True Detective

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lUAyo0e.jpg

5074.gif

___

Older than that. It was full-blown Oedipus. You know: the guy who unknowingly kills his father and sleeps with his mother?

And when Frank stands over Osip who says "You're like my son."

Ray's dad's words from his dream in episode 3 were pure prophecy . . . the trees, the men, getting shot to pieces.

And the bar musician everyone rags on was the Greek chorus.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
___

That's an excellent analysis. Man, the dream in episode 3 might have been my favorite scene of the season; the atmosphere, the music, the dialogue; I thought this season was excellent. I feel like there's a lot of hindsight bias, as I seem to remember a lot of bitching about Season 1's finale either being too happy, or not ending with the crazy Gardener turning into ****ing Cthulhu, and all kinds of ****. I thought both seasons were fantastic, and it's refreshing to see an Anthology series that actually strives to be different each season. I'm curious what Season 3 will be like, if we get one.

That's an excellent analysis. Man, the dream in episode 3 might have been my favorite scene of the season; the atmosphere, the music, the dialogue; I thought this season was excellent. I feel like there's a lot of hindsight bias, as I seem to remember a lot of bitching about Season 1's finale either being too happy, or not ending with the crazy Gardener turning into ****ing Cthulhu, and all kinds of ****. I thought both seasons were fantastic, and it's refreshing to see an Anthology series that actually strives to be different each season. I'm curious what Season 3 will be like, if we get one.

Agreed.
It less sexy than season 1 but damn that was an awesome ride.
Well spotted guys, the journalist, the dream and the mexicans.
Cant wait for a full analysis of this season.

That title song, i cant stop to think now that its as if it was Bezerides toughts.
The war was lost, the treaty signed, i was not caught, tho many tried.

As painful was his death, Frank was not a nice guy and he got what he deserved.
Dont really understand why Ray accepted his fate, its bittersweet that he was the father and that he has another son...
The message not going was rough tho...
Damn gonna miss them lol

Frank's death gave us all blue balls in our hearts. :lol

That heist at the cabin was just bad ass. So many people are on the Frank bandwagon now compared to earlier in the season when they were hating on Vince.

Well earlier in the season, the audience didn't know how much of what he was was just bluster. He hadn't done much we had seen to prove that he deserved the viewers' admiration. In fact, quite the opposite with his cutesy, clever wordplay and whatnot. Then, in the last few episodes he proves that he's a somewhat honorable bad-ass.

That's why they should have waited and watched the whole season. :lol

Rust didn't become super bad ass until his uc stint in episode 4.

I think a lot of people just needed time to adjust to Vince Vaughn in that type of role. Personally, I had no problem with Vaughn or the show for that matter. As I recall, the first season (which was admittedly better) didn't start getting really interesting til the midway point, just like this one. People seem to forget that.

Edit : And Deckard beat me to it by less than a minute.

That's why they should have waited and watched the whole season. :lol

Rust didn't become super bad ass until his uc stint in episode 4.
True, but right out the gate Rust was interesting and compelling. Frank seemed kind of lame and out of place, which as Rushmore said is probably due, in part, to an adjustment period for Vaughn. But probably also due to the fact that this season was just more disjointed and less interesting across the board. Rust's development made for a really great narrative, Frank just kind of switched gears at some point and turned into this bad-ass that he wasn't before.

I disagree. I had him pegged early on as someone who was way out of his element. I don't think that was Vince adjusting to the role so much as how he played the character. It was perfectly fitting, he wasn't really a gangster type but wound up in that life. The switch as you say was him embracing that life style and realizing he had to play the hand he was dealt. This last episode supports that in showing how many people he helped along the way rather than dooming to death early on. Blake, Nails, Ray, the Waitress...

Rust was already damaged, you call it interesting but it was equally just sort of weirdly funny until we learned later what had driven him to that way of life.

For me it was just some of Frank's dialog was atrocious (also didn't like a lot of the dialog with his wife in the first 3 or 4 episodes). It sounded to me like he was being written as an old-time noir gangster and that took me out of a few scenes. Wife and I will be rewatching the series soon, so I'll see if it still bugs me or not.

I missed the first 25 minutes or so last night so I re-watched that part today. Really sucked to see the convo between Frank and his wife, knowing he bites it in the end.

Meh. In watching this season, it felt like
Spoiler Spoiler:
I'm glad some liked it but it just didnt entertain me. I couldn't connect with the characters.

Where did the blue diamonds end up?

Didn't Ray and Ani find them in Caspere's deposit box? I don't know what happened to them from there.

Meh. In watching this season, it felt like
Spoiler Spoiler:
I'm glad some liked it but it just didnt entertain me. I couldn't connect with the characters.

I think the general consensus of season 2 was it sucked. :lol

I liked it though.

Where did the blue diamonds end up?

Ani booked them into evidence and then they came up missing. They ended up with Holloway. The ones he brings to the meet are fake (plastic) but he mentions to Velcoro that had he known Velcoro would be there then they could've "talked" implying he has the real gems. Most likely Holloway and Burris split them.

For me it was just some of Frank's dialog was atrocious (also didn't like a lot of the dialog with his wife in the first 3 or 4 episodes). It sounded to me like he was being written as an old-time noir gangster and that took me out of a few scenes. Wife and I will be rewatching the series soon, so I'll see if it still bugs me or not.
Yeah, that's a big part of why Frank was annoying early on. It was also a bit of a running gag how he was shaking guys down for money every episode. Ultimately, I like Frank, but I think it's just Vaughn's charisma wearing me down more than anything else. I've been a fan of this guy since Swingers. But I don't think Frank was particularly well written.

Sorry, anyone who didn't like this season, needs to re-watch both Season 1 and now Season 2. You had one main character story in Season 1 with Rust being the big draw, Harrelson was just secondary to his brokenness, and they were both looking for redemption in some way, and hoped for it in finding the killer(s).

In Sea. 2 you have an ensemble cast of 4 broken characters, many secondary characters, and a heck of a good intertwining of their lives and how they were all set up from the start. Farrell & Vaughn put it all out there, and a lot of scenes just nailed it in every way. Kitsch & McAdams were also damn good IMO. Last night's finale was tough to watch, but I didn't think too many would be left standing, and the writing and cinematography have been pretty impressive all season. The vultures and forest scene, as well as the hideout attack, just all stellar performances. The 8 bullets Ray puts in the Russian tells how wrong he was thinking he was a father figure to him. hahaha, wrong....was what I thought as soon as he said it, the 8 bullets later proved me right lol.

The ending was bittersweet w/ Ani having Ray's kid and Franks wife along , but it was never a fairy tale, it's real life not everyone makes it out alive. I do wish someone would have plugged Frain's character Buress, I hate that guy, all the way back to TB. Tony C. and the Mexican mafios I think will get thirs soon, with the revelations to the reporter. All in all I really liked the series, and was right about Dixon being dirty blackmailer from the start & his execution style head shot. I will watch it again, just like sea. 1 and I think it will stand on it's own merits. JMO. :)

You guys read about the drama between the writer and director of season 1? I didn't know about it and didn't know anything about it but wondered why they switched to multiple directors this season. Apparently the director Velcoro and Ani interview on the movie set is supposed to be a jab at him from Nik. :lol

Back