The Lord of the Rings Polystone Statue and PF Lines are alive!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, first time posting in this "realm" of the board. Picked up the exclusive Dark Rider of Mordor on eBay. Piece was new and had never been opened.

Gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed. For $800, it's awfully brittle, and that horse feels like it will crack open if bumped even slightly. In the process of set up (which took a long time due to the robes and almost illegible instructions), several of the buckles on the scabbard ties fell off. I didn't even really handle them. The whole thing just feels cheap. I'm shocked, actually, because I have a couple dozen Sideshow pieces and while some have cheap feeling parts, this entire piece feels cheap.

Before I bought it, I read through some comments on various forums, and there didn't seem to be many complaints. And the statue looked killer at this year's SDCC.

Anyone else have the statue? What are your thoughts?

Here's the official thread for it. Ask there........

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59553

As a bust? Are you thinking of the old SSW days? They ended in 2005 my friend ;) Weta have the statue line back, but no-ones done 1/4 scale busts since then. I think the GG LOTR busts were a bit larger, but they didn't last long. Sideshow done a few legendary scale busts, but that's finished too. The only busts currently being done are The Hobbit ones by GG.

And yeah.... GTW on Shadowfax as a PF? I really wouldn't get your hopes up ;)

Yep I am. I had most of those back then but sold in favor of PFs. But now I'd go back and pick up certain characters to round out the line. I'm just POed there was never a Denathor.
As for GtW on Shadowfax, you never know. Still the most popular character in the series.

If you go to the coming soon section on SSC, they still have The Hobbit announcement pic with a "More info" link on it. Click that and it'll will say "Page Not Found".

:rotflThis is so profoundly hilarious! It should read "Middle-earth Not Found"!:rotfl

So it's now been over 3 weeks since Comic-con ended... where's that Middle Earth tease we were promised, Sideshow? Or when you said in the coming weeks, did you really mean months, maybe years????

From SSAlex over at statueforum:

Hey SSAlex,

Since you're answering questions here regarding pre-orders, maybe you can also tell us when we can expect that long-teased tease concerning your next offering from Middle Earth????

There's some things in the works for LOTR for sure, when they will be revealed? Exactly when they're meant to. ;-)

From SSAlex over at statueforum:

Hey SSAlex,

Since you're answering questions here regarding pre-orders, maybe you can also tell us when we can expect that long-teased tease concerning your next offering from Middle Earth????

There's some things in the works for LOTR for sure, when they will be revealed? Exactly when they're meant to. ;-)

:rotfl Typical non commital answer... but at least it is topical :wink1:

Here is the reply when I asked for more specifics:

Thanks! But could you be a little more specific...

Sorry...I cannot.

They must enjoy frustrating their customers... :cuckoo:

some things in the works for LOTR for sure

Heck..for all we know...this could mean that the license transition for Middle-earth is 'in the works'. What a lame answer!

It's all just speculation anyway until anything is actually confirmed...I mean,who know's what to believe? :dunno

On the one hand,SS's silence and "non-answers" to customer's questions doesn't exactly fill one with confidence about the future of this license...in fact,to some,it looks like the writing is on the wall already....but ultimately,no-one knows for sure...

I mean,I read a post somewhere on here a week or so back,and someone said that "a reliable source" on another forum said there were currently 6 (count 'em 6!!) middle-earth collectibles currently in various stages of production and/or conception...imagine if that were true???!!! :panic:

But as we learned from all the speculation leading up to SDCC,these "sources" are not always entirely accurate!

One thing I definitely think is confusing,is the way SS (don't) communicate...I mean,for either way they don't clarify...they won't come out and tell us they are done,yet they won't say ANYTHING specific about ANY new products either....what do they gain from this?

I mean,if they DO have products currently in design/production..why be so secretive about them? Surely they would want to keep the fans excited and interested? Especially with weta now seriously giving them a run for their money....but maybe that's it,maybe they ARE quitting with ME and therefore are happy to let weta take over...:gah: it's so confusing!!!

SS has confirmed that they are (pending approval) definately thinking about (license permitting) releasing (subject to development costings) a possible Middle Earth/ Hobbit/ Lord of the Rings related product in the forseeable future (lens focus variable). Information to follow soon :lecture

Weather permitting and Sarumans mood :wink1:

I mean,I read a post somewhere on here a week or so back,and someone said that "a reliable source" on another forum said there were currently 6 (count 'em 6!!) middle-earth collectibles currently in various stages of production and/or conception...imagine if that were true???!!! :panic:

As many as 6! Weta churn that out in a single Comic-Con :lol

Sideshow have always been secretive, nothing new there. For some reason they don't like communicating with fans, and certainly don't ask our opinions. A very stark contrast to Weta indeed.

As many as 6! Weta churn that out in a single Comic-Con :lol

Oh well whooopeee for you :pfft: ...no need to gloat and rub it in.

You know,it would be nice if all the weta collector's actually spared a thought for people who collect mainly SS,and were sensitive to their frustrations...instead of just saying "who cares,I collect weta now" and things of that nature...some of us don't like weta character statues and so only have SS's (complete lack of) new characters to look forward to.

This is not just a knock at you FE,but rather a general observation btw :lecture

You know,it would be nice if all the weta collector's actually spared a thought for people who collect mainly SS,and were sensitive to their frustrations...instead of just saying "who cares,I collect weta now" and things of that nature...some of us don't like weta character statues and so only have SS's (complete lack of) new characters to look forward to.

This is not just a knock at you FE,but rather a general observation btw :lecture

The thing is is that we have all been down this road several times with the decline of different LOTR lines. It's down to the last 'lines' now with PF and maybe LSF's, so people have moved on to other places to get their fix, but they still (I think :wink1: ) carry a slim hope that something will change. It's a bit of a masochistic thing where we want to come here to see good news, but we know the odds for that are getting slimmer :(
So, we do the old scorn thing and secretly weep for another diminishing source to feed our ME habbit :monkey2

Now to focus on WETA! :nana:
:1-1:

And i don't get the whole 'good for YOU' thing, and why i'm gloating? Aren't we all Middle-Earth collectors? Collectors of merchandise from the film? So i don't get why others don't just collect from Weta, unless you're just a PF collector? If so i understand, but i only collect statues so i guess it IS good for me! Plus with Sideshow's abandonment of the EU warehouse, it's like they're saying 'sod you', so i don't really mind saying 'sod you' back and sticking with Weta if Sideshow do want to pack it in.

So i don't get why others don't just collect from Weta, unless you're just a PF collector? If so i understand, but i only collect statues so i guess it IS good for me! Plus with Sideshow's abandonment of the EU warehouse, it's like they're saying 'sod you', so i don't really mind saying 'sod you' back and sticking with Weta if Sideshow do want to pack it in.

PF's are my main focus,so yeah.

I started collecting after the warehouse was already closed...it sucks so bad and I bet it rightfully po'd a lot of people...what year did they close it?

I can't remember now.... sometime during my diorama collecting days i think.
I remember back in 2002 they didn't have an EU warehouse, and my first order was the SSW Bilbo Baggins, but back then shipping was cheap, and Bilbo wasnt exactly big.

I hereby dedicate my 1000th post to tell Sideshow:

For goodness sake, please please PLEASE, release/tease/whatever ANYTHING Middle-Earth Related. :pray:

As long as it's a Gimli, Bilbo or Thorin PF. :lecture:lol

Back