The things I feared the most while collecting statues.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Vs code : "Statues before hoes". I think i would have seriously reexamined my whole collecting philosophy if it meant saving my relationship with a chick i liked.
Punani > Statues :lecture

Nah.. There was no saving... Once I start living with her, she was constantly nagging at me. I fell out of love with her after a year of this. :monkey1

if they are just boxes, put them in storage or attic...you can clear it all out and make room for your toy display.

Because money is useless paper based on owed debt only recognized by society because of it's current status. If there was an economic collapse it would be hard to barter for needs with dirty colored paper.

Then again comic/pop culture based statues may not be that much better.

Of course if he decided to collect gold or silver then that would be more worth while. :monkey1

I see you subscribe to the schiff report as well. For the record I completely agree.

Just been through this thread and cant believe that some of you would actually put your family before your collection...what is this world coming to...it is a sad situation :monkey2

I'm glad I'm still single. But not much longer, I hope I can last. :pray:

once you give in to the female charm (or male charm) whichever you prefer :wink1: then your collections will suffer! Yes, thats right, once you start a relationship then you will find that the money you saved for a new Premium Format will suddenly be spent on wining and dining, extravagant presents such as perfume and chocolates, holidays, flowers...DONT DO IT!!!!! DONT GIVE IN!!!!! The Hulk Maquette is waiting for you, that is all you need! :stick

once you give in to the female charm (or male charm) whichever you prefer :wink1: then your collections will suffer! Yes, thats right, once you start a relationship then you will find that the money you saved for a new Premium Format will suddenly be spent on wining and dining, extravagant presents such as perfume and chocolates, holidays, flowers...DONT DO IT!!!!! DONT GIVE IN!!!!! The Hulk Maquette is waiting for you, that is all you need! :stick

You just aren't doing it right. I am married and do all of those things and I still collect like a mad man.

I keep my collecting in check by buying on displayability basis, if I can't display it, I don't buy it, it works for me cause I buy only pieces that I cant be without, and eliminates any possibility of impulse buys, if it's a preorder I start planning as soon as I place it, and if it's an already released piece then I give myself atleast a month, but I always worry about where I'm gonna put it first then I buy, your collection in boxes in a room somewhere to me is like not having it.

That's been my approach for the last 2 years. I reached a point were more stuff was in my collection than I could reasonably display so I started focusing more on what figures I really wanted and adjusted my pre-ordering habits. When I was building the collection I'd buy just about anything that interested me, now I'm very selective and buy very little from modern properties and only from films I love.

if they are just boxes, put them in storage or attic...you can clear it all out and make room for your toy display.

I'd have to agree with this... a storage unit should be safe for empty boxes and will free up all of that space. Maybe as a reward that room (which is a fair size) could be a 2nd display area for either additional statues or the toys in the other room.

If you think about our buying habits, adding a monthly storage unit fee would be a drop in the bucket :lol

That's been my approach for the last 2 years. I reached a point were more stuff was in my collection than I could reasonably display so I started focusing more on what figures I really wanted and adjusted my pre-ordering habits.

Yeah. I bought a spiffy lighted curio that makes my figures look spectacular and now I just buy what fits on the shelves. I'll actually have some additional pieces in a closet that I'll switch out with some of the items in the curio so that all pieces have their moments in the limelight.

I am now forced to to manage a collection of like 15-16 figures/PF's TOPS which might sound incredibly meager on this site but I realized that I wanted a really nice clutter free display and I figured that if I'm gnashing my teeth over not buying my *17th* favorite figure then I'm probably being pretty ridiculous. :D

Yep, I think setting some kind of limit on your collection is healthy and allows you to really focus on the pieces you really love and enjoy. Maybe its one curio, maybe it's a huge basement. But when it takes over the whole house, or leaves areas non-functional I think you're getting into problematic territory.

Even when I used to live with a fellow collector (my good friend Sladesuperagent) we kept our collections mostly in our own rooms and then had one small shelf in the living room where we had a selection of figures on display. It could have easily looked like a toystore in our place, but we decided to "keep it classy" :lecture

i decided on one thing anyway, cutting down on 1/6 figures and 1/4 figures except for something that i really like the terminator series, Dark knight series

For the most part my partner approves of my collecting habits, but he's basically restricted me to one room of the house. I keep pestering him to let me move some stuff into other rooms of the house, but it's probably not going to happen. I've gotta start rationing space, sucks :-\

Nice part is that I talk to him about so many statues that I want that he never really has to guess what to get me for Christmas or Birthday :yess:

Yep, I think setting some kind of limit on your collection is healthy and allows you to really focus on the pieces you really love and enjoy. Maybe its one curio, maybe it's a huge basement.

Good point. I say "one curio" because I have my figures displayed in the living/family room and the single lighted curio route is my way of "keeping it classy." But that's just because we have a three bedroom house with all rooms occupied. :)

Our next place will be four bedrooms with a full on man cave/home office which will probably mean at least one additional curio plus an item or two displayed on my desk.

Every living space will have it's ideal setup.

Oh no! Please don't say this, I put so much into my collection and cant see it go. :horror

Back