Cleaning figures after damp?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Japan and everything, I meant EVERYTHING gets a powerful, musty, unpleasant smell from the humidity and the old wooden closets.

Sometimes I do the same thing I do when a jerk ebay seller sends me something that reeks of cigarette smoke. I seal the item in a big ziploc bag with some baking powder in it, and leave it for a few days in a windowsill to get some natural sun on it. (Not recommended for white plastic figures.)

After a few days, you wipe off the excess powder, and hopefully the smell is gone.

It's not a "one size fits all" solution but it's helped me with stuff, especially musky odor or cigarette odors....just a suggestion!

Just be careful with pleather material, the last thing you want to do is to ruin it.

The OP mentioned he keeps the figures in their boxes. I would have thought this would be enough as mold spores cannot penetrate.

Also, mold generally requires food like dust, oil from fingerprints etc so if the figures are in mint condition there won't be much to feast on, correct?

The OP mentioned he keeps the figures in their boxes. I would have thought this would be enough as mold spores cannot penetrate.

Also, mold generally requires food like dust, oil from fingerprints etc so if the figures are in mint condition there won't be much to feast on, correct?

Just so long as the figures are spore free before they go into theirs boxes, which I think was why the OP was going to go lengths to make sure they were.

Mould feeds off organic material, which would include cotton.

Mildew seemed to like pleather, so it must be finding the oil in the plastic.

Sometimes I do the same thing I do when a jerk ebay seller sends me something that reeks of cigarette smoke. I seal the item in a big ziploc bag with some baking powder in it, and leave it for a few days in a windowsill to get some natural sun on it. (Not recommended for white plastic figures.)
Wow, smoke damaged figures? That sounds terrible! How many times has this happened to you and have you received a partial refund for the inconvenience?

Have bought a bunch of used HT and Sideshow figs from Ebay but never been through your situation, thankfully.

I live in Japan and everything, I meant EVERYTHING gets a powerful, musty, unpleasant smell from the humidity and the old wooden closets.

After a few days, you wipe off the excess powder, and hopefully the smell is gone.

It's not a "one size fits all" solution but it's helped me with stuff, especially musky odor or cigarette odors....just a suggestion!
I'm originally from Japan. That can definitely happen based on where you live and hold old the house is.

I'm not a huge fan of using baking powder because it can get everywhere.

I don't live over there currently. Do they sell charcoal/bamboo odor absorbent bags? Those are amazing for absorbing odors and smells with no mess to clean up. You just put a couple bags around the item, leave it for a few days, and no smell.

The weather forecast held up for today, I took my Dark Knight DX Batman and Joker outside and aired them out in the sun. They held up remarkably well considering what I had been fearing. There was an odour but not the overpowering stench of mould I was expecting. Very faint light patches on the exterior of the boxes that disappeared quickly, nothing to suggest anything else. Contents are as good as when I last left them. Those foam inserts seem to hold odours pretty well though so I left them outside for extra long. Batman and Joker are currently in bags.

I’ve only had time so far to do a cursory inspection of my other figures. My Terminator figures, from what I see, seem to have escaped the humidity. I’m uncertain if it’s because they’re on a higher shelf or the packaging had a beneficial effect.

For long term storage, I’m considering storage bags similar to this:
5CF36F14-CEFD-43EA-946F-71246F23128A.png

My plan is to customise the inside with bubble wrap and pouches for silica packets, then keep them in a cool and dry part of the house. Anyone have helpful suggestions for alternatives?

For long term storage, I’m considering storage bags similar to this:
View attachment 529171
My plan is to customise the inside with bubble wrap and pouches for silica packets, then keep them in a cool and dry part of the house. Anyone have helpful suggestions for alternatives?
I want mine stylish and branded in Luis Vuitton :cool:

Attachments

• collection.jpg
    collection.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Just took my DX07 Luke out for inspection, noticed some funny things. The card insert that goes over the foam tray has these dark marks. Outfit also has some brown patches on the inside of the boots and bleeding into the jacket/trousers. Light brown spots on the underwear too. Anyone have similar experience or could this be mould?

Attachments

• E240D27B-9478-4C11-A655-86FDF1450C5B.jpeg
    E240D27B-9478-4C11-A655-86FDF1450C5B.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 68
  • CBBA9842-8BDB-43DF-8569-CAC70C989989.jpeg
    CBBA9842-8BDB-43DF-8569-CAC70C989989.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 66
  • E53A4E1A-6AB9-4296-9B1E-1BC503DD1C25.jpeg
    E53A4E1A-6AB9-4296-9B1E-1BC503DD1C25.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 75
  • 58AF0ECE-A80D-43DF-A973-6F9882C543A8.jpeg
    58AF0ECE-A80D-43DF-A973-6F9882C543A8.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 69
  • D37B8D48-39C9-4767-96E4-6E043086F6EF.jpeg
    D37B8D48-39C9-4767-96E4-6E043086F6EF.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 72
  • C2B45614-4FDA-4EF5-8A59-7F39A0166DCF.jpeg
    C2B45614-4FDA-4EF5-8A59-7F39A0166DCF.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 96C97DAF-265D-4DBB-84E4-65A85DB379DA.jpeg
    96C97DAF-265D-4DBB-84E4-65A85DB379DA.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 67
I have to admit I was skeptical based on your descriptions but now I've seen the pics, it does look like mould unfortunately

I have to admit I was skeptical based on your descriptions but now I've seen the pics, it does look like mould unfortunately
I’m working my way through my collection one figure at a time, so far only this figure has visible mould. Sadly, my ‘89 Batman has a sticky feeling on his rubber suit, had for him 7 years so not sure if it’s the rubber finally starting to break down?

It seems like the figures in my collection stored with foam inserts are the ones that have suffered the most 😕

The amount and types of reactions by all chiming in this discussion leads to me the inevitable conclusion the majority of collectors out of deception / greed are likely NOT upfront about the actual condition details of the 1:6 figures boxed or not.

I’m working my way through my collection one figure at a time, so far only this figure has visible mould. Sadly, my ‘89 Batman has a sticky feeling on his rubber suit, had for him 7 years so not sure if it’s the rubber finally starting to break down?

It seems like the figures in my collection stored with foam inserts are the ones that have suffered the most 😕
Yeah makes sense, I've heard of rubber breaking down in the best of conditions, hopefully a lot of them are unscathed - fingers crossed

The amount and types of reactions by all chiming in this discussion leads to me the inevitable conclusion the majority of collectors out of deception / greed are likely NOT upfront about the actual condition details of the 1:6 figures boxed or not.
Personally, I would feel bad selling a mouldy figure. A figure with a dodgy limb or a box that isn’t pristine? Perhaps, but the thought of me causing someone else to suffer the same problem (and affecting their hard earned collection) bothers me

Do you guys think that mould can be treated with a solution of water with just a tiny drop of bleach?

Back