sure.

I didn't have a problem with Debbie's not liking the film, it was just the way she did it. She basically put it on the same level with Epic Movie...like it was just a piece of trash that was being edgy for the sake of being edgy. It was her venomous response that got to me, and to many many others it seems. I just don't understand the logic of some people these days.

I know that myself, I avoided Watchmen for years... I didn't think I would like it, but knew I would have to check it out eventually to see what everyone was talking about. So I finally read it about 5 years ago and was stunned instantly. I only hope the general public can see past the grim and twisted nature of a few scenes to see the gleaming majesty of the underlying story.

But knowing the general public...I doubt it. :lol

I believe I still have that crown but this doesn't beat it I believe. My record is 126 Multi Quotes all from various posters in one message. :lol

As for Schlussel....maybe if she got more dong she wouldn't be obsessed with it on screen....something tells me its a ice cavern down there...I researched her though after this review and it seems that this is her schtick. Check this response to the NBA All-Star Game:

This I guess is just another thing to make her shocking.

She did though post a response to her article because I guess she was bombarded by emails:

And women like this is one of the exact reasons why Moore didn't want it made into film fodder. Why couldn't they have just left well-enough alone??? :sick

I bet it will perform similar to Hellboy II--it will open strong with most of the dedicated fans going to see it within the first two weekends, but the general public won't really get on board, and word of mouth (at the Joe Six Pack level) will be mixed.

The people (fanboys?) who absolutely love it will have already brought everyone within their circle of influence to go and see it the first weekend, but their enthusiasm won't spill over into the realm of soccer moms or retired machinists.

You think Watchmen will flop? Hasn't the graphic novel sold millions of copies and even recently had a resurgence in sales?

I'm pretty sure it'll take the first 2 weekends, at the very least.

Say what you want about the uninitiated, but I'm sure there are a lot of people out there unaware of Watchmen mania that have less conservative preconceptions about this film, unlike that overly angry lady.

Let me define 'flop' (at least, my definition :lol) - it won't make money. It will be #1 the first couple weekends, sure, but I doubt it will make a profit and most of the press will be negative. Not that there's anything wrong with that in my book - making a movie purely for the fans is great! And these days it's more about DVD and 'extra' sales than box office anyway.

Let's face it - most of those millions of copies are from thousand of the same people buying multiples - it's just not a mainstream thing... and the real question is: do we really WANT it to be?

I could be totally wrong though, look at how awesome the LOTR films did in the theaters - no one really saw that coming.

I bet it will perform similar to Hellboy II--it will open strong with most of the dedicated fans going to see it within the first two weekends, but the general public won't really get on board, and word of mouth (at the Joe Six Pack level) will be mixed.

The people (fanboys?) who absolutely love it will have already brought everyone within their circle of influence to go and see it the first weekend, but their enthusiasm won't spill over into the realm of soccer moms or retired machinists.

Or how about Joe the Plumber :lol

While I don't think it will be a blockbuster by any means, I think it will be a modest success. I know plenty of people that have never read the novel that are extremely interested in seeing the film. Let's also not forget that after the trailer premiered with The Dark Knight, the book immediately shot up to Number 2 on Amazon's best selling books, bested only by the latest Twilight novel.

I've never read the novel, but I will after I've seen the movie. I'm going tonight, and I can't wait to be honest.
Didn't whink I would be, but I am excited!

Debbie Schlussel said:
Bottom line: If you're a "Watchmen" fan, there's something sick about you. You're sick if you enjoy watching wanton rape, torture, and murder, no matter what the background for it is. I don't care if it first appeared in a warped comic book paraded with a high-brow euphemism for comic book.

I don't give a crap if it's meant to show that "the world is dark" and that "superheroes have problems and are everyday people, too," which have been among the insipid, vapid excuses I've received from empty-headed Watchmen fanatic who mindlessly repeat the phony talking points that make them feel smart.

Guess what? We know there are bad people and that people are everyday people with problems. If you don't know that, and you think a movie like this is necessary to make the point, you're even more warped and stupid than I originally diagnosed.

And maybe your sister should be fed to dogs and your mother raped and your brother should have his arms sawed off. You know, just to make the point.
But we'll be sure to depict it in a comic book first, just to make it "high-brow." And get the money of the mindless "Watchmen" fandom sheeple.

Depicting violence in a story does not necessarily promote it, nor should it be assumed that we are meant to enjoy what is being depicted. And I wonder if her complete disregard for context applies to her reading of other books as well? For some reason, her comments here reminded me of this story from the book of Judges, chapter 19:

That evening an old man from the hill country of Ephraim, who was living in Gibeah (the men of the place were Benjamites), came in from his work in the fields. When he looked and saw the traveler in the city square, the old man asked, "Where are you going? Where did you come from?"

He answered, "We are on our way from Bethlehem in Judah to a remote area in the hill country of Ephraim where I live. I have been to Bethlehem in Judah and now I am going to the house of the LORD. No one has taken me into his house. We have both straw and fodder for our donkeys and bread and wine for ourselves your servants--me, your maidservant, and the young man with us. We don't need anything."

"You are welcome at my house," the old man said. "Let me supply whatever you need. Only don't spend the night in the square." So he took him into his house and fed his donkeys. After they had washed their feet, they had something to eat and drink.

While they were enjoying themselves, some of the wicked men of the city surrounded the house. Pounding on the door, they shouted to the old man who owned the house, "Bring out the man who came to your house so we can have sex with him."

The owner of the house went outside and said to them, "No, my friends, don't be so vile. Since this man is my guest, don't do this disgraceful thing. Look, here is my virgin daughter, and his concubine. I will bring them out to you now, and you can use them and do to them whatever you wish. But to this man, don't do such a disgraceful thing."

But the men would not listen to him. So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight. When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, "Get up; let's go." But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.

When he reached home, he took a knife and cut up his concubine, limb by limb, into twelve parts and sent them into all the areas of Israel.

Back