Want to Buy My First Hot Toy Figure, But First Some ?'s...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcidPop

Freakalicious
Reaction score
I'm interested in starting a Hot Toys figure collection. At the moment the only thing I really collect are the Tonner Harry Potter dolls, which I own all of in the original scale. Considering these dolls range from $180-280 (roughly), by comparison, even though the Hot Toys figures aren't quite as large, it's a similar purchase in my book.

However, I am a little wary. I have some questions before I go ahead and preorder the Loki figure, which is #1 on my list, followed by Captain America and Thor. I'm wondering if there are any frequent issues with Hot Toys figures I should be aware of (bad joints, hands that are always loose/fall off, etc). I've heard some talk about Hot Toys figures deteriorating over time when there are rubber parts (I'm not sure if this pertains to the figures I want). Someone in another forum even said he refuses to put his figures in dynamic poses because he swears it'll "wear them out faster." Well, good grief! I don't want to buy an awesome superhero figure and just have it stand stock-straight in a glass case. I wanted to have some fun with it, put it in a cool battle pose or something...but now I'm second guessing if this is possible.

It has come to my attention that Hot Toy figures can have numerous flaws (per [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ukUdFjxBE"]this review of Captain America[/ame]), so I definitely wanted to get some opinions/advice from people before making a purchase (or two...or three). It's not like they have to be 110% PERFECT, but with that price tag, they better be pretty darn good.

Some HT figures do have flaws, but generally the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion. Buy from Sideshow and you can return them in 30 days if there is any immediately noticeable defect. Unfortunately, after that point, you're probably on your own (in the past SSC would generally help folks out after that point, but it seems they are doing less of that now). So, there is risk. HT has had serious problems with rubber, and weak knee joints, and Cap's shield has had paint flaking issues for some, Superman had misaligned S-symbols, Batman Begins Bats had a weak ankle joint that broke for many owners, etc.

the " i don't do dynamic poses bacuse it wears them out" thing is a bS sour grapes thing that started on 4chan about a year ago and has permiated into several newer members of the hobby.
IF joints on a hot toys figure start to get loose, guess what, strip the figure down, pull out the plugs and tighten the screws,

YES, ruber bodies on older figures can and do deteriorate. this is why Hot toys no longer does rubber bodies.

you should be fine on all the ones you named.

Hot Toys make good products. I think you're gonna agree they're a big step up from Tonner.

I have to say this first I love SSC and only really buy their products. One of the other company's I buy from exclusively is Hot Toys. They are a bit pricey but I have only seen quality from their products. And from what the others have said yes some HT figures have flaws but compared to how awesome the rest of the figure is they don't mean anything.

If you have the wallet for collecting mostly HT figures you cant go wrong. The biggest warning I have to say about 1/6 collecting is do research before buying because if you have limited funds you want to make sure the figure you are buying is the figure you want.

Hot Toys has cured my impotence problem. I rotate my figures from shelf to bedside table. Last night I had T2 Arnie in my peripheral vision and just as I reached climax I thought about how cool it was that they had included the black t-shirt at the last minute. Outstanding.

Now all I need is a woman.

Last edited:
Hot Toys has cured my impotence problem. I rotate my figures form shelf to bedside table. Last night I had T2 Arnie in my peripheral vision and just as I reached climax I thought about how cool it was that they had included the black t-shirt at the last minute. Outstanding.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

These things getting so pricey the thread starter sounds like he's buying a used car.

Hot Toys has cured my impotence problem. I rotate my figures from shelf to bedside table. Last night I had T2 Arnie in my peripheral vision and just as I reached climax I thought about how cool it was that they had included the black t-shirt at the last minute. Outstanding.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

IMO if you have a 1/6 passion then Hot Toys is the ultimate, especially if your a fan of movies and video games. I have statues amd props but owning a Hot Toys figure is kind of like having a piece of the film for you. You get the entire character, scupt, gadgets, guns, everything! There great!!

It all depends what your going for, they are pricey, but so is alot of other high end collectables like Sideshow and all.

Im moving more into just collecting Hot Toys. i dreamed of these kind of figures as a kid.

HT has had serious problems with rubber, and weak knee joints, and Cap's shield has had paint flaking issues for some, Superman had misaligned S-symbols, Batman Begins Bats had a weak ankle joint that broke for many owners, etc.

Yeah these factory flaws happens a few times,but it's not a common problem so with this in mind it is definitely worth the risk.

Whole Rubber bodies,which they don't make anymore because of obvious problems,looks alright,but if you play with the arms too much they will start showing signs under the armpits and elbows.Besides that,Rubber is less fun to play with than standard bodies,the thick Rubber really limits the articulation.

The amount of times you bend the joints for pose changes will cause loose joints after a while anyway.

Don't worry about flaws with these figures,it is definitely worth the risk and you won't regret it.

Ouch. Sounds like there are some Tonner haters here, eh? I dunno. They do a nice job on their HP dolls. The likenesses aren't always spot on, but to me that's moreso because they're dolls versus ultra detailed figures, and I can deal with it. They do have that vacant-eyed expression that can get creepy. But it's hard to find decent HP figures. Medicom sadly only made Harry and Snape.

For those who suggest sticking to other company's products, like Medicom, I'd love to hear why you dislike Hot Toys.

Back