UV & Sunlight advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthdog

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm thinking about converting an existing shelf space on built-in bookcase into a small display for a few favorite pieces. I'm planning on loading up the shelf with Hot Toys pieces and somehow affixing a custom cut piece of plexiglass over the front to reduce dust and deter people from getting their grubby hands on them.

The problem is that there are windows and a skylight in this room. The shelf does NOT get any direct sunlight but the room is bright all day.

How concerned should I be about UV deteriorating / discoloring the Hot Toys figures?

Any knowledge & experiences you've had would be greatly appreciated.

No curtains for the windows?

Is the plexiglass UV-resistant? Direct sunlight is the biggest enemy, but any light can (and often will) eventually cause damage.

No curtains for the windows?

Is the plexiglass UV-resistant? Direct sunlight is the biggest enemy, but any light can (and often will) eventually cause damage.

No curtains at all.

The plexiglass isn't bought yet so if they make a UV resistant option I will get that. Good thinking!

Do you think that would be enough though? Or is this just sounding like a bad idea?

How concerned should you be you say? VERY.

UV light and moisture are your 2 biggest enemies. People think I'm crazy that I don't allow guests to draw the curtains in my guest/office room which I display my toys.

There are protective UV film, although I can't vouch on how effective they are, maybe someone could?

You'll have to research the coating used on whatever Plexiglass you're looking at. Most films and filters I looked at say they block between 98%-99% of UV Rays. You might try looking into library and Museum Suppliers. I keep a lot of my collection in a closet, but some moron who built the house before me decided to install fluorescent light fixtures in all the closets. My solution? Well, aside from not using the light as much as possible, I was able to find a local lighting distributor who could order me UV blocking sleeves to fit over the fluorescent bulbs. There are a lot of options out there - it just takes some work.

Back