The Real face of Jesus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the main purpose of the documentary was to show White Supremacists and people who just have the view that Jesus was this blond blue eyed hippy, that if he did exist he would be a dark skinned man. While it's seems an accurate point of view to me, I see no other reason for the doc than that. Problem is most people with extreme point of views on race are never going to buy it

Nope. They'll just chock it up to being another liberal conspiracy. You can't make people think (especially people who have never done it a day in their life).

I think the main purpose of the documentary was to show White Supremacists and people who just have the view that Jesus was this blond blue eyed hippy, that if he did exist he would be a dark skinned man. While it's seems an accurate point of view to me, I see no other reason for the doc than that. Problem is most people with extreme point of views on race are never going to buy it

Is that REALLY a wide spread view?

I think the artistic history of Jesus' visage is being continued for convenience more than for a political or social message.

I don't know if many Christians individually believe that the "white washed" Byzantine or Roman interpretation of Christ is literal. At a pretty young age I knew that the art depicting Jesus was not the same as a picture from Rembrant or Stuart. I knew that the art was coming centuries after Jesus was alive (or rumored to have been alive).

When a theater director or artist changes Jesus' image dramatically, such as hiring a black actor, I think there is a general sensationalism created by media and by the mob because its contrary to what everyone has been accustomed to, I'm not sure its because at an individual level anyone really thinks the customary portrail was accurate.

Scholars have also questioned the scrawny Jesus we always see depicted in art. His critics called him a glutton and its interesting that when he turned the tables in the marketplace not one merchant rose to stop him. I think its fair to assume he may have been a fairly big dude. :)

Scholars have also questioned the scrawny Jesus we always see depicted in art. His critics called him a glutton and its interesting that when he turned the tables in the marketplace not one merchant rose to stop him. I think its fair to assume he may have been a fairly big dude. :)

Seeing as he was a carpenter, I would assume that would be quite obvious. :)

I never really considered pictures of Jesus as "scrawny" aside from pictures of the cruxifiction which could be explained as 1) were occuring during a period of fasting and 2) definately have artist embellishment for dramatic effect regarding the cruelty he was experiencing and sacrifice he was making.

I don't know if I consider most non-passion depictions to be of a "scrawny" Jesus.

If you believe in Jesus' divinity, I'm thinking when Jesus was turning tables in the temple that he definately had the power of God in him and that most people could see something "possessed" him which was not to be messed with. :lol

Scholars have also questioned the scrawny Jesus we always see depicted in art. His critics called him a glutton and its interesting that when he turned the tables in the marketplace not one merchant rose to stop him. I think its fair to assume he may have been a fairly big dude.

Assuming the marketplace story isn't an exaggeration by a hagiographer, I've seen instances in real life where people are so stunned by outrageous behavior they just don't react at all.

Assuming the marketplace story isn't an exaggeration by a hagiographer, I've seen instances in real life where people are so stunned by outrageous behavior they just don't react at all.

This is true too. Imagine if your local highschool gymnasium was hosting a craft fair and someone started running around flipping tables and stuff and yelling about how the gym should be used for atheltics instead. It would probably throw people for a loop.

Now imagine someone doing this when they actually had a valid case against the vendors. I'm sure a lot of people were looking at Jesus going "you know he's absolutely right".

I think the artistic history of Jesus' visage is being continued for convenience more than for a political or social message.

I don't know if many Christians individually believe that the "white washed" Byzantine or Roman interpretation of Christ is literal. At a pretty young age I knew that the art depicting Jesus was not the same as a picture from Rembrant or Stuart. I knew that the art was coming centuries after Jesus was alive (or rumored to have been alive).

When a theater director or artist changes Jesus' image dramatically, such as hiring a black actor, I think there is a general sensationalism created by media and by the mob because its contrary to what everyone has been accustomed to, I'm not sure its because at an individual level anyone really thinks the customary portrail was accurate.

I don't think that is a widespread view, I think the two categories I mentioned in my first sentence would be a minority

The best type of Actor to use to play Jesus would be somebody who could pass off as Palestinian, that's if you were going for accuracy IMO

I don't think that is a widespread view, I think the two categories I mentioned in my first sentence would be a minority

The best type of Actor to use to play Jesus would be somebody who could pass off as Palestinian, that's if you were going for accuracy IMO

Do we really know what color people were back in those days?

It's been too long since I've been to bible school, but I THINK I remember being taught that Jesus looked different to different people. That is, we saw what we wanted to see. I think that makes sense.

Last edited:
epicfacepalm.jpg

No. But it doesn't need to be widespread for there to be value in debunking the fallacy in a forum as public as the History channel.

ProgMatinee said:

It's not, but there's a flipside to the white supremacist angle, and that's the desire to paint all of those who are white and believe in Jesus as being no different from those who are white supremacist and believe in Jesus.

Back