Underworld Selene figure review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have to wonder what people would be saying if she came in at say, $170. I think the gripes would still be there, but to what extent?

I don't know where the problem is, honestly. I think it's dead on. Paint job could be better, but that is Kate Beckinsale. I suppose we all see things differently...

I don't know about dead on, but the paint job is certainly not helping bring the likeness out....

Looks like you're going to have another Selene review to do Michael, not sure if thats a good thing for you or not.

"Regarding to the review of Selene (SA0033) recently from mwcToys, we would like to explain that this is from our 1st trial samples from our sample dept. (and actually we can say that it is from T1, off-tooled sample), and this is not from the mass production lot. Some of the details are not reflecting from the mass production.

And we are now arranging the production sample again to mwcToys for review again and we expected that we could get the review again from him in 2 weeks’ time." :dunno

I do have to wonder what people would be saying if she came in at say, $170. I think the gripes would still be there, but to what extent?

Complaints will still be there, but a cheaper price at last matches the cheaper quality, at the very least.

Looks like you're going to have another Selene review to do Michael, not sure if thats a good thing for you or not.

"Regarding to the review of Selene (SA0033) recently from mwcToys, we would like to explain that this is from our 1st trial samples from our sample dept. (and actually we can say that it is from T1, off-tooled sample), and this is not from the mass production lot. Some of the details are not reflecting from the mass production.

And we are now arranging the production sample again to mwcToys for review again and we expected that we could get the review again from him in 2 weeks’ time." :dunno

Hmmm - that's interesting. I'd be happy if they have the squished issue fixed, since that's something they can clearly correct as a production issue. This photo shows what I'm talking about the clearest - notice how the eyes themselves, the physical eyes, look tilted? It's subtle, but then subtle things are what really screw up an overall look. It's also why you get so much shadowing around the eyes, since the brow sticks out so much further and creates a deep well around the top half of the eye.

review_selene_6.jpg

Hmmm - that's interesting. I'd be happy if they have the squished issue fixed, since that's something they can clearly correct as a production issue. This photo shows what I'm talking about the clearest - notice how the eyes themselves, the physical eyes, look tilted? It's subtle, but then subtle things are what really screw up an overall look. It's also why you get so much shadowing around the eyes, since the brow sticks out so much further and creates a deep well around the top half of the eye.

View attachment 298775

Yeah I see it clearly. Did SA state anywhere to you that this was a T1 Off Tooled sample? So the squished face and the poorly positioned helmet hair are your two biggest gripes correct? The eyes are poorly painted as well.

I think the hair and the squish are correctable gripes that can make a big difference. I have never heard the term "T1 Off Tooled Sample" before.

I think the hair and the squish are correctable gripes that can make a big difference. I have never heard the term "T1 Off Tooled Sample" before.

Totally weird they would send you a figure that wasn't production ready to begin with. Well I appreciate you fighting the good fight and not letting your integrity take a hit. Some reviewers may be compelled to give a better review because they get free figures but not you. I hope your critiques help get us an improved figure.

Totally weird they would send you a figure that wasn't production ready to begin with. Well I appreciate you fighting the good fight and not letting your integrity take a hit. Some reviewers may be compelled to give a better review because they get free figures but not you. I hope your critiques help get us an improved figure.

It is respectable indeed.

Is the head hollow? If it is I wonder if you could reshape it?

And I really feel the eyes should have been the ice blue, I get the rational (as you explained in the review) but it's such an iconic look for her it seems a shame to not have that. Wonder if they're holding that out for a v2?

'T1, off-tooled sample' or 'T2 Judgement Day sample' - wouldn't solve the head size and height issue (overall scale issue relative to Viktor - or 1/6 scale standard) - and also the oversized corset problem
I'm one of the early pre-odered from timewalker toys (@ discount price by mistake), so I'll keep my order and wait for in hand experience...

I'll re-post this here for the record:

[FONT="]If nothing else comes out of this, Michael gets a big feather in his cap for his honesty.

That's what you want from a review: an honest, educated appraisal of the item in hand.[/FONT]

Hear, hear!

The course of this thread is a bit bizarre but also kind of amazing in the amount of influence Michael's reviews carry, particularly for Star Ace. He gives it a bad review, and suddenly they'll have an updated figure for him to review? Has that ever happened before? I will say that when it comes to Star Ace, I feel his reviews have more pull than others. He's one of the first toy reviewers I saw beating the drum for their product and is the reason I started collecting their work so I know if he tells us it's *****, I'm less inclined to get it.

The course of this thread is a bit bizarre but also kind of amazing in the amount of influence Michael's reviews carry, particularly for Star Ace. He gives it a bad review, and suddenly they'll have an updated figure for him to review? Has that ever happened before? I will say that when it comes to Star Ace, I feel his reviews have more pull than others. He's one of the first toy reviewers I saw beating the drum for their product and is the reason I started collecting their work so I know if he tells us it's *****, I'm less inclined to get it.

And hats off to Star Ace for not stopping to send him figures at the first sign of a negative review.

Well, looking forward to the review of the production version side by side with the T1 "off-tooled sample", it should make a very interesting review.
And if you don't want that T1 version and don't have to send it back, I'd gladly take it. It may not be perfect but I'd love to have a Salene Underworld figure. It can't be worse than the Sideshow Anna Valerious from Van Helsing and I have two of those.

Last edited:
Back