The Re-birth of United Cutlery

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I have sort of been sitting on that info for a while now.
Good things to come!

Here are some old favorites!

https://threads.rebelscum.com/showthreaded.php?Number=1979469

I really have to update....I have a few more pieces....A few more of the large scale German dolls (Three more to be exact, two of which are unavailable prototypes!) and some of other statues and props.

That is an awsome collection you have there. I love your giant ROTK wall art! Amazing!

I have most of the UC stuff, I think I'm only missing the staffs and the LE Anduril. But why would the re-produce the old swords? They had trouble selling them and some of the editions were too high, which brought prices why down, which made the company go under. I would rather see them make new stuff and leave the old stuff be.

The problem I heard with the Elven sword was it was too hard to make. I was told that whoever was making them had alot of problems and couldn't make the demand. At the same time UC was having "troubles" which is why the sword is so rare. I bought 2 when I heard the news and should of bought more. Still have 1 left.

But I would like to see new stuff from UC, but if they go the route of making new with the old it will probably be a bad move. Its almost like SS re-releasing some of its old stuff, imagine that. UC has to re-build their name not hurt it. Theres alot of cool stuff still to be made with the line.

Hey Capt'n, do you happen to know the Elven name and its Westron translation of Faramir's blade?

You know, I don't! I've looked through his writings for years trying to find it to no avail. If there is any information on it, it would have to be extra-textual.

I did learn that of all the characters in LOTR, Tolkien considered Faramir to be the most like himself. Now that is high praise indeed!

I found some great pictures of the blade; what a fantastic sword!

fsword2.jpg

f_birds.jpg

I also love the twin raven motif on his sword, it's one of the loveliest symbols in the movies;

f_bigbirds.jpg

I have most of the UC stuff, I think I'm only missing the staffs and the LE Anduril. But why would the re-produce the old swords? They had trouble selling them and some of the editions were too high, which brought prices why down, which made the company go under. I would rather see them make new stuff and leave the old stuff be.

The problem I heard with the Elven sword was it was too hard to make. I was told that whoever was making them had alot of problems and couldn't make the demand. At the same time UC was having "troubles" which is why the sword is so rare. I bought 2 when I heard the news and should of bought more. Still have 1 left.

But I would like to see new stuff from UC, but if they go the route of making new with the old it will probably be a bad move. Its almost like SS re-releasing some of its old stuff, imagine that. UC has to re-build their name not hurt it. Theres alot of cool stuff still to be made with the line.

They are producing new pieces....Lots.
Why would the reissue old ones? Because there is still a demand for them....granted, but as intense, but some of them go for obscene amounts of money on the aftermarket.
They are not reissuing every piece. But you bet you'll see the baddy stuff and I wouldn't put it past them to hit the Elven Warrior sword too....and then the old standbys, Sting and Glamdring.
I wouldn't count on seeing the Rohan pieces though. But hey, who knows...well, I know who knows, but let's see what they decide! :eek: :p

There was one piece I always wanted: Museum Collection Anduril.

Here's hoping! :cool:

This is good news to me if it means they will produce some of the fantastic proposed pieces that were never made. The one I'd like to have most would be the MC Anduril. I already have the LE version, it's a beauty and I love it, but it's still just a wall hanger sword. I'd really like to have a high quality spring steel blade w/ full tang to go with the scabbard and belt that are still waiting for it. There are a few blades and other pieces I'd like to pick up, too, especially if they decide to reissue some of the older models. I'm looking forward to seeing what they offer, anyway.

Doing re-issues I'm sure will piss alot of people off. Most didn't sell well anyways, and the LOTR line isn't as "hot" as it used to be. UC was making these swords when the films were in the movies. Even SS has problems selling LOTR stuff now. I don't see a comeback to be hopeful.

They should make all new products, low editions, and some really low editions. The only talk about UC now is the stuff they made that is hard to get. They should build on what they did not re-build it becuase it didn't work the 1st time. Have to wait and see what happens.

Hopefully UC can learn from the past. I did quite well with the swords for years the profit margin was really low sometimes only 10% on an item but I still carried it and loved the products. They moved well with very little breakage issue etc. The downfall for UC IMO was wholesalers started to sell directly to consumers at under or right at what retailers were paying. I know this was great for people trying to collect all the swords but it cost UC a big hunk of their smaller retailer customers that were paying the higher wholesale price then the wholesalers were paying. This is what caused a large number of the problems for UC. Pretty simple if the 2 big guys buy it for 15% percent less than the 10 little guys that are buying it for and start selling to the public at the price the smaller guys are paying they simply put them out of business and keep the 15% that was once UC's money. It got to a point where ordering them made no sense so UC lost mine and many other retailers business because they could not or would not reign in the larger wholesale accounts. I really would love to carry UC again but I am cautiously optimistic.

From the collector/consumer's side of things, being able to buy UC products at below retail is why I was able to collect the pieces I have today. I'm sure lots of other collectors could say the same. If I'd had to pay full retail for each piece, I would've been forced to be extremely selective of the pieces I chose to buy, which still cost no small amount of money, even at the prices I paid.

While I completely understand how difficult this made things for retailers, and in the end, for United Cutlery, it was an opportunity that was just too good to pass up at the time. I wasn't even aware it would cause such big problems later on. I hope this time around UC will have a better marketing strategy worked out beforehand, so that nobody will be left holding the short end of the stick.

As NASEDO said, interest in LOTR has cooled considerably and the demand for high-end collectibles such as replica weapons and so forth will probably be limited to dedicated LOTR collectors. I agree that a rehash of older pieces would not go over well, and that wasn't exactly what I had in mind. Actually, I was thinking more of special reissues of selected pieces, such as they did with the Museum Collection swords. They could be low edition, high-quality "real" swords, for example, that would likely attract some new collectors, as well as satisfy some of us who may have missed out before. What I'd really like to see most is some of the amazing pieces that were only suggested and were never produced. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the license after this.

Finally, when (not if) "The Hobbit" is made, there will no doubt be a whole new wave of interest in Middle-earth weaponry and armour, and UC should by then be in a very good position to get back into the thick of things.

I'm really hoping that they make a GTG Staff. I would buy that in a second.

I second that one. I would have picked up the Noble Collection one, but after hearing how shoddy the quality of their swords/axes were, I was a little leery of spending $300 or $400 or however much it was.

Back