Time Warner drops CBS and Showtime

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batty

Nexus 6
Reaction score
I only found out when I tried to turn on Showtime. :lol

Time Warner Cable went for the nuclear option: The cable provider has dropped CBS and Showtime from its lineup.

According to the networks, this marks the first time either has been fully dumped by a cable provider. The move comes as CBS (whose parent company owns Showtime) and TWC re-negotiate their carriage contract, with the top-rated broadcaster seeking more revenue for its popular programming. The networks gave TWC an option to continue airing their content while negotiations continued, yet the cable outlet elected to begin the process of pulling the plug at 5 p.m. EST on Friday, saying CBS “refused to have a productive discussion.”

The move follows weeks of negotiations and will impact millions of cable subscribers in several major TV markets, including New York, Los Angeles, Dallas and Boston.

“We deeply regret this ill-advised action, which is injurious not only to our many affected viewers, but also to Time Warner Cable itself,” CBS said in a statement. “Throughout this process, Time Warner Cable has conducted negotiations in a combative and non-productive spirit, indulging in pointless brinksmanship and distorted public positioning … What CBS seeks, and what we always have sought from the beginning, is fair compensation for the most-watched television network with the most popular content in the world. We will not accept less … We hope and believe this period of darkness will be short and that we can all get back to the business.”

“The service interruption is not only completely unnecessary, but totally punitive to our subscribers, and will impact and inconvenience millions,” added Showtime in a statement. “Unfortunately, Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks subscribers will be denied access to new episodes of the climactic eighth and final season of Dexter, and the most popular freshman series the network has ever had, Ray Donovan.” Both the dramas have new episodes on Sunday night.

Time Warner Cable issued this response: “We agreed to an extension on Tuesday morning with the expectation that we would engage in a meaningful negotiation with CBS. Since then, CBS has refused to have a productive discussion. It’s become clear that no matter how much time we give them, they’re not willing to come to reasonable terms. We thank our customers for their patience and support as we continue to fight hard to keep their prices down.”

https://insidetv.ew.com/2013/08/02/time-warner-cable-drops-cbs-and-showtime-in-historic-move/

Precisely why I switched to Direct TV when Dish Network had their contract dispute with FX a couple years ago. If it wasn't settled, then the local FOX affiliate was on the chopping block which meant no NFL games.

No NFL means "see ya" to me. Haven't had any contract issues with Direct TV since I made the switch.

I didn't think it was possible to drop a local station.

It is if you're getting that channel through your cable service. Anyone effected by the move who wants to still get CBS, just buy a digital converter and antennae and swap that out with your cable line (old school style) and you'll get all the network channels (CBS + more) whenever you wanna watch. Or set up one TV like that if you have multiples. It's inconvenient but less than not getting CBS at all.

It is if you're getting that channel through your cable service. Anyone effected by the move who wants to still get CBS, just buy a digital converter and antennae and swap that out with your cable line (old school style) and you'll get all the network channels (CBS + more) whenever you wanna watch. Or set up one TV like that if you have multiples. It's inconvenient but less than not getting CBS at all.

Aren't they switching up the way it's broadcast though? I thought they were swapping analog over to use by emergency services, so the good ol' bunny ears won't get ya TV anymore?

Precisely why I switched to Direct TV when Dish Network had their contract dispute with FX a couple years ago. If it wasn't settled, then the local FOX affiliate was on the chopping block which meant no NFL games.

No NFL means "see ya" to me. Haven't had any contract issues with Direct TV since I made the switch.

Dish Network is fighting with someone here. Not sure who though.

Edit: It's our local CBS station here. They say they have agreements with all other carriers but Dish.

Last edited:
I still have CBS but Showtime is gone. It looks like they replaced it with Starz...which isn't in HD for some stupid reason.

Aren't they switching up the way it's broadcast though? I thought they were swapping analog over to use by emergency services, so the good ol' bunny ears won't get ya TV anymore?

That's why you need the digital converter. They cost like $50 at Sears (sure you could find them cheaper online). You plug that into your TV and then plug the antennae into the converter.

Dish Network is fighting with someone here. Not sure who though.

Edit: It's our local CBS station here. They say they have agreements with all other carriers but Dish.

Dish Network has a perpetual problem with someone all the time.

The minute those clowns threatened consumers like me from receiving NFL games I said, "Bleep that" and switched. I think later on they were having a contract dispute with AMC too.

Anyway, no issues with Direct TV for 2 1/2 years. :pray:

To be fair, I do miss 3 things about Dish....

1. Better lay out of remote control.
2. Channel lineup flows better than Direct TV.
3. Four speed versions of the slow motion feature (Direct TV has one).

My faith in you is restored.:lol

CBS sucks! Does/would anyone actually miss it?

I follow 4 shows....

1. Criminal Minds
2. Person of Interest
3. The Good Wife
4. Under the Dome

Plus it has the NFL (AFC) games.

Other than that, I don't watch much broadcast, over-the-air television.

My faith in you is restored.:lol

Six--------------> NFL = :1-1:

Must just be where you are because I have Time Warner and I have CBS.

I get it too, don't have Showtime but the regular station is only select cities. Found this on there website.

The affected channels are:
•CBS Owned-and-Operated TV stations in the following cities*:
Los Angeles: KCBS and KCAL-Ind.
New York: WCBS
Dallas-Ft. Worth: KTVT-CBS and KTXA-Ind.
Boston: WBZ-CBS and WSBK-Ind. (carried in parts of NH and MA)
Chicago: WBBM-CBS (carried in parts of WI)
Denver: KCNC-CBS (carried in Gunnison and Telluride)
Detroit: WKBD-CW (carried in parts of OH)
Pittsburgh: KDKA-CBS and WPCW-CW (carried in parts of OH)
•Showtime
•The Movie Channel (TMC)
•Flix
•Smithsonian Channel

Back