Universal's Wolfman Movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how many of those "psychopaths" were sophisticated, super intellects? Remember, Lecter is just as dangerous with what he can do mentally, as well as physically. He's an aristocrat who enjoys the finer things in life and being a world-class psychiatrist can afford them but just happens to eat flesh as well. Seems like you're trying to drag Lecter down to the level of a stereotypical nutjob like Richard Ramirez, David Bercowitz or more appropriately Richard Chase (the Dracula Killer) and in doing so, fail in the comparison.

I'm not trying to drag Hopkins version of Lecter down to any level whatsoever. I am merely saying according to my wife, and the psych doctors and other nurses she works with, that Hopkins portrayal of a psychopath was more on the Hollywood caricature side and less on the accurate side. And the one thing every single mental health worker will tell you is that mental illness does not discriminate based on social standing, wealth or intelligence. My wife has worked with people from every walk of life from stay at home moms to former police officers, doctors, lawyers, teachers and CEO's of successful companies.

Look, I love watching Hopkins as Lecter as much as anyone, but I take his performance with a grain of salt. If you want to believe his portrayal is accurate based on the fact he won an Oscar go ahead, I'll stick with the opinions of mental health professionals myself.

Last night HBO had a little 15 minute making of the Wolfman. It shows a lot more stuff than the trailers and it all looks fantastic! I'm sure it will come on again so just browse your HBO channels for it. Nothing really spoilerish except more footage. You still only get the basic sense of the story. But now I really can't wait to see this! :rock

Oh, and you still have to give Hopkin's Hannibal credit. His performance is so mesmerizing that he won a best actor oscar with only 16 minutes of screen time. The smallest amount of screen time for a best actor win!

Last night HBO had a little 15 minute making of the Wolfman. It shows a lot more stuff than the trailers and it all looks fantastic! I'm sure it will come on again so just browse your HBO channels for it. Nothing really spoilerish except more footage. You still only get the basic sense of the story. But now I really can't wait to see this! :rock

Oh, and you still have to give Hopkin's Hannibal credit. His performance is so mesmerizing that he won a best actor oscar with only 16 minutes of screen time. The smallest amount of screen time for a best actor win!

No doubt his performance was very memorable, not to mention disturbing. I remember wanting to go home and have a shower after seeing it for the 1st time. :google

Can't wait to see The Wolfman either! I'm just trying to keep my expectations on an even keel at the moment. I don't want to get my hopes too high only to be disappointed in the end. And I'd love to see SS do a PF from this movie.

I'm not trying to drag Hopkins version of Lecter down to any level whatsoever. I am merely saying according to my wife, and the psych doctors and other nurses she works with, that Hopkins portrayal of a psychopath was more on the Hollywood caricature side and less on the accurate side. And the one thing every single mental health worker will tell you is that mental illness does not discriminate based on social standing, wealth or intelligence. My wife has worked with people from every walk of life from stay at home moms to former police officers, doctors, lawyers, teachers and CEO's of successful companies.

Look, I love watching Hopkins as Lecter as much as anyone, but I take his performance with a grain of salt. If you want to believe his portrayal is accurate based on the fact he won an Oscar go ahead, I'll stick with the opinions of mental health professionals myself.

But if there was never a comparable psychotic detained in that facility to compare him to, your comparison and their "opinion" has no foundation. That's all I'm saying. It's the equivalent of comparing Albert Einstein to Kavya Shivashankar, the national spelling bee winner. If Steven Hawkins was bipedal and ran around eating people before being committed to their psychiatric hospital you'd have a likely comparison, but as it stands, there is none.

I'm pissed that they had the master of human to werewolf transformation in Rick Baker and they still decided to ____ing use CGI. When will studios learn CGI is not the way to go? Practical effects are still the ____!

I'm pissed that they had the master of human to werewolf transformation in Rick Baker and they still decided to ____ing use CGI. When will studios learn CGI is not the way to go? Practical effects are still the ____!

Amen, brother. What a missed opportunity. I still want to see the movie, but my heart sank when I saw the obvious CGI in the commercials.

Amen, brother. What a missed opportunity. I still want to see the movie, but my heart sank when I saw the obvious CGI in the commercials.

Although I agree, the werewolf transformations were in fact originally practical effects. The director wasn't happy with them, and they were reshot and rendered digitally after that. Just another of the numerous setbacks this poor film has endured. My hopes are still very high though. Midnight screening tickets purchased. :)

They actually explained that in Fango and from their standpoint, it made sense. They didn't want to ____ all over American Werewolf in London's transformation (which is probably THE best) and felt that the original's transformation wasn't quite efficient enough. In order to do something different than both, and show the pain and agony of the transformation process while keeping everything looking like Del Toro during the transformation, it had to be CGI.

Yeah, I was pretty up in arms about the whole CGI thing 'til I read that article too. After reading it, I'm confident this film is in good hands.

Yeah, I don't know what people expect. If they'd gone the practical route, people would be saying, "The transformation didn't even compare to [insert random werewolf movie transformation here]!" I'd say at this point, people should quit whining and see it first.

I'm looking forward to this film. Theres going to have to be parts that are cgi, thats a given- if you want it to look realistic. but from the many trailers I've seen it really does look amazing.

I'm less worried about the CGI than I am about the story. I've been reading every review snippet I can find, and some have not been kind. It sounds like they added a lot of padding to the story from the original film, and some of it doesn't work very well. It also seems that they are relying too much on jump scenes, and yes, gore.

I still want to see it, but my expectations are considerably lower than before.

I'm less worried about the CGI than I am about the story. I've been reading every review snippet I can find, and some have not been kind. It sounds like they added a lot of padding to the story from the original film, and some of it doesn't work very well. It also seems that they are relying too much on jump scenes, and yes, gore.

I still want to see it, but my expectations are considerably lower than before.

You get ahold of the Fango article yet?

Back