vodoun's display, work in progress...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vodoun

Super Freak
Reaction score
I started working on the displays yesterday while the weather has been stellar, as they arrived a few days ago. I've been dreaming about this not long after I started collecting 2 years ago. Well not to this look exactly...

I can see this being a long work in progress and all my car conversions. :D

I've been told endlessly I'm losing the plot and getting sick of deliveries arriving. :eek: This is what's waiting to go into the units... Especially when one tries to explain about completing a line or a set for it to look complete.

Originally it was going to be all glass corner units but that had to be scrapped, as it was going to be £2k per unit. Plus I dread to think what the weight would have been for 6ft units and delivery plus getting it into the house.

Then I moved onto the idea of a all wood corner units, painted matte black with glass fronts only. That had to be somewhat scrapped... due to the all black would have been mighty overpowering in the room with so much darkness and shadows that lights would probably have to run all day... as this is a north facing room. It's dark enough as it is during the day with no sun. Rarely gets any sun unless it's a good sunset, usually rare to see, even still it's very little.

DSCF8070_.jpg
DSCF8068_.jpg

Came across some really elegant corner units. Still to mount the door on this display. This glass has been quite a challenge to work with since it's that long and quite narrow trying to unpack it carefully, lifting it out of the box that you could start to see it flexing in the middle and carry it into the house without snapping. So many stairs and corners to go around.

One will be for the figure collection and the left will be for the car collection. Still discussing and planning the huge centre piece unit for the 1/6 Batmobile thats going to be part desk/part storage and part display it being the centered in a lowly lit cavern. I'll need to see if the glassman can cut me some sliding doors for that once it's all worked out.

So much to do as well even after they are built. I have most of the wood for plinths, some small diorama's for the figures, the leatherette for other plinths, carbon fiber sticker sheets for more variety in the plinths and the two rolls of felt I need.

Though I can see when the cars/bikes start getting plinths by the time the 3rd shelf and further down there will be no light getting through. I'll no doubt have to get a pack of those Ikea LED strip lights to mount behind the wooden supports to cast more light for each shelf.

You might be thinking the lights thats in the unit as is looks really hot, right? strangely enough you can hold your hand right below it without getting burnt. Only the silver shield is hot. I wouldn't put anything directly below it anyway, just for safety's sake.

So how deep is it?

The only thing I'm little gutted at, it was advertised as having adjustable shelves. Sadly that's not the case. More BS advertising once again. :/

Dude, that´s one hell of a plan and what I´m seeing so far...you´ll do it.
*Fingers crossed* for you.
Since your doing such a special set up, would love that you look to my thread.
Just finished my living room.
Appreciate your opinion, but keep it up. Will look awesome with your tumbler in the centre.

The two Batman shelves. The mirrors really help reflect so much light for during the day. :D

The v1 futzed Harue style.

Last edited:
Back