The Witcher netflix series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding any claims that Sapkowski didn't deliberately push for strong female characters:

Andrzej Sapkowski: Being an avid fantasy reader I was sometimes really bored and disgusted with the stories in which the hero could easily have sex with any woman he wished because every woman was willing and eager to have sex with him.

In such stories the woman was the prize of the hero, a spoil of a warrior – and as such had nothing to say, could only moan and faint in the hero’s powerful embrace. I am aware of the fact that only in contact with the opposite sex – be it attraction, affectuation, confrontation or opposition – can a literary hero be fully grown.

Creating the character of Yennefer I wanted Geralt to be fully grown – but I decided to complicate things a little. I created a woman character who simply refuses to be a fantasy cliché.

Or that he doesn't explore politics and racism:

Sapkowski: In my books elves consider themselves better than humans, physically as well as intellectually. They consider their culture and tradition more developed and complex, in their eyes humans are primitive barbarians.

Themselves not being products of the evolution, elves despise humans as “originated from animals”. You may call it racism, yes. But their alliance with Nilfgaard is mainly politics – they band together with the stronger and victorious ally and hope to gain from such alliance. The younger elves – the ones around 100 years old – are however violent hotheads believing in armed resistance, guerilla war and terrorism.

It's true that Sapkowski doesn't consider himself a social commentator, but don't pretend like the content of the books doesn't explore these ideas at all.

You'd think on a forum of adults collecting toys, the members would be more accepting of the niche, fringe or otherwise disenfranchised groups in society, but it appears most haven't gotten out of the "Eww, girls, gross" phase of life.

Interesting perspectives on both sides. Perhaps what rubs people the wrong way is that, today, when creators include social commentary in their work, it's typically the same, "accepted by peer group" commentary, and not anything inspiring. It's sort of like when actors go on anti-Conservative, anti-Trump rants, surrounded by people who feel the same, and then are cheered on for being brave or having taken a risk.

It just gets old. Most people don't need to be lectured on misogyny, racism, etc., they are just normal people, living their lives and providing for a family and want to be entertained and not lectured.

I wouldn't call hammering biased ideas into people's head a lecture tho. It's just too polite. :lol

Good way to end on a one-sided discussion.

:chug

I'm just here for entertainment. I've learned when having a "discussion" is helpful, and when it's an utter waste of time.

Looking forward to the show.

So - moving on, is anyone at all curious what the quality of the special effects will be on this? Most of the Netflix shows I've watched don't really need to rely on much CGI. So I have no clue how good this will look. I wonder what kind of budget they've got...

I'd LOVE some practical effects, buuut...not getting my hopes up. I think I'm one of only five people or so who misses puppets and animatronics. :rotfl

I heard Cavil wanted to play as Geralt but didn't actually expect him to be cast just like that. We'll see how this plays out.

572CDA57-E885-4993-B1DA-053A1F9D6E0F.jpeg

Since all the haters were so adamant that Hissrich would cast a black Geralt, I wonder what new complaint they'll conjure up.

What don’t you like?

Maybe because I always see other interpretations of Geralt on many mediums, like the Polish comics and The Witcher video game series. And it looks nothing like Cavill. He's pretty and has a strong face lines. I always thought Geralt is not a handsome guy. I can kinda see Cavill with beard and long hair, but the books set before the games and if he's clean shaven I can't see him as Geralt. Always thought they will go with a less popular actor, that's why I said Netflix need a star power. Zach McGowan is my choice for Geralt, he read the books and wanted to play him too. I guess we'll see how this turns out.

Last edited:
The only things that could hold this up from being successful is the writing and budget.

So ciri isn't going to be white? Great way to take people out of it before it even begins.

:slap

If a character is white cast them that way! If a character is black cast them that way! Simple! Quit trying to pander!

Back