Tutorial On Dyeing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it was just the first pic. Both jacket's look darker in that pic.

You dyed Bilbo's vest as well as the coat?

Bilbo's vest is the original Tpybiz vest that comes with Bilbo so no, I didn't dye that.

As for the color of the jackets thats what I can't figure out. Merry's was 5 minutes and Bilbos was 20 yet they both came out the same exact hue.

Here is Bilbo's vest which was soaked in the dye for 20 minutes:

Ah, I thought you meant jacket. Was wondering if you'd gone dye happy. :duh

In person, can you see any of the brown color or herringbone texture of the original jacket in the dyed ones?

You can definitely still see the Herringbone pattern. The brown does still show a bit but more as an accent. My camera sucks with colors so here it is much darker looking than it is with the naked eye.

IMGP23241.JPG

Got my shipping notice for Frodo and Sam, they will be here on the 24th, so I can start dying :rock

No. I just dyed it strait. It was Dark Green that I used. I only left it in for 5 minutes so maybe that was the mistake?

Here is Bilbo's jacket which was soaked in the dye for 20 minutes:

IMGP23181.JPG

My Bilbo coat turned out to be more dark brown than dark green. I actually prefer how the color of Bilbo's overcoat turned out considering I want Merry's to be distinctively forest green. I didn't remove the original color and didn't leave it in the dye bath very long either. I sped up the drying process by sticking it in the dryer for bit (like pixletwin said, this is not recommended), and then ironed the coat, which brought out the pattern in the jacket quite nicely. I might actually use a different vest for bilbo. I like the color red, but the vest itself just seems cheap when the rest of his attire is better quality. I might just have my mother-in-law tailor that extra vest I picked up and then dye it scarlet.

4955_12.JPG

Last edited:
I actually was pretty impressed with the TB vest. The only things TB got wrong IMO were:

1) Paint apps are OK (not terrible as some pics would have you think)
2) The coat shirt and pants are tailored badly and from cheap material
3) The base body is utter crap
4) Sting and scabbard are of the worst material and the sculpts are crappy.

but

1) The headsculpt is great!
2) The vest is screen accurate and looks nice
4) The back pack and accessories (the Redbook of Westmarch and bedroll) look great and are not out of place at all with Sideshow product.

I dyed Pippin's jacket and pants today and I report it a total sucess. I am very pleased with the colors and I will try to post pics sometime after Christmas. :D

I used color remover on the jacket and then bleached it (pretty much the same thing I did for Merry's jacket) and then dyed it in Rit Teal dye.

Wonderful job!!!! I'm terrified to do any dying!!

We all gotta die. Nothing you can do about it so no use stressing. :huh

While you're here, you can make some awesome custom figures and perhaps try your hand at dyeing some Hobbit jackets. ;)

The clothes look pretty good, pix. :D

Thanks. I was pretty intimidated at first as well. You just have to do jump in. These were my first attempts at dyeing and trust me, if I can get a passable result so can you.

I also tried color removal and bleach on Frodo's as well as Sam's cloaks but the color is very resilient. However I think I removed enough to get a nice Grey from Frodo's and a nice cocoa brown from Sam's.

We'll see. If you feel too intimidated you could always pay me to dye it for you. :D

They look great Marc! That is definitely Merry and Pip!

What colors did you use again? I am gonna go to walmart this weekend and get the dye I need so could you post a quick run down of all the colors and to which clothing part they will be used on. Thnx

Rit Color Remover used on both Frodo's (Merry's) Vest and Frodo's jacket (Pippin's).

Then soaked the treated materials in 2 cups bleach and 2 cups water for about 15 minutes.

Then I used Rit GOLDEN YELLOW on Merry's vest. Just keep it in the dye till it gets the color you want.

I used Rit TEAL for Pippin's jacket. Just leave it in for 20 minutes.

This time I DID NOT MACHINE DRY them this time. That was my biggest mistake on Merry's jacket.

Merry's jacket and Pippin's pants were both using Rit DARK GREEN. No bleach or color remover needed.

If you have any questions or need help feel free to PM me.

I just attempted to dye Frodo (Merry) and Sam's (Pippin) cloaks. The green of Frodo's cloak is really unresponsive to color remover, bleach, and my attempted grey dye. We'll see tomorrow before I know for sure if that worked, but its not looking good. If it doesn't thats ok. Me and the mother in law will go hunting around fabric shops for some good cloth.

Back