Cleaning figures after damp?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omegaglory1

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some advice. My bedroom has been suffering from humidity issues for the past few months. I have an on suite bathroom and normally keep windows open but due to construction work that went on for almost a month, I’ve had to make do with keeping my bedroom open to the hallway.

My collectibles are kept in their boxes inside a wardrobe built into the wall. I think the wardrobe acted as a humidity trap, found mould on some of my clothes and books stored there.

I’ve taken steps to dehumidify the room, removed the affected clothing and books, and currently treating the wardrobe floor for mould.

That aside, I’m planning on taking my collectibles (mostly Hot Toys) into the garden for a thorough inspection. They were stored on the highest part of the wardrobe and I had a casual look at the box exteriors. I don’t see any issues but that doesn’t mean there won’t be any. Mould can creep in quietly and being quite a thorough (and obsessive!) person, I’d like to give my figures a good cleaning.

This is my plan, any input would be greatly appreciated:

1) remove figures and accessories, strip off clothing

2) spray figures with diluted white vinegar, gently rub with a cloth, soak in warm soapy water then rinse off and air dry

3) apply same treatment to fabrics and the plastic trays but in separate containers

4) open boxes and leave outdoors for 1-2 hours, let sun and air combat mould if it’s present

5) store the figures and accessories in sandwich bags

I know a lot of people will probably say no to step 4, but on a risk/reward ratio it may be better than to have card boxes harbouring mould. I’ve been in touch with a local book conservation studio who may be willing to take a look at the boxes as well.

I'd thoroughly inspect the damage first, to see if there is any visible mould on the boxes and figures.

If there isn't, what you're proposing seems overkill to me personally

1-2 hours outside isn't going to harm them long term, although I wasn't aware the sun would help in this situation

Hope the damage isn't too bad

If there's mould or mildew you can use a clear, bleach-free spray like this:

61vd3JTKkWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I had some ACI gladiators that had persistent mildew growth on the pleather and some of the fabric. The spray cleaned them up.

Just sprayed it onto a cloth and wiped the affected areas of the figures.

However, since mould spores are always in the air waiting for the right relative humidity to enable them to grow, the long term solution is controlling the humidity itself.

I have a dehumidifer running in my main collection room, and monitor other rooms with hygrometers to see if action needs to be taken.

This is a useful calculator:

https://www.dpcalc.org/
Moving the sliders you can see at various temperatures and relative humidity levels how long it would take before mould would grow.

If there's mould or mildew you can use a clear, bleach-free spray like this:

61vd3JTKkWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I had some ACI gladiators that had persistent mildew growth on the pleather and some of the fabric. The spray cleaned them up.

Just sprayed it onto a cloth and wiped the affected areas of the figures.

However, since mould spores are always in the air waiting for the right relative humidity to enable them to grow, the long term solution is controlling the humidity itself.

I have a dehumidifer running in my main collection room, and monitor other rooms with hygrometers to see if action needs
I might give this product a try, thanks!

I’ve bought a dehumidifier but I’m considering relocating my collectibles to another part of the house. The enclosed space of the wardrobe might be the problem. I have a spare bedroom with floating shelves next to
a window, should I worry about exposure to sunlight or would that be indirect sunlight?

I'd thoroughly inspect the damage first, to see if there is any visible mould on the boxes and figures.

If there isn't, what you're proposing seems overkill to me personally

1-2 hours outside isn't going to harm them long term, although I wasn't aware the sun would help in this situation

Hope the damage isn't too bad

Thanks for the advice, I’m just worried because I know mould can be such a pain. It starts off invisible and creeps up on you, I’ve already had to quarantine a bunch of graphic novels until I can approach a book conservation studio. Fortunately, the vinegar idea is non destructive on most materials so it wouldn’t hurt to try.

The sun and air helps to kill off mould, I’m just not sure how thorough it is if the mould were to be embedded deeper into the card.

I might give this product a try, thanks!

I’ve bought a dehumidifier but I’m considering relocating my collectibles to another part of the house. The enclosed space of the wardrobe might be the problem. I have a spare bedroom with floating shelves next to
a window, should I worry about exposure to sunlight or would that be indirect sunlight?

Enclosed spaces are a bad idea, as are enclosed rooms unless you have a dehumidifier running - then it's best to close windows and doors otherwise you're trying to dehumidify the world (!)

Mould grows best in still, warm, damp conditions. Airflow can help prevent it getting a hold.

My main collection room has no windows by design, and the lighting is LED bulbs so there should be no ultraviolet damage.

I don't like exposing my figures to any sunlight, so the second main room for the collection has the curtains closed. I also put black out lining behind the curtains.

In my early days of collecting 1/6, i.e. my second childhood (not that I ever grew out of my first one lol), I didn't consider any of the risks. It was only when I began looking at the figures to sell them that I noticed how faded some of the uniforms had got, which became apparent when looking under the straps and belts on the German soldiers at the original colour.

Sunlight will also hasten damage to material such as pleather, as it will heat it up and dry it out. Funnily enough, some of the pleather from 20 odd years ago seems to have been higher quality and much more resistant to degrading. Nowadays I keep the more vulnerable figures in the main collection room with the dehumidifier, and I haven't had any problems.

Enclosed spaces are a bad idea, as are enclosed rooms unless you have a dehumidifier running - then it's best to close windows and doors otherwise you're trying to dehumidify the world (!)

Mould grows best in still, warm, damp conditions. Airflow can help prevent it getting a hold.

My main collection room has no windows by design, and the lighting is LED bulbs so there should be no ultraviolet damage.

I don't like exposing my figures to any sunlight, so the second main room for the collection has the curtains closed. I also put black out lining behind the curtains.

In my early days of collecting 1/6, i.e. my second childhood (not that I ever grew out of my first one lol), I didn't consider any of the risks. It was only when I began looking at the figures to sell them that I noticed how faded some of the uniforms had got, which became apparent when looking under the straps and belts on the German soldiers at the original colour.

Sunlight will also hasten damage to material such as pleather, as it will heat it up and dry it out. Funnily enough, some of the pleather from 20 odd years ago seems to have been higher quality and much more resistant to degrading. Nowadays I keep the more vulnerable figures in the main collection room with the dehumidifier, and I haven't had any problems.
Would the anti-mould product you recommended be safe on rubber? I have the 1989 Batman figure, haven’t got round to inspecting it yet but that one will require special attention because of that rubber suit. No bath for Batman!

Would the anti-mould product you recommended be safe on rubber? I have the 1989 Batman figure, haven’t got round to inspecting it yet but that one will require special attention because of that rubber suit. No bath for Batman!

I don't know. I've only used it on cloth and pleather.

Maybe just use soapy water on a cloth for the rubber?

You're not going to like my reply.

Never keep/store 1:6 figures where humidity issues exist . . . period.

Good luck and hopefully any damage can be mitigated.

1:6 collecting requires much prevention and being proactive. If not, then ramifications are a pain to deal with.

check each figure, box and accessories. give it a good once over with the eyes...smell it with your nose, if it doesn't smell like mold and your figures boxes and accessories don't have mold growing on them...you're good.

the only thing i'd do is #4:

4) open boxes and leave outdoors for 1-2 hours, let sun and air combat mould if it’s present

all the other stuff is excessive and unnecessary IMO. as long as they aren't mold stained and smell of mold you're good. You can sell them a year later as Mint in Box :lol which is true.

--

Knowing what I just read, I certainly wouldn't buy them. However, that's just me.
if there's no mold on the figures and they don't look or smell like mold...they're mold free, by definition. it's not like the virus that is going to have damaging effect for years and decades to come.

if mold hasn't "quietly creeped in" :lol they're good.

--

Knowing what I just read, I certainly wouldn't buy them. However, that's just me.
I buy for keeps but recently I’ve been reflecting on how much I should keep and what I should give up, not just figures but things in general.

If we ever cross paths, I’ll be sure to deny everything 😆

Vinegar is acidic. I would not want to spray that on any collectibles myself. I feel like you'll do worse damage with vinegar or chemical cleaners than the mold you're imagining might be on there. If you absolutely must, then make sure you neutralize the vinegar with a base (soap).

Mold spores are everywhere. That's an unavoidable fact of life, and something I have to remind myself of as a germophobe with OCD. But just because it was on your clothes and books doesn't mean it'll be growing on everything else, as those are just naturally two of the most mold susceptible types of items in the household.

If you want to give everything a thorough cleaning - which I fully understand - then I would recommend using physical methods like dusting and vacuuming. Then going over everything with Absorene (or similar), which is a putty that art and book restorers and preservationists use.

This will physically pull surface contaminants off without harsh chemicals. You should use it on all your books as well.

Unless you actually see mold growth, that should be enough to remove spores that may have contaminated any surfaces.

http://www.absorene.com/

As an obsessive-compulsive collector I sympathise with the OP, but also agree that if there's no visible mold I wouldn't worry. The cure could be worse than the perceived problem.

Yeah if there isnt mold I would not be spraying anything or leaving toys outside in the sunlight.

Sunlight really wreaks havoc on toys and comic books.

If you have the dessicants that nearly always come in the box then at least your boxed figures should be fine.

From my own experience I didn't have any adverse affects using the anti mould and mildew spray.

I applied it to the figures with a cloth, wiping the areas that were affected with mildew.

The idea of using vinegar, however, seems more risky since it's an acid.

Prior to using the liquid from the spray I was simply brushing it off, but it wasn't killing it. Hence it would return.

This is what could happen if the spores were still present on a figure that was put back into its box for storage. The still air inside is the beginnings of ideal conditions for growth, accompanied by an uncontrolled rise in humidity.

Desiccant packs are a temporary measure, since they're designed to absorb moisture and once full their usefulness is over unless they dry out. Inside a box they're potentially just releasing that moisture back to the figure.

Storing boxed figures requires guaranteed low humidity, because not only are the figures shielded from airflow, but you also can't immediately see what's happening to them.

Ideally, of course, figures should be on display in a controlled environment.

Last edited:
I have an obsessive streak but I’ve also been known to make decisions that turn out to be a big no no 😅

My first thought was to bleach the wardrobe floor and surrounding wall but it was getting late when I first noticed it. Good thing too, it gave me time to evaluate the situation. Bleach on wood would have made it worse. I left it until the following day, there was a layer of carpet which I soaked in vinegar spray so spores and dust would be less likely to get everywhere when I removed it. The underlying chipboard was sprayed with the same vinegar. For porous surfaces, it’s useful because it soaks and seeps in.

Asta, I’ve ordered the spray you recommended. I researched the ingredients for my own knowledge and it’s similar to those found in products like Dettol spray in a can. It’s likely to be less destructive than white vinegar, though I would have diluted it first.

I’ll leave the boxes where they are and take my time, it’s best to think it through.

Last edited:
Back