The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon Prime Video - September 2, 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure about the magic though. I haven't worked with that before. :LOL:

guy-long-hair.gif

With the money they spent they knew this was a guaranteed multi season project they even announced 5 seasons right…

YET they didn’t film S1 and S2 back to back and now we are 2-3 years away from the next season :slap

I hope fans buy less toilet paper from Amazon for their sheer stupidity lol

What annoys the bag off me is Celebrimbor, the elven master smith doesn’t know the basics of metallurgy. What is an alloy?
We learnt that in 1st engineering class as 12 year olds.
Writing in the series is shockingly bad. It’s like the writers knew the gist of the story and fan fictioned the life out of it.
I’m not hyped at all for season 2.
Least it’ll be 2024 before it arrives.

You know that scene in LOTR where epic music swells and Elrond looks on as the Blade is reforged? And then there was this series, where Celebrimbor acts like someone who needs help getting dressed. There was so much idiocy capped off with a cheesy song. It sounded like the noise a couple of cats make who are having a staredown, before they try to disembowel each other. I can't even.

You know that scene in LOTR where epic music swells and Elrond looks on as the Blade is reforged? And then there was this series, where Celebrimbor acts like someone who needs help getting dressed. There was so much idiocy capped off with a cheesy song. It sounded like the noise a couple of cats make who are having a staredown, before they try to disembowel each other. I can't even.
Their meet and greet was pretty epic especially when Halbrand showed him the basics of forging…

Halbrand left.

Celebrimbor right.

65E637D8-C2DB-4C4A-A670-DCCA03DF8589.jpeg

54ACFA4A-A19F-40B6-A2AC-456F3D25431C.jpeg

5F9C7556-2CA0-42E7-B56E-C4B908464676.jpeg

With the money they spent they knew this was a guaranteed multi season project they even announced 5 seasons right…

YET they didn’t film S1 and S2 back to back and now we are 2-3 years away from the next season :slap

Actually it's not a bad overall strategy given the current situation. Obviously it's not ideal in a general sense.

The show is getting bad reviews and fan backlash. The way this first season ended, it's a good segueway for a "time jump"

Once they do that, they can recast some parts. Which sort of sucks for Morfrydd Clark, since she can only read what's on the script page. I mean I don't think any actress could have cleaned up that dialogue. The strength of the show is Durin and Elrond, that's what's getting the most positive fan response and it's tone is the most in line with what Peter Jackson did previously. I'd bet house money that the next season will focus on them more.

Time away will let the production rework the story and the scripts. This show needs a soft reboot. I mean even Bezos has to figure that out by now. More time also will let the anger of fans dissipate a little bit.

In some cases, a really long lag will kill the show. Marco Polo had a huge lag between it's two seasons but it was really a well made show, just expensive. But the time gap helped kill it. This IP is much different, it has a legacy fan base. Also it's a vanity project for Jeff Bezos.

Actually it's not a bad overall strategy given the current situation. Obviously it's not ideal in a general sense.

The show is getting bad reviews and fan backlash. The way this first season ended, it's a good segueway for a "time jump"

Once they do that, they can recast some parts. Which sort of sucks for Morfrydd Clark, since she can only read what's on the script page. I mean I don't think any actress could have cleaned up that dialogue. The strength of the show is Durin and Elrond, that's what's getting the most positive fan response and it's tone is the most in line with what Peter Jackson did previously. I'd bet house money that the next season will focus on them more.

Time away will let the production rework the story and the scripts. This show needs a soft reboot. I mean even Bezos has to figure that out by now. More time also will let the anger of fans dissipate a little bit.

In some cases, a really long lag will kill the show. Marco Polo had a huge lag between it's two seasons but it was really a well made show, just expensive. But the time gap helped kill it. This IP is much different, it has a legacy fan base. Also it's a vanity project for Jeff Bezos.
The delay in seasons with this particular show won’t address the core license problems that fans are complaining about which is that these are made up plots not attached to the books.

Season 2 could be 7 years away and they still won’t have the full license required to tell the full accurate story.

So yeah not being ready with S2 for 2023 is a huge FAIL on their part almost unprecedented in Hollywood TV production actually.

Just caught up with the two last episodes, and while the show is getting somewhat better, it's still very flawed.
I thought the entire Sauron thing was silly and poorly written, and those three witches were as un-Tolkien as they could be, to my eyes at least...
So, who knows how this will turn out in three years' time.

Just caught up with the two last episodes, and while the show is getting somewhat better, it's still very flawed.
I thought the entire Sauron thing was silly and poorly written, and those three witches were as un-Tolkien as they could be, to my eyes at least...
So, who knows how this will turn out in three years' time.
I've made my underwhelmed feelings about this show clear, but as for the Witches .. or what appear to my geek brain as a Lich, a Cleric and some kind of Fighter ... LOL .. my biggest problem with them beyond them seeming to be be overpowered female Nazgul...is that they're so badass but somehow can't tell the difference between The Dark Lord and one of the Istari :slap ...

... and of course the Istari shows up as a blithering idiot.

I see what the nearly useless writers on this show tried to do -- riffing off of Gandalf's apparent disorientation following his resurrection (or close enough) after the Balrog fight ... but whereas Gandalf the White was slightly forgetful until faced with his companions (literally 2 to 5 minutes in Peter Jackson's film) ... this iteration falls to Middle Earth (instead of simply 'appearing' as I recall from the Appendices or what have you) and is so addled, childlike and incompetent he nearly injures innocents on more than one occasion. :slap

The Dark Lord and one of the Istari :slap ...
I mean it kind of makes sense, they’re of the same race and Sauron also has power over fire.
... and of course the Istari shows up as a blithering idiot.

I see what the nearly useless writers on this show tried to do -- riffing off of Gandalf's apparent disorientation following his resurrection (or close enough) after the Balrog fight ... but whereas Gandalf the White was slightly forgetful until faced with his companions (literally 2 to 5 minutes in Peter Jackson's film) ... this iteration falls to Middle Earth (instead of simply 'appearing' as I recall from the Appendices or what have you) and is so addled, childlike and incompetent he nearly injures innocents on more than one occasion. :slap
If this is the first time Gandalf had ever assumed a corporeal form it’d make sense for them to be disorientated and in an infantile state. They don’t know the language, they don’t know how anything works. They’re essentially formless angel like beings that exist in a different plane of existence no?

I mean it kind of makes sense, they’re of the same race and Sauron also has power over fire.
It just seems like too great a margin for error, but maybe that's just me.
If this is the first time Gandalf had ever assumed a corporeal form it’d make sense for them to be disorientated and in an infantile state. They don’t know the language, they don’t know how anything works. They’re essentially formless angel like beings that exist in a different plane of existence no?
The only reference I recall to the Istari was likely from some appendices I read many years ago, something about them "appearing in the West during the ______ age" and they are more or less 'angelic' with limits on how much they can intervene or in what manner ... regardless of my sketchy memory, I find it hard to swallow that Iluvatar would send his badasses down only to be reduced to the level of simpletons and capable of inadvertently harming innocent people. Sure, there are ways to talk around it or rationalize it, but in my opinion it seems kinda sloppy.

Not sure if it’s because the board changed so much or this show just sucks so bad. It’s a damn shame that this thread isn’t hundreds of pages long.
I've skimmed the comments, but I have zero interest in this show. I would have given it a chance if the feedback was good, but life is too short to watch a 6-7/10 TV show when there are hundreds that are 8+/10.

I don't know what Amazon was thinking handing over this series to a couple of guys with no real writing credits other than being uncredited writers on Star Trek Beyond. This is the type of show where surely you'd want creators with demonstrated experience.

The delay in seasons with this particular show won’t address the core license problems that fans are complaining about which is that these are made up plots not attached to the books.

Season 2 could be 7 years away and they still won’t have the full license required to tell the full accurate story.

So yeah not being ready with S2 for 2023 is a huge FAIL on their part almost unprecedented in Hollywood TV production actually.
I find all the complaints about this show not following Tolkein's books to be rather curious when it is based on The Silmarillion, which itself was a work assembled after Tolkein's death by his son that he felt best approximated his father's intentions. As Tolkein himself didn't bother to finish and release the book himself, I take these "non-Tolkein" critiques with a grain of salt. Regardless, it's apparent that changes are necessary to adapt this story to a different medium, even at a length of 40 hours of screen time. For all we know Tolkein might have had similar complaints about some of the changes Jackson made to the LoTR trilogy.

As I am unburdened with the weight of being a self--appointed Tolkein scholar, I've taken the show at face value and have enjoyed it. Admittedly it's taken a while to set things up and initially was a bit scattershot with the plots, but it seems to have found its footing in the last half of the season.

I still have not finished the last two episodes. I have only watched the first two of Andor for that matter.

I am tired of these shows drawing out the story with filler dialogue. Everything that has happened in the first 6 episodes could have been told in half the time.

I enjoyed the first two episodes of Andor but I noticed its doing the same thing and its killing my excitement for it. Does not help that its October and all im watching are horror movies :lol But either way I should be swept up by these shows and not looking at my watch.

I still have not finished the last two episodes. I have only watched the first two of Andor for that matter.

I am tired of these shows drawing out the story with filler dialogue. Everything that has happened in the first 6 episodes could have been told in half the time.

I enjoyed the first two episodes of Andor but I noticed its doing the same thing and its killing my excitement for it. Does not help that its October and all im watching are horror movies :lol But either way I should be swept up by these shows and not looking at my watch.
Stick with it!

I find all the complaints about this show not following Tolkein's books to be rather curious when it is based on The Silmarillion, which itself was a work assembled after Tolkein's death by his son that he felt best approximated his father's intentions. As Tolkein himself didn't bother to finish and release the book himself, I take these "non-Tolkein" critiques with a grain of salt. Regardless, it's apparent that changes are necessary to adapt this story to a different medium, even at a length of 40 hours of screen time. For all we know Tolkein might have had similar complaints about some of the changes Jackson made to the LoTR trilogy.

As I am unburdened with the weight of being a self--appointed Tolkein scholar, I've taken the show at face value and have enjoyed it. Admittedly it's taken a while to set things up and initially was a bit scattershot with the plots, but it seems to have found its footing in the last half of the season.

Yeah there is a lot of 'book accurate' criticism that feels disingenuous when you consider how much would have to be invented no matter how faithful you were to the lore. The second age isn't a narrative, it's a fairly brief historical document. A list of 100 Numenorian kings doesn't translate into a good television show. A fair amount of deviation should be expected, if not required to stitch together something watchable.

That's not to say everything the show has done has been the best choice. I was enjoying it for the most part but I have to say the reveals of the finale were very underwhelming to me.

Back