The WWE Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of hard to believe that he had the career in wrestling that he did, if you ever watch some of his shoot interviews and hear his thought process. But the WWE guys have done really odd things over the years. I've heard Cornette mention many times the obsession Kevin Dunn had with perceived "legitimacy." They paid Todd Pettengill a ridiculous salary for minimal, and subpar work, just because he was perceived as a legit radio personality. And Bret Hart has mentioned that the WBF bodybuilders were paid way more than regular wrestlers, and were given guaranteed contracts that were honored after the WBF folded, despite the fact that they didn't do much of anything.

Kind of hard to believe that he had the career in wrestling that he did, if you ever watch some of his shoot interviews and hear his thought process. But the WWE guys have done really odd things over the years. I've heard Cornette mention many times the obsession Kevin Dunn had with perceived "legitimacy." They paid Todd Pettengill a ridiculous salary for minimal, and subpar work, just because he was perceived as a legit radio personality. And Bret Hart has mentioned that the WBF bodybuilders were paid way more than regular wrestlers, and were given guaranteed contracts that were honored after the WBF folded, despite the fact that they didn't do much of anything.

Oh yeah, Russo's interviews are very telling. Kevin Nash has a similar philosophy ("wrestling is fake so who cares") but even he isn't as much of an idiot as Russo. The guy must have been really good at selling himself behind the scenes because he fooled a lot of people.

I've been listening to Cornette alot on youtube and it seems like Vince was almost ashamed of wrestling and tried so hard to make it something it wasn't. I remember seeing an interview where he said he made "movies" for a living (Hell, he even calls it "sports entertainment"). So it makes sense that he tried to venture out (WBF and XFL) and put people that didn't really respect the business like Kevin Dunn and Vince Russo in power. I think most high profile on camera personalities came up through the territories so Todd Pettingill was a big sign of them going in the wrong direction.

Cornette has a good bit on youtube where he explains why the wrestling business is dead. I think guys like Vince Russo really helped kill it.

Jeff Jarrett is going into the WWE HOF. I guess this leaves CM Punk as the only person Triple H can’t patch things up with.

Jarrett is a strange choice. He deserves it more than some inductees, and certainly had an influence on the industry that was more significant than most, but. . . Seems like they can induct a guy like Shane Douglas at this point.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Another waste of WM main event.

13151407_1061455780567357_5268570984306079234_n.jpg

Sooo, they've brought it back to Free TV here for the first time in almost 20 years, and I don't know if I'm just older now, but the 1 hr version of Smackdown I watched seemed really, really bad.. They had AJ come out (at least I've heard of him from reading pro-wrestling news over the years) and cut a promo with some tall guy I've never heard of, and then Owens and Ziggler (also names I've heard of) joined the mix. To be fair, the one hour condensed format doesn't really work when you have one really long promo, two impromptu matches involving those guys, and then a ladies match with Ric Flair's daughter and a couple of others vs the tattooed bad girl club... but still, youtubing the old Monday Wars era shows that I remember The Rock and co killed what I watched..

Anybody else just roll their eyes every time Rousey is in the ring?
Yes.

Sooo, they've brought it back to Free TV here for the first time in almost 20 years, and I don't know if I'm just older now, but the 1 hr version of Smackdown I watched seemed really, really bad.. They had AJ come out (at least I've heard of him from reading pro-wrestling news over the years) and cut a promo with some tall guy I've never heard of, and then Owens and Ziggler (also names I've heard of) joined the mix. To be fair, the one hour condensed format doesn't really work when you have one really long promo, two impromptu matches involving those guys, and then a ladies match with Ric Flair's daughter and a couple of others vs the tattooed bad girl club... but still, youtubing the old Monday Wars era shows that I remember The Rock and co killed what I watched..
True that wrestling ain't what it used to be, but I do enjoy the long, slow burn they've done sowing dissension between Daniel Bryan and Shane-O-Mac. I haven't seen yesterday's episode yet, though.

Another waste of WM main event.

13151407_1061455780567357_5268570984306079234_n.jpg
:yuck

McMahon is Cena-izing Reigns. Learn to accept him, I guess, because he ain't going away no matter how bad he is, or how much the fans want him to.

Heard Kid Rock was rumored to be the celebrity inductee for HoF, also since the WM34 theme is by him so he might be performing it live that day
:yuck :yuck :yuck

Naming the Women's battle royal after Fabulous Moolah....sometimes WWE just can't help themselves. What's next the Fritz Von Erich Father of the Year award?

I wasn't aware that Moolah had such a bad reputation, but from what I've seen the issues are that she was paid a lot of money and exploited those who came to train with her, not paying them very much and making them perform menial tasks? There are lots of guys with checkered pasts who have been inducted. Warrior was inducted, despite being an offensive, racist nutjob. They just announced Kid Rock, who has committed the most heinous act of all--creating terrible music that degrades our culture. And no-bodies like the Godfather and Koko B Ware are inducted in the Hall, demonstrating how little any of it really matters anyway.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that Fritz is a Hall of Famer. His family all got inducted together.

The money isn't a big deal, hell that's out of wrestling promoter 101. Pimping out her trainees makes her a special kind of piece of ****, which says a lot for the wrestling business.

All I can ask for from WWE is that they give Styles/Nakamura a solid 20-25 in a few weeks and they steal the show.

I’ve been watching quite a bit of 2004 Smackdown on the network lately. A few things stand out.

-The awesomeness of Eddie Guerrero. I miss seeing him every week so much. His title win was a great moment.

-The evil authority was overplayed by this point, but Paul Heyman is a fun one to watch.

-Brock Lesnar was hitting on all cylinders. They actually let him speak and his promos weren’t bad at all. Hard to believe his first WWE run was only 2 years long.

Back