Update and Master List for custom work from DarkArtist

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the washed out pics... my workspace has horrible lighting and my cellphone pics are not optimal. I will snap some with the nicer camera tomorrow when I have some daylight.

Thanks Marc... I am very close to having it done. It was a set I wondered if I would ever get to. To finally be finishing it, it's very cool. I'm glad to be doing it at long last.

Thanks man, I'm glad to be painting again. I really doubted that I would be able to get back into it. The depression I went through was just not allowing me to pick the brushes back up. I tried often but it just felt empty.

A couple of nights ago I just got the urge to make something... And I haven't had that in so long that I just dove into a sculpt and within an hour I had turned a Harvey Dent HT sculpt into an alien from They Live. lol

So after I got done with that I just used that momentum and started painting. I'm still rediscovering techniques that I have forgotten, and still getting used to the scale again, but I am enjoying the Hell out of it. I'm just glad to be able to finally get some stuff done and wring out as much happiness for those who have ordered from me as well as myself. It's a small joy, but at this point in my life I will take it.

I'm unemployed, on food stamps and Medicaid... but at least I am happy when I paint! :lol:

Hey Josh!
Can you post any pix of the Dent into They Live alien?
And what's the story with the Puller heads? They look great but was there a project concerning them?

lol... I can do that Steve... I will post them tonight when I post the rest of my stuff. Still haven't made a mold of it yet, because I don't have the money. But it will come down the pipe.

As for the Puller heads, it was just a small project.... WWII soldiers, nothing crazy or anything. :D

Shorter night than usual, as it is my Wife's Friday... But I did get a lot of detail work done... finished Puller details and hair.. just needs final eyework. Deckard is a bit closer to being done.. Jason is finished, Myers is closer, Roy is closer also. I did a bit more on the Gladiator statues as well, as I had the paint mixed already for the others. But it dried up before I could do too much, so I just called it a night on those.

The clearer pics near the bottom were shot today before I did the hair and other details, my camera is very light sensitive. :lol

527867_4239319829498_1616218171_n.jpg

CustomUpdate1006.jpg

CustomUpdate1008.jpg

CustomUpdate1011.jpg

CustomUpdate1013.jpg

And as promised... My They Live custom head.. It's not the best in the world, but I always struggle at this scale.. Not as sharp as I would like. Still, it's great for my purposes.. I really like it despite the flaws.

251837_4210030217276_500221427_n.jpg

603405_4210066418181_977714588_n.jpg

I would have put it on a body, but I am completely out of bodies and hands... I have mined my stash dry, nothing left. My parts in general are pretty dismal, it's been a looong time since I have been able to afford anything like that.

I will snap some better shots soon, these were quickly taken right after the head was painted. I need to show the other angles.

They Live looks good man... what do you use for sculpting? I used to use super sculpey (the regular flesh tinted stuff) and it's easy to work with but I could never seem to get it smooth and the color hid flaws. Every time I was happy with a piece I'd bake it only to then be able to see all the stuff that was messed up. I tried the firm, but it was to crumbly.

However, someone recommended mixing them half and half and I've been pretty happy with the results. The mix is a bit firmer (but not too much) and its got a grey color which makes it easier to see imperfections like fingerprints, tiny gouges, etc. And using a small paintbrush with rubbing alcohol to smooth out is also helpful.

Just a thought if you keep working on sculpts.

Thanks Joe, and I have been wanting to try the firm... As you said, the thing that sucks about regular sculpey is that you can't see if you did a decent job smoothing until it is too late. It's why all my sculpts until now have been like rough drafts. :lol

I might have to try your idea though, because I want them to be as smooth as my 1:1 sculpts have been.

And thanks Steve! Maybe one day when I get this thing molded I can get one out to you.

I was really surprised by how much easier a 50/50 mix worked... it doesn't increase my talent but at least I'm not seeing finger prints, tiny holes and dings while I'm painting anymore :lol

I was really surprised by how much easier a 50/50 mix worked... it doesn't increase my talent but at least I'm not seeing finger prints, tiny holes and dings while I'm painting anymore :lol

Hey galactiboy...what do you mean 50/50? What is the other 50%? Just curious because I too work a lot with super sculpy and I agree with what you said the issues are.

Actually I think I know what you meant now. You are saying 50% regular and 50% firm?

Yep, you got it right... basically kneed the heck out of it until it is a consistent color. It ends up being a bit lighter than the firm but grey overall.

Josh, I received the Jason 8 figure today. It's been a long time coming, but now Jason finally arrived home. All I can say is thanks for going through and fulfilling this order.

Whomever is keeping updates on the list, put me down as receiving the Jason 8 figure.

Back