UC new line of LOTR swords

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear most of the UC stuff will be discontinued soon. And they will be making new swords for The Hobbbit. I forget which LOTR swords will stay in production. But if your thinking about getting any I'd do it now.

The UC swords are all wall-hangers with rat-tail tangs. I really would avoid those.

FYI: Tangs are the part of the blade that go thru the handle and to the pommel. The thinner the tang, the poorer the construction. A rat-tail tang is a tang that is thin, like a rat's tail, and is virtually guaranteed not to support the weight of the sword over time. If you do buy a sword like this, you can really only expect to keep it on the wall or handled very carefully.

I suppose there are those who would play around with theirs rather than just hang it on the wall.

The UC swords are all wall-hangers with rat-tail tangs. I really would avoid those.

FYI: Tangs are the part of the blade that go thru the handle and to the pommel. The thinner the tang, the poorer the construction. A rat-tail tang is a tang that is thin, like a rat's tail, and is virtually guaranteed not to support the weight of the sword over time. If you do buy a sword like this, you can really only expect to keep it on the wall or handled very carefully.

Of course their not for real sword fighting. Where you getting "real" LOTR swords?? These are made to hang. I like the UC stuff. Thinking about getting some of the newer LOTR swords.

These are designed and marketed as display pieces so not really sure of your point here! :dunno

These are designed and marketed as display pieces so not really sure of your point here! :dunno

Surprisingly, not many people know the difference.

You won't believe how many folks out there go on eBay and buy a $30 katana without knowing that every time they swing it even with the slightest force, they are endangering their neighbour's lives.

Surprisingly, not many people know the difference.

You won't believe how many folks out there go on eBay and buy a $30 katana without knowing that every time they swing it even with the slightest force, they are endangering their neighbour's lives.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by peoples ignorance...but it still shocks me! :lol

Anyone who actually buys a UC LOTR sword expecting to be able to use it like a real sword is a) a little ridiculous and b) really underestimates the true price of fully usable swords!

anyone selling a UC sword of boromir? still looking to buy that one.

I think you guys are missing the point - even wallhangers can break due to the rat-tail construction. I'm not suggesting anyone actually use these at all, they're not designed for that, but I'm suggesting that you be careful, because the wallhanger types can break even without aggressive handling. Check Youtube or sword review sites, like swordbuyersguide and you can see reviews of wallhanger blades literally falling out of the handle in people's hands.

I have over 20 years experience in the sword field and all of the swords I own can be used for real combat. I would never buy a sword, no matter how pretty or from whatever license that would be of the same construction these are.

I think you guys are missing the point - even wallhangers can break due to the rat-tail construction. I'm not suggesting anyone actually use these at all, they're not designed for that, but I'm suggesting that you be careful, because the wallhanger types can break even without aggressive handling. Check Youtube or sword review sites, like swordbuyersguide and you can see reviews of wallhanger blades literally falling out of the handle in people's hands.

I have over 20 years experience in the sword field and all of the swords I own can be used for real combat. I would never buy a sword, no matter how pretty or from whatever license that would be of the same construction these are.

so get out of this thread mr sword expert. these are for putting up on your wall, who the hell is saying that these should be used for practical uses or self defense?

you ever heard of a prop replica?:cuckoo:

so get out of this thread mr sword expert. these are for putting up on your wall, who the hell is saying that these should be used for practical uses or self defense?

:lol :lol

Have to agree with this...I have no interest in handling these swords or swinging them round my head...mainly because these are display pieces!

I just re-bought the Eowyn Sword. I sold one awhile back to a board member, always regretted selling it. I was going to sell my collection at that time, glad it was only that sword. I actually have all the Swords except "Shards" and the new stuff. Also passed on "Shards" for $400 way back. Another regretted memory. But looking forward to UC's Hobbit stuff.

Ok you got me interested, where can I get me some swords that look pretty and can be used? not that I'd do that of course :monkey3 I want the best of both worlds

Ok you got me interested, where can I get me some swords that look pretty and can be used? not that I'd do that of course :monkey3 I want the best of both worlds

WETA has a pretty cool sword up for order at the moment....

or you could click on my signature if u want to take a look..:monkey3:monkey3

Last edited:
I just re-bought the Eowyn Sword. I sold one awhile back to a board member, always regretted selling it. I was going to sell my collection at that time, glad it was only that sword. I actually have all the Swords except "Shards" and the new stuff. Also passed on "Shards" for $400 way back. Another regretted memory. But looking forward to UC's Hobbit stuff.

I was thinking the same thing. Looking forward to the swords and other prop replicas that come from the Hobbit as well.

WETA has a pretty cool sword up for order at the moment....

or you could click on my signature if u want to take a look..:monkey3:monkey3

UUmmmmm........$6300 no wonder true Swordsmiths are a rare breed.
I like it but way to rich for me, I was figuring a couple of hundred more then a prop sword :monkey3

It's hilarious, you still don't get it. I'm not only saying that these can break from swinging them around, I'm also saying that these can break just from pulling them out of the box and putting them on the wall. Seriously, these kinds of swords can break just from handling them - I've seen cheap blades fall right out the handles before. It happens.

Again, I don't recommend anyone swing these around, they're not designed for that. Just be careful because in this market alot of cheaply made swords fall to pieces and buyers have no recourse. Yes, these are prop relicas, but even prop replicas can break.

Damn, just trying to be helpful and people don't get it. A rat-tail tang is barely 1/4 or 1/8 (most commonly 1/8) of an inch supporting a blade two inches in width and three feet long - you do the math, these things can fail.

Back