Those who disliked TLJ, are you still buying toys from it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it must help that I was never too attached to the EU depiction of Han, Luke and Leia and those post-ROTJ years to begin with, as it all just felt a bit predictable and expected somehow. For me it's a whole lot more interesting to jump ahead to when they're all much older and things aren't going nearly as well for them anymore.

The idea of a down-on-his-luck Han or a disillusioned Luke just seems a lot more dramatically compelling than seeing them as a bunch of happy and respected leaders and generals and Jedi Masters leading a new Jedi Order or whatever.

My sentiments also.

I dunno, some execs like KK may, with their Force is Female shirts and other subversive crap. But for Disney at large, it's money that talks, and they believe the new fans will bring in the most money.

Mike86, I get your point, but all of this isn't explained on screen.

Wait, now it's subversive and part of some evil liberal agenda to say something innocent like "The Force is Female"?? Man, I just don't think I'll ever understand the mindset of the right wing Breitbart crowd. Or how scifi fans of all people could have a problem with things like diversity and female empowerment. :dunno

Wait, now it's subversive and part of some evil liberal agenda to say something innocent like "The Force is Female"?? Man, I just don't think I'll ever understand the mindset of the right wing Breitbart crowd. Or how scifi fans of all people could have a problem with things like diversity and female empowerment. :dunno

Why are you against the diversity of views that don't fall neatly in line with yours? I'm not even "right wing", nice try. I'm all for female empowerment in the vein of Ripley, OT Leia, and Mon Mothma... they all had credible arcs. Merry Christmas! :wave

I bought a Hasbro Black Praetorian Guard, a Lego ship, and two DK books. I won't be buying anything else.
At least I had fun building the Lego set, more then I could say about watching TLJ.

So why not make a "The Force is Male" shirt if one wants to truly be diverse? Wouldn't that be just as innocuous? :dunno

Though I think it's pretty ridiculous to attempt to assign a gender to something like the Force in the first place for the sake of pushing a narrative or making some sort of statement.

How the heck did this go from TLJ figures to SJW crap? :lol

So why not make a "The Force is Male" shirt if one wants to truly be diverse? Wouldn't that be just as innocuous? :dunno

Though I think it's pretty ridiculous to attempt to assign a gender to something like the Force in the first place for the sake of pushing a narrative or making some sort of statement.

How the heck did this go from TLJ figures to SJW crap? :lol

I was thinking the exact same thing, a force is male shirt would probably bring a lawsuit. It is just the way it is in 2017. Probably going to get worse.

Yeah because us poor guys have just had it SO hard over the years and need the same kind of empowerment other oppressed groups do. How dare someone challenge our status even a little bit. ;)

But anyway, getting back to the figures. Even though I loved the movie I can't see myself getting anything but Luke and Leia-- and mostly just for the nostalgia aspect of having those characters. I didn't care as much for Rey's "Jedi" look or Kylo's new look. And the battle with the red guards was cool as hell in the movie, but I don't really want to spend 200 bucks on them.

Yeah because us poor guys have just had it SO hard over the years and need the same kind of empowerment other oppressed groups do. How dare someone challenge our status even a little bit. ;)

But anyway, getting back to the figures. Even though I loved the movie I can't see myself getting anything but Luke and Leia-- and mostly just for the nostalgia aspect of having those characters. I didn't care as much for Rey's "Jedi" look or Kylo's new look. And the battle with the red guards was cool as hell in the movie, but I don't really want to spend $240 on them.

Where are women oppressed today, specifically? If you can point out where women are actively being oppressed simply because of their gender and for absolutely no other reason, I'd be happy to fight that fight. I don't buy into the whole "two wrongs make a right" notion and I think that mentality degenerates society as a whole as far as what our standards have come to be. That because a group may have been mistreated in the past and we've fortunately come a very long way as a society (compared to other locations) to correct that, that it's now time for another group to "get what's coming to them" and that it's their turn to suffer and that they need to be ashamed and apologize. Saying one is fighting oppression while oppressing, the message kind of gets lost.

I'm just going to be getting Luke and Rey. I liked Kylo, but I don't need two Kylos and I personally prefer his TFA look. I didn't really like the movie as a whole, but I liked those three characters.

But anyway, getting back to the figures. Even though I loved the movie I can't see myself getting anything but Luke and Leia-- and mostly just for the nostalgia aspect of having those characters. I didn't care as much for Rey's "Jedi" look or Kylo's new look. And the battle with the red guards was cool as hell in the movie, but I don't really want to spend 200 bucks on them.

If you are anti poor guys, cool, but in star wars? Just give Thelma and Louise lightsabers.

Where are women oppressed today, specifically? If you can point out where women are actively being oppressed simply because of their gender and for absolutely no other reason, I'd be happy to fight that fight. I don't buy into the whole "two wrongs make a right" notion and I think that mentality degenerates society as a whole as far as what our standards have come to be. That because a group may have been mistreated in the past and we've fortunately come a very long way as a society (compared to other locations) to correct that, that it's now time for another group to "get what's coming to them" and that it's their turn to suffer and that they need to be ashamed and apologize. Saying one is fighting oppression while oppressing, the message kind of gets lost.

I'm just going to be getting Luke and Rey. I liked Kylo, but I don't need two Kylos and I personally prefer his TFA look. I didn't really like the movie as a whole, but I liked those three characters.

Take a look at the difference in pay and opportunity, or at the polls showing how the majority of women have been sexually harassed in some way, or at how difficult some states have made it for women to make their own health decisions... You don't really have to look that hard or far.

And I'm not exactly sure how men are now being horribly "mistreated". What, because we're supposed to be more respectful and less sexist now? Or because we have to put up with a female Jedi in Star Wars or a female Doctor in Doctor Who? Lol

... because we have to put up with a female Doctor in Doctor Who? Lol

Outrageous!

When they make a female Jane Bond then perhaps more men will wake and realize what's happening.

Women = pod people

We've already lost the Wachowski brothers and Bruce Jenner. Don't be turned tranny yourself.

Take a look at the difference in pay and opportunity, or at the polls showing how the majority of women have been sexually harassed in some way, or at how difficult some states have made it for women to make their own health decisions... You don't really have to look that hard or far.

And I'm not exactly sure how men are now being horribly "mistreated". What, because we're supposed to be more respectful and less sexist now? Or because we have to put up with a female Jedi in Star Wars or a female Doctor in Doctor Who? Lol

Ok, but where specifically are women being actively denied the opportunity to do something simply based on their gender? You haven't listed anything specific, essentially just saying that it's apparently a rampant, systemic issue. I'm not sure how there's systemic oppression against women when I see women excelling at various vocations. Fighting oppression is indeed admirable, but it might be more constructive to fight that particular institution where genuine oppression is taking place instead of waging war against an entire gender as a whole and calling them all disrespectful and "sexist". As I mentioned, if you can name a particular institution where women are actively being denied the opportunity to do something based solely on their gender, I'd be more than happy to condemn that.

Yes, every time I look at my three Rey figures on the shelf I think to myself "How do I put up with those things?" I haven't seen one person on this board say they don't like the ST simply because of the fact that there is a female in a leading role. I would think if these men were truly sexist, they wouldn't have liked the OT either since Carrie Fisher was in a leading role.

So you'd be fine with an equally ridiculous "The Force is Male" shirt then as well, yes?

We've already lost the Wachowski brothers and Bruce Jenner. Don't be turned tranny yourself.

SatisfiedMealyDorado-size_restricted.gif

...you know what comes next. :lol

Ok, but where specifically are women being actively denied the opportunity to do something simply based on their gender? You haven't listed anything specific, essentially just saying that it's apparently a rampant, systemic issue. I'm not sure how there's systemic oppression against women when I see women excelling at various vocations. Fighting oppression is indeed admirable, but it might be more constructive to fight that particular institution, as opposed to waging war against the opposite gender as a whole and calling them "sexist". As I mentioned, if you can name a particular institution where women are actively denied the opportunity to do something based solely on their gender, I'd be more than happy to condemn that.

So you're fine with a "The Force is Male" shirt then, yes?

To be fair there is still boys only in the boy scouts of america....oh wait. :)

I usually buy figures based on their design. The quality of the movie or my opinion of it doesn't necessarily influence my purchases. Having said that, there aren't really any designs that really grab me from TLJ that I haven't already got from TFA. I like ragged Luke deluxe for the costume and the head sculpt which I personally like better than the TFA one, but with so MANY figures coming out it will probably loose out to something like the Death Star Trooper.

I'll probably get a few 3.75" figures from Solo. I'm very curious to see how people react to figures of Han with Alden Ehrenreich's likeness, and if they'll end up as pegwarmers or not.

I usually buy figures based on their design. The quality of the movie or my opinion of it doesn't necessarily influence my purchases. Having said that, there aren't really any designs that really grab me from TLJ that I haven't already got from TFA. I like ragged Luke deluxe for the costume and the head sculpt which I personally like better than the TFA one, but with so MANY figures coming out it will probably loose out to something like the Death Star Trooper.

Same here. I got a Kylo and Phasma before TFA came out because they looked cool. Most of the new TLJ toys are just regular people, which isn't nearly as interesting to me. There are a few gems like their new Boba from the Force Link two-pack, and the upcoming Hoth Luke, Hoth Leia, and Wampa figures.

Picture from ToyArk.
SDCC-2017-Hasbro-Star-Wars-3.75-Inch-004.jpg

Last edited:
Back